Page 44 of 74 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Two questions for the fans here...
    1: How do you feel about the X-Men as a whole? Do you...Love it. Like it. Hate it. Don't care for it?
    2: How do you feel about the current Summer Event with the Avengers included?

I'm asking because there's a theory that the various fan-bases are so very divided and separate from each other (not my experience) and that Marvel is using that division to their advantage (whatever that may be).
    Answers:

1. Prefered them when they were a team of heroes, not a nation. I really haven't followed X-Men (which I liked a lot up to the mid 90's) ever since Schism. The Island-nation hook really made it completely unintresting for me. As for the Eternals, though you didn't ask, as with the Inhumans, IMHO, they always worked better for me in smaller doses, or as VERY special guest-stars. For exemple, love Gilgamesh and Sersi as Avengers, and loved a few of the one-shots they had over the years, however, never could really get into any of their OG series.

2. I'm waiting for it in TPB (I mostly only read things in collected format nowadays). I'm trying to keep an open mind and not get much spoilery information about it (hard to do nowadays), but, so far, of what I've glimpsed, the art seems to be the only thing I might enjoy of it. It doesn't help that I'm also not enjoying at all the current Avengers phase. However, let's see.

As for Marvel pitching fanbase against fanbase, though not a strategy I can agree with, it's something Marvel has always done to garner intrest. But I do belive that, with the internet and the generally polarized moment we are living in, this has gotten completely out of hand.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    But I want them to go back to basics and shows it can still work .
    Yeah, me too.

Peace
    Ditto.

1: How do you feel about the X-Men as a whole? Do you...Love it. Like it. Hate it. Don't care for it?

I'm asking because there's a theory that the various fan-bases are so very divided and separate from each other (not my experience) and that Marvel is using that division to their advantage (whatever that may be).
    1. Love the X-Men! I read both X-Men and Avengers, though currently hating Avengers at the moment..... just waiting for a new writer to come in.

2. It's just another hero group Vs hero group which is getting tiring.

There's not really a divide on this site, but on twitter there certainly seems to be. It can be quite poisonous at times and the venom seems to come mainly from X-fans.

According to x-twitter you can't be a fan of both. The Avengers are Nazis or some kind of supremacist group. Some of the tweets are quite frankly bizarre.

I think the avengers live rent free in a lot of X-fans heads and the funny thing is, Avenger fans barely even mention the X-Men!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Thanks Nomads1 and Kevlon...I appreciate the insight.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

1) I give mad respect to the X-Men because they are a quintessential part of Marvel Comics. Mutants who fight a world that fears and hates them, the X-Men helped establish the idea of the outsider as a hero. That, along with other characters like Spider-Man, the Hulk, Namor, the Fantastic Four, and even the Avengers to an extent, helped establish Marvel as being different from other comic companies.

At the same time, I was jealous towards the X-Men. As a fan who came of age during the 90s, I remember them as being the number one, most popular heroes at Marvel. They had excellent writers, the cool, hip artists, the number one cartoon. Now, I enjoyed all of that. However, I saw the Avengers as being the dark horse characters in the shadow of the X-Men. Although labeled as "Earth's Mightiest Heroes," they weren't given that respect or recognition. Now, that's flipped. With the Avengers being the most well-known, bankable characters ever, I'm actually rooting for the X-Men. Over the past several years, I've been reading many X-Men storylines via Comixology. Mutant Massacre, Inferno, X-Tinction Agenda, Fatal Attractions, Grant Morrison's run, Second Coming, Fraction's run, Kieron Gillen's run, and some titles from the current Krakoa run, I've been reading bits and pieces to get a better sense of the X-Men. The process has been enjoyable, frustrating, enlightening, and infuriating. But I still yearn to learn more about them.

2) The summer event with the Avengers has been good, though unexpected. I was expecting just six issues of the X-Men, Eternals, and Avengers just kicking the crap out of one another, but with the latest developments in issue #2, I'm not sure where this story is heading. I think the Avengers are playing underdog peacekeepers among two incredibly powerful factions, which I appreciate. But last issue they were there for just a few pages and then gone. Eh, wanted to see them do more in there.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    1. Love the X-Men! I read both X-Men and Avengers, though currently hating Avengers at the moment..... just waiting for a new writer to come in.

There's not really a divide on this site, but on twitter there certainly seems to be. It can be quite poisonous at times and the venom seems to come mainly from X-fans.

According to x-twitter you can't be a fan of both. The Avengers are Nazis or some kind of supremacist group. Some of the tweets are quite frankly bizarre.

I think the avengers live rent free in a lot of X-fans heads and the funny thing is, Avenger fans barely even mention the X-Men!
    As a fan of both franchises this is my exact take the only negativity I see between the fandoms come from the X-fan side. Whether it be comments about the Avengers being cops, nazi's or the flatscan slur getting thrown around for everyone without a X-Gene.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    As a fan of both franchises this is my exact take the only negativity I see between the fandoms come from the X-fan side. Whether it be comments about the Avengers being cops, nazi's or the flatscan slur getting thrown around for everyone without a X-Gene.
    Negativity toward Avengers from some fans comes from more than a decade of X-men being thrown to the side, diminished or used to actively to promote the Avengers and Inhumans at their own expense, and a good part of Avengers fans actively denying that, some still doing it now that people Marvel all but confessed they deliberately sidelined X-men due to movie rights and Perlmutter being a petty asshole.

Also, it's pretty clear that Marvel actively promotes that negativity among fans to some extent, because Breevort already says their think controversy sells- and he's right in the short-term, although that damages the company in the long one, but I don't think they understood that yet.

That said, Twitter is a cesspool. Best not to waste your time there.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

That's a really interesting take, Tien Long...appreciate it, muchly.
    Steroid and Omega Alpha...yupp and yupp.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 08-19-2022 at 02:15 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Negativity toward Avengers from some fans comes from more than a decade of X-men being thrown to the side, diminished or used to actively to promote the Avengers and Inhumans at their own expense, and a good part of Avengers fans actively denying that, some still doing it now that people Marvel all but confessed they deliberately sidelined X-men due to movie rights and Perlmutter being a petty asshole.

Also, it's pretty clear that Marvel actively promotes that negativity among fans to some extent, because Breevort already says their think controversy sells- and he's right in the short-term, although that damages the company in the long one, but I don't think they understood that yet.

That said, Twitter is a cesspool. Best not to waste your time there.
    It's really more of a Marvel thing as opposed to an Avengers thing. It comes across like X-fans are given the ok to trash the Avengers fandom because of a corporate decision. Not saying that X fans shouldn't feel a certain way towards Marvel I'm just saying it's not the Avengers fault so the negativity is being directed in the wrong direction imo

Ultimate Member

I loved the X-men. I loved what Hickman did but I think the whole thing is a bit much now. I despise what they did with Moira and I couldn’t care less about Mystique and Destiny. I miss the X-men just being heroes. I have other problems with the franchise (with it not being a proper racism or discrimination metaphor anymore) but that’s a topic for a separate thread. The constant character changes, retcons and character adjustments becomes grating and starts to create a dissociative effect for some of us not really in favor of said changes. It seems characters are more driven by social media opinions rather than established continuity.

I’m enjoying A.X.E because it’s included the Eternals and outside of Gaiman it’s the first Eternals run that I’ve enjoyed.

I really don’t think Avengers fans hate the X-men. As someone pointed out, there’s always been conflicts between Marvel heroes but social media and the internet seem to have exacerbated these issues. Not to mention that some people take this stuff way to seriously and literally that they work themselves into a “shoot” (a wrestling term). Most of the animus has come from the X-side of things and some X-fans are really, really, really toxic (the boards are a lot better now to be honest).

I did the AvX breakdowns over 10 years ago on CBR and I was surprised at how much some X-fans “immerse” themselves in these comics. It was bizarre and quite scary at some point. I mean, even today, some X-fans still attack ALL other non-mutant characters for whatever reason, it’s very strange stuff.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    It's really more of a Marvel thing as opposed to an Avengers thing. It comes across like X-fans are given the ok to trash the Avengers fandom because of a corporate decision. Not saying that X fans shouldn't feel a certain way towards Marvel I'm just saying it's not the Avengers fault so the negativity is being directed in the wrong direction imo
    I made this same point some years ago. Denigrating existing characters because of a Marvel decision is flat out bizarre.

Right now, T’Challa is literally being erased from media and with Boseman’s death he’s not going to be in the movies anymore apparently. But BPs fans anger is directed squarely at Marvel and the creatives and NOT other characters.

X-fans should have concentrated their anger at Marvel and co instead of the constant Avengers trolling. It’s utterly misplaced.

Extraordinary Member

On a sad note, Tom Palmer, the inker most associated with The Avengers, has died.

He brilliantly inked John Buscema and Neal Adams on the title in the early 1970s, then he came back when John Buscema came back with Avengers #255, and then he stayed on the book as their regular inker (and sometimes colorist) right up until the cancellation of the first volume with issue #402. His style is unmistakable no matter who was doing the pencil breakdowns, so through the other pencillers -- Paul Ryan, then Steve Epting, then Mike Deodato -- it had the look of the Stern/Buscema run.

RIP Tom Palmer.

1. I like the X-Men, up until the recent years. I feel like they have betrayed what made them special. They're a bunch of supremacists hiding on an island (or maybe a planet now? I stopped reading after X of Swords). They're a cult. A lot of the classic characters have changed for the worse, IMO.

2. I am so tired of versus events. I don't like what they've done to the Eternals, so by association I don't care for this event. Haven't read it, and don't plan to.
    Wanna make somethin' of it?

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

1. Love the X-men and I find it wierd that people would hate another group of heroes or characters, because they're fictional and to had hate is kinda sad.

2. It's wierd because the main writer is not involved AT ALL. I mean Aaron has been writing the title for years and the fact he isn't even writing a single issue that ties in is very telling. But other than the meta BS, I think it's cool even though I am personally not reading it.