Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

clint-valentines-cover.jpg

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

Time for some Valentine's themed discussion!

Who is your favourite love interest or romance for Clint?

If Clint were to start a relationship with someone new, who would you want to see him get involved with (or have a fling or hook-up with)?

What about bro-mances? If Cupid were to screw up and match Clint with a guy, what Marvel man would you 'ship him with?

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post

If Clint were to start a relationship with someone new, who would you want to see him get involved with (or have a fling or hook-up with)?

What about bro-mances? If Cupid were to screw up and match Clint with a guy, what Marvel man would you 'ship him with?
    As far as canon romances go, Clint and Bobbi will always be number one for me (surprising no one).

Although I wouldn't mind seeing some more alternate universes where he and She-Hulk became a thing. I do like their chemistry.

I like Clint and Bucky, although I doubt we'll see it in canon (maybe in an AU, one day? who knows?).

And Clint and Two-Gun Kid are basically unconfirmed canon. I mean, when Clint died thousands of years in the past, Two-Gun had the same gut feeling of dread that Mockingbird did...

Well that's a way to get a shipping conflict going but I'll play along as long as the waves are still calm so to speak ;D

Let's get the big three out of the way first.

-) I really enjoyed the time with Jessica Drew. There was one issue in Avengers assemble I believe where it was just them having a relationship argument while a warehouse full of gangsters shot at them with hurt pride over the fact that they weren't important enough to be their primary concern. It was one of the funniest issues I've ever read.

That being said: That was a relationship that was never meant to last and while I may not necessarily like how and how quickly Fraction ended it I don't think anyone expected it to go on for much longer.

-) Bobby: Probably my most unpopular opinion among Hawkeye fans.
    I mentioned that before but I really don't care about the whole Hawkingbird deal. I don't hate them together, in fact I really enjoyed their New Avengers Reunion/Hawkeye & Mockingbird / Widowmaker Trilogy but I like those because they were good stories not because I am invested in that relationship and if it never gets picked up again by any writer I won't lose a minute of sleep over it.
    Tbh their earliest meetings and immediate marriage were just so cheesy I probably never quite got over it.

-) Natasha: I always enjoy them as a duo romantic or otherwise and since I'm not huge into any other relationships of either of the two I think that counts as a vote? Right? Right.
    Anyway despite not being his ex-wife it's the one my brain jumps to when it comes to the question of the "default" love interest.

- - - -

-) Another Lady?: I think it would be interesting to see him with someone outside of his usual spy lady Type.
    That could be a normal civilian or a heroine who plays in a whole nother ballpark. For example: I think it would be extremely refreshing if he got caught up in some cosmic stuff.
    Example Pitch: Falling through a portal, finding himself on the other end of the galaxy, rescuing some aliens from an evil overlord instead of punching aim or shield goons, etc.
    You could easily establish fun dynamics with fellow rebels or vintage style damsels in distress in such a scenario

Yes this is more about me wanting him to do something new but it could easily come with a new romance is what I'm saying.

-) another Guy?: Honestly I'd be okay with that. Clint is someone with whom you could easily write a story about a guy realizing late in life that he is bisexual (and not just because he basically used to wear the flag as a uniform )
    I yet again have no one specific in mind (sorry Bucky) but everything I said in the section above applies here and honestly if it comes with a development towards a low-key Oberyn Martell-esque swagger that's another step further away from Hawkguy and that's not a bad thing.
    Actually this might be my most controversial opinion afterall
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Bobbi all the way .

1) I'm sure I don't need to say at this point that Natasha is my favourite romance for Clint. There's just something about them that has me in a chokehold. I love their history, their dynamic, and I think they balance each other well. Also between Freefall and Black Widow, I think they're in a place where they could work; I would love to see a writer actually give them an honest try where neither of them ends up dead lol

2) I can't think of anyone specific since I'm basically Clintasha or bust, but I like Matt's idea of throwing Clint into something completely different. Maybe he'd meet like an alien or an Asgardian or something.

3) Again, see point two. I can really only say that my super unpopular opinion is just NOT Bucky. I simply don't like Bucky, so I wouldn't want my favourite boy with him.

I'm a little over Clintasha at this point. Not that I can't appreciate it in isolated cases, or the history they have with each other, but it feels like Clint gets reduced to a puppy dog that Natasha strings along too much and isn't someone she lets in like she lets in others. I feel like Clint deserves better.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by OOTCS View Post
    As far as canon romances go, Clint and Bobbi will always be number one for me (surprising no one).
    Same. Those two are one of my favourite comic couples of all time, and I love them both--separately or together.

Although I wouldn't mind seeing some more alternate universes where he and She-Hulk became a thing. I do like their chemistry.
    Absolutely. Hawkeye and She-Hulk are one of those pairs where you almost assume they have already gotten together at some point because that chemistry has been so strong and they've had such memorable interactions (and have kissed so many times).

I like Clint and Bucky, although I doubt we'll see it in canon (maybe in an AU, one day? who knows?).
    Like several of the other posters here, I have to say I fall into the 'no' camp when it comes to Clint/Bucky. They do have a certain dynamic between them, which started with Jim McCann's writing of them in THE REUNION and the HAWK&MOCK book, and was obviously further developed by Rosenberg--but they just don't really click for me as an item.

And Clint and Two-Gun Kid are basically unconfirmed canon. I mean, when Clint died thousands of years in the past, Two-Gun had the same gut feeling of dread that Mockingbird did...
    Oh, good call. Yeah, Clint and Matt adventures together could have a certain Brokeback quality to them...

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    Let's get the big three out of the way first.

-) I really enjoyed the time with Jessica Drew. There was one issue in Avengers assemble I believe where it was just them having a relationship argument while a warehouse full of gangsters shot at them with hurt pride over the fact that they weren't important enough to be their primary concern. It was one of the funniest issues I've ever read.

That being said: That was a relationship that was never meant to last and while I may not necessarily like how and how quickly Fraction ended it I don't think anyone expected it to go on for much longer.
    Its interesting that you count Jessica Drew as one of the "big three" of Clint's love life. I guess I can understand why, since she was paired with Bobbi and Tasha in a recurring role as Clint's trio of superhero exes in the Fraction run, but personally I would count Moonstone as a much more significant figure in Clint's romantic history than Spider-Woman. I think Clint and Karla were more deeply involved and mattered more to each other than Clint and Jessica did.

I do agree with you that how Fraction ended the Clint/Jessica relationship wasn't ideal. I was very surprised to see Clint cheat on a girlfriend; that felt very out of character for him. When you look at Clint's relationship history, he tends to fall too hard, too fast. He is usually the one who is getting hurt by his girlfriend betraying him, or not being as into him as he is into her.

-) Natasha: I always enjoy them as a duo romantic or otherwise and since I'm not huge into any other relationships of either of the two I think that counts as a vote? Right? Right.
    Anyway despite not being his ex-wife it's the one my brain jumps to when it comes to the question of the "default" love interest.
    I love them as friends, and I think they will always have a special bond -- but the idea of them ever getting together again just feels extremely wrong to me. Both of them have grown and changed so much since they were together--and both of them have moved on to other (I'd say better) relationships since then. Tasha's relationships with Daredevil and Winter Soldier have both become as iconic as her relationship with Clint, and honestly I think either one is a better match for her (with Bucky being my preference of the two by far). The Clint/Tasha relationship was an important part of Tasha's character development, in inspiring her to defect to the west...but romantically speaking I think they belong in the past.

-) Another Lady?: I think it would be interesting to see him with someone outside of his usual spy lady Type.
    That could be a normal civilian or a heroine who plays in a whole nother ballpark. For example: I think it would be extremely refreshing if he got caught up in some cosmic stuff.
    Example Pitch: Falling through a portal, finding himself on the other end of the galaxy, rescuing some aliens from an evil overlord instead of punching aim or shield goons, etc.
    You could easily establish fun dynamics with fellow rebels or vintage style damsels in distress in such a scenario
    It is something of an odd coincidence that so many of his exes have come from espionage backgrounds. Spider-Woman at least looks like a more 'normal' superhero at first glance--but yeah, she's got history as an agent of both Hydra and SHIELD. Its not his only type though--he pursued Scarlet Witch and Spider-Woman II (Julia Carpenter) as well, and neither of them were spies. Its just that neither one returned his interest either. lol

I could see Clint with a civilian (its happened before, after all)--but I think it would probably still need to be a civilian who was at least tangentially connected to his adventuring life, like Night Nurse was. I wouldn't have minded seeing something further develop between him and reporter Gayle Rogers back in the day...but unfortunately she's dead now, so that window of opportunity has closed.

It certainly wouldn't be a lasting romance--but I would like to see the story behind whatever happened between Clint and the White Rabbit! In an issue of Nick Spencer's AMAZING SPIDER-MAN run, White Rabbit made reference to some fling she had with Hawkeye. Assuming she didn't just make the whole thing up, I'd love to see that untold tale!

-) another Guy?: Honestly I'd be okay with that. Clint is someone with whom you could easily write a story about a guy realizing late in life that he is bisexual (and not just because he basically used to wear the flag as a uniform )
    I doubt Marvel would ever actually make Clint bi, but I do see what you mean.

A male option that might work for your earlier suggestion of a cosmic adventure would be Paradox -- a bisexual, shape-shifting dancer/secret agent from an alternate future. He appeared in a few black-and-white stories in BIZARRE ADVENTURES magazine back in the day, and more recently ended up in present-day 616 in a WOLVERINE story years ago. He's presumably still out there somewhere in Marvel cosmic just waiting for someone to bring him back into a story.

For what it's worth, I enjoyed the relationship/friendship between Jan & Clint (XD)

LOL! Always thought Crys+Clint had potential...

Favorite bro-mance? Without a doubt, Clint & Ben Grimm had chemistry during Secret Wars '84 (LOL):

Last edited by K7P5V; 02-15-2022 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Like several of the other posters here, I have to say I fall into the 'no' camp when it comes to Clint/Bucky. They do have a certain dynamic between them, which started with Jim McCann's writing of them in THE REUNION and the HAWK&MOCK book, and was obviously further developed by Rosenberg--but they just don't really click for me as an item.
    Someone on twitter has put it beautifully in the past when she said: "Oh they'd f*CK, but no way they cuddle afterwards." and honestly that reflects my own opinion pretty well haha.

Its interesting that you count Jessica Drew as one of the "big three" of Clint's love life. I guess I can understand why, since she was paired with Bobbi and Tasha in a recurring role as Clint's trio of superhero exes in the Fraction run, but personally I would count Moonstone as a much more significant figure in Clint's romantic history than Spider-Woman. I think Clint and Karla were more deeply involved and mattered more to each other than Clint and Jessica did.
    That is fair and you are probably right. Thing is: I just never read the entirety of Thunderbolts nor did I read whatever Avengers run had the whole thing with Janet going on.
    The entire Bendis New Avengers/Assemble deal however was a pretty big part of why I stayed a comic fan after my "just checking a few issues out" phase and both Jess and Clint were integral to it even if Jess wasn't actually Jess for half of it.

I do agree with you that how Fraction ended the Clint/Jessica relationship wasn't ideal. I was very surprised to see Clint cheat on a girlfriend; that felt very out of character for him. When you look at Clint's relationship history, he tends to fall too hard, too fast. He is usually the one who is getting hurt by his girlfriend betraying him, or not being as into him as he is into her.
    Yea it was part of the reinvention of Clint that didn't necessarily work so well but I can see why he did it.

I love them as friends, and I think they will always have a special bond -- but the idea of them ever getting together again just feels extremely wrong to me. Both of them have grown and changed so much since they were together--and both of them have moved on to other (I'd say better) relationships since then. Tasha's relationships with Daredevil and Winter Soldier have both become as iconic as her relationship with Clint, and honestly I think either one is a better match for her (with Bucky being my preference of the two by far). The Clint/Tasha relationship was an important part of Tasha's character development, in inspiring her to defect to the west...but romantically speaking I think they belong in the past.
    As I said I don't actually like Nat's other big relationships with the DD one being just something I'm indifferent to while I lean towards outright disliking the Bucks one but that's a matter for Nat's thread (in which I'd be eaten alive for it in my experience).
    I do feel like the semi-hidden romance between Clint and Nat in the square enix avengers game is a pretty good example of how to write them as an item nowadays.
    Kinda like what could have been in Secret empire if secret empire wasn't going on at the same time haha.

It is something of an odd coincidence that so many of his exes have come from espionage backgrounds. Spider-Woman at least looks like a more 'normal' superhero at first glance--but yeah, she's got history as an agent of both Hydra and SHIELD. Its not his only type though--he pursued Scarlet Witch and Spider-Woman II (Julia Carpenter) as well, and neither of them were spies. Its just that neither one returned his interest either. lol
    I do feel like that was part of the reason the whole thing with Jess became a thing in the first place: Making it a trend so people can joke about it.
    I can't say too much about Witchy and even less about Carpenter since these are largely stories I have not read either.

I could see Clint with a civilian (its happened before, after all)--but I think it would probably still need to be a civilian who was at least tangentially connected to his adventuring life, like Night Nurse was. I wouldn't have minded seeing something further develop between him and reporter Gayle Rogers back in the day...but unfortunately she's dead now, so that window of opportunity has closed.

It certainly wouldn't be a lasting romance--but I would like to see the story behind whatever happened between Clint and the White Rabbit! In an issue of Nick Spencer's AMAZING SPIDER-MAN run, White Rabbit made reference to some fling she had with Hawkeye. Assuming she didn't just make the whole thing up, I'd love to see that untold tale!
    Oh yeah there should be a connection like that. Not someone random who hasn't ever dealt with mask biz before so she can be a character with her own ambitions and reasons to be around outside of Clint's butt.

I doubt Marvel would ever actually make Clint bi, but I do see what you mean.

A male option that might work for your earlier suggestion of a cosmic adventure would be Paradox -- a bisexual, shape-shifting dancer/secret agent from an alternate future. He appeared in a few black-and-white stories in BIZARRE ADVENTURES magazine back in the day, and more recently ended up in present-day 616 in a WOLVERINE story years ago. He's presumably still out there somewhere in Marvel cosmic just waiting for someone to bring him back into a story.
    Well once I'm elected president of earth every character will be bi, pan or otherwise queer just to piss off the right people.

On a more serious note: I don't think there's any plans nor do I think it ever was the intention but society is changing (when I was younger it was normal to use gay as a slure) and if Marvel was to consider having another person coming out as bi to generate some buzz it would most likely be a woman (like half the X-women feel like they are unofficially there already sometimes) but if they were to go for a guy I'd say Clint is in that sweet spot where he's popular enough to be known by everyone but not big enough a deal to come with a serious prolonged shitstorm.
    I guess it's a very cynical way to look at things but you Linda have to do that when you are talking about corporations.
    I'm like 85% sure it won't happen anytime soon but those odds are a lot better than they would have been a decade ago and who knows how things will have changed in yet another decade?

tl;d: You are probably right. Keyword: Probably.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

My Twitter

Spectacular Member Ruby Quartz Diamond's Avatar

Natasha and Bobbi. I only like his romance with Natasha when it doesn't reduce him to being strung along by her web of deceit. Worse when he remains in the dark on her motivations all the way. With Bobbi, it was more consistent and mutual. And their first meeting in the comics was really sweet. Even after deafened Clint tried to reject her advances (because he thought Bobbi wouldn't want to be with him since he was deaf), Bobbi still chased after him to demand for an explanation. But, the Clint and Bobbi romance seems to be a thing of a past and is hugely forgotten now.

Perhaps a female villain with similar skill-sets like him like Lady Bullseye and Viper. But, I highly doubt Clint would want to flirt with villains, let alone pursue a relationship with them.

I've always shipped Clint with Bucky and Coulson. I wish there's another Clint and Bucky team-up comic and more ClintCoulson moments. I also like Clint's bromance with Deadpool and Daredevil.

Well he used to be with sometimes Villain Moonstone and he very definitely said he'd probably sleep with Viper at one point so I would be careful with the no-Villain rule haha.

My Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby Quartz Diamond View Post
    Natasha and Bobbi. I only like his romance with Natasha when it doesn't reduce him to being strung along by her web of deceit. Worse when he remains in the dark on her motivations all the way. With Bobbi, it was more consistent and mutual. And their first meeting in the comics was really sweet. Even after deafened Clint tried to reject her advances (because he thought Bobbi wouldn't want to be with him since he was deaf), Bobbi still chased after him to demand for an explanation. But, the Clint and Bobbi romance seems to be a thing of a past and is hugely forgotten now.
    My thought exactly.

Which is pretty ironic when they play up the relationship and history with Natasha more than they do the woman Clint actually married.

Astonishing Member

I wouldn't say forgotten. They aren't currently together, but that doesn't mean its forgotten. Clint and Bobbi's history came up the last time Clint had a solo book (FREEFALL), after all. Its just that neither one of them are appearing regularly anywhere at the moment, so there isn't a lot of opportunity or reason for it to come up. But that relationship is too big a part of both of their histories for it ever to get completely forgotten about.

Perhaps a female villain with similar skill-sets like him like Lady Bullseye and Viper. But, I highly doubt Clint would want to flirt with villains, let alone pursue a relationship with them.
    As Matternativ already pointed out, Clint mentioned Viper already as a villain he'd like to sleep with, so I wouldn't rule it out. Clint actually has quite a history when it comes to flirting (and more) with villains. His very serious romance with Moonstone is the obvious example, but lets not forget that the Black Widow was also a super-villain when their relationship started. He's allegedly had a fling with the White Rabbit, and he's kissed Deathbird.

He's also kissed Madame Masque and Satana--but those kisses were initiated by them, not by Clint. Likewise Clint has also had a few relationships with women who turned out to be criminals or villains, but he didn't realize it until after they were already involved.

I've always shipped Clint with Bucky and Coulson. I wish there's another Clint and Bucky team-up comic and more ClintCoulson moments. I also like Clint's bromance with Deadpool and Daredevil.
    Coulson is a good choice -- inspired more by the MCU version than the 616 one, but 616 Coulson was good prior to his death. I couldn't see Clint with the current version of Coulson....unless it was going to be another case of Clint seducing another villain into going straight (so to speak) with the power of his love, like he did with Tasha and Karla. :P

I too enjoy the dynamic between Clint and Wade....but I don't see them making the transition from friends to lovers.

I’d probably say Bobbi, but after a hiatus from comics missing the 80’s and 90’s, I had to backtrack a bit to get their history. I’m with many of you that he and Natasha seem more sibling like, with her as the older one. I too liked Jess. Scanned through some of his TBolts years but didn’t appreciate his pairing with Moonstone. I loved Matternative’s comment about being skewered for their opinion on BuckyNat! I’m probably guilty of that so I apologize, and believe me when I say I may be one of few here who relished Fraction’s Hawkeye, ouch, I say it with heartfelt thanks no one places me on the spit. I’d also add my favorite Bucky/Clint team up of sorts was during Brubaker’s Winter Soldier, neither one being portrayed as an idiot.
    “We’ve learned that quiet isn’t always peace and the norms and notions of what just is, isn’t always justice.”

Quote Originally Posted by tliscord View Post
    I’d probably say Bobbi, but after a hiatus from comics missing the 80’s and 90’s, I had to backtrack a bit to get their history. I’m with many of you that he and Natasha seem more sibling like, with her as the older one. I too liked Jess. Scanned through some of his TBolts years but didn’t appreciate his pairing with Moonstone. I loved Matternative’s comment about being skewered for their opinion on BuckyNat! I’m probably guilty of that so I apologize, and believe me when I say I may be one of few here who relished Fraction’s Hawkeye, ouch, I say it with heartfelt thanks no one places me on the spit. I’d also add my favorite Bucky/Clint team up of sorts was during Brubaker’s Winter Soldier, neither one being portrayed as an idiot.
    Heh, don't worry about it I meant it mostly in jest. I was just very aware that at this point that that particular thread
    in this particular forum leans strongly towards that bubble and thats just a thing that happens.

As for Bucky and Clint: I get why you say that with the Brubaker stuff but I also get why Tales of suspense and Freefall sparked bigger interest in the idea: They argued like an old married couple, lol.

My Twitter