Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    You get the feeling that Zub didn't read Clint's time with the outlaw team of Thunderbolts or just discarded it because it is not compatible with Matt Fritchman's Hawkeye take, and he still wants to tap into that.
    Really? I get the complete opposite feeling. It seems like Zub prefers the version of Clint that was on the original Thunderbolts, but he knows he can't just ignore the past ten years of canon, so he's trying to weave them together. Clint is literally dealing with two voices in his head that are very reminiscent of the two extremes of his character (the reckless optimist from classic Thunderbolts and the depressed, guilt-ridden version from Fraction and especially coming off of Freefall).

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by OOTCS View Post
    Really? I get the complete opposite feeling. It seems like Zub prefers the version of Clint that was on the original Thunderbolts, but he knows he can't just ignore the past ten years of canon, so he's trying to weave them together. Clint is literally dealing with two voices in his head that are very reminiscent of the two extremes of his character (the reckless optimist from classic Thunderbolts and the depressed, guilt-ridden version from Fraction and especially coming off of Freefall).
    Since when do comic writers ever care about canon?

Astonishing Member

I agree. I think Zub's Clint is trying to get back to his old self...but the consequences of FREEFALL have to be dealt with first. I am glad to see the FREEFALL fallout for Clint finally being addressed. We know he really blew up his reputation with most of the superhero community with his actions in that story, but none of Clint's appearances since then until now have really touched on the issue at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Since when do comic writers ever care about canon?
    Many comic writers care about canon. Some care more than others, of course, but most comic writers are also fans and they care about the canon and the history just like the fans do.

The "writers don't care about continuity anymore" attitude seems to be a holdover from the early and mid 00s when that was a bigger problem because there were more high-profile writers who tended to be lax about continuity. I don't think that has really been as much of an issue over the last ten years or so though, since there are plenty of writers working at Marvel at the moment who clearly do know and care about the canon and make deliberate efforts to work the continuity into their stories.

Yeah, while I'm not over the moon with the story nor think he really pulls it off that well I think it's pretty obvious that he refers to west coast and thunderbolts Clint and how he used to be then quite a lot.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

A pretty mean (but funny ) story about Clint in Alligator Loki #13 on Marvel Unlimited.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

My Twitter

Thunderbolts #5 is about as good as the first three issues which is to say really not that good.

I enjoyed All-Out Avengers #4 a whole lot more and spoilers:
    we even get Clint in a new version of a very (in)famous costume in that one.
    end of spoilers

My Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    Thunderbolts #5 is about as good as the first three issues which is to say really not that good.

I enjoyed All-Out Avengers #4 a whole lot more and spoilers:
    we even get Clint in a new version of a very (in)famous costume in that one.
    end of spoilers
    You're not wrong about the costume, but I like the character-driven stories more than the action ones. I probably would have enjoyed the All-Out Avengers issue more if I had actually been following along (I read the first issue on Marvel Unlimited before this one, but haven't read #2-3).

I loved the Thunderbolts finale, especially the way spoilers:
    it wrapped up the plotline with America's powers and how Clint was able to rally the troops and take charge. I thought what he said to Monica about acknowledging his flaws and learning from them (as opposed to getting bogged down by them) showed real character growth, and I hope Marvel uses this as a way to move Clint forward into a new era. And, of course, I loved the implication of the last page where he talks to Bobbi, although I would have preferred to see that conversation in person, instead of a phone call.
    end of spoilers

All-Out Avengers is kinda like tuning into a sitcom so far where it's more important to see characters just vibing each episode/issue than keeping up with the overarching plot which is only really teased so far.

I don't know what it's trying to set up given its random nature and that the solicits of the coming months don't exactly have some sort of huge event advertised so it's probably going to be more contained than the book implies but either way I've been having fun with every issue so far.

And I certainly take it over spoilers:
    an ending that implies a teams continued existence even though we know we'll see none of it in the next few months. Let alone a team that still doesn't feel like a team in the slightest.

I appreciate what it tried to do and I'm usually a sucker for that kinda stuff but none of it worked for me on any level.
    The last page would be fun and promising I guess if I wasn't biased against it at this stage.
    end of spoilers

My Twitter