Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Default Storm and Thor - What's the Difference???

Before I delve deeper into this topic I want to start off by saying this is NOT meant to be a versus thread (who would win in a fight) but meant to go into the discussion of explaining the differences in how their powers operate.

Now, after reading the recent one-shot Power of Light it got me thinking about both their powers how are they the same and how do they differ. What distinguishes these two?

The first time on panel I believe it was explained the differences between their two powers was in Uncanny X-Men issue 147:

This indicated a limitation in Ororo's ability which is she has to work within the confines of the existing weather. She cannot create weather from nothing whereas Thor's powers allow him via magic to create/dispel weather even if the setting doesn't allow for said weather effects (aka he can create hurricanes in space).

Hickman would much later reveal that Ororo is an omega level weather manipulator meaning in this power class there is no measurable upper limit to her ability. People including myself have asked does this make her as A MUTANT a better weather controller than Thor. The answer here is no as again their abilities at their core work differently. Storm manipulates energy patterns resulting in weather while Thor creates weather (no manipulating of energies).

Up to this point it would seem their powers in regards to how they function indicated though they both controlled weather they did so differently. However two recent marvel issues has modified essentially how storm powers work modifying the understanding of their two abilities.

In the curse of Man-Thing Thor sought out Ororo's help to disperse worldwide fir-spores:

And most recently Thor again sought Ororo's help to create a sustainable atmosphere and sun source:

In the last instance I dont believe this was Ororo's mutant powers at work but her goddess power as she mentioned before helping the Skrulls that she can't create weather from nothing. Nevertheless, this latest reveal seems to update what what distinguishes their power at least on the level of godhood. Thor can create great storms but life sustaining weather/environments are something Ororo's godhead allows her to do.

What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 12-31-2021 at 02:58 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Why are people so fixated on the goddess thing? Being a god in just like being an Eternal, an Inhuman or a Mutant in the MU... the character is a member of a race/species with innate powers...

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    Why are people so fixated on the goddess thing? Being a god in just like being an Eternal, an Inhuman or a Mutant in the MU... the character is a member of a race/species with innate powers...
    it's a part of the character ability why would we not fixate on something that represents the character of discussion? it would be like not focusing on the god thing relative to thor.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Only 1 is a Black Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Only 1 is a Black Woman.
    And only one is a God.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    And only one is a God.
    Both STORM I LOVE IT!!!

Extraordinary Member

Before this turns into a vs battle I'd just pitch in and say this seems like a good breakdown

I don't think Thor has the versatility, sustainability or the nuance Storm has, whereas she doesn't have his sheer power and physical stats.

Thor could actually control Solar radiation and transmute stuff in comics, and usually holds back massively(1/3rd of his full power against mortals at best of smth) because he's afraid to hurt them.Kinda like Spidey of all people lmao

I think you summed it up pretty good. IMO, the word "manipulator" is key. She manipulates while he creates. They're both powerful and are really only held back by themselves. Right now Ororo101's take that she's the scalpel and he's the sledge hammer is appropriate.
    Mirroring our sentiment on twitter I'd love to see them team up more often.

BANNED

This thread reminds me of the amusing fight Thor and storm had in COC II written by Claremont no less where he defeated her by stealing her breath away you know how. Thor even trash talked to her about sending her back to school when she said she had walked the halls of Asgard and counted herself equal to the aesir who call themselves gods. Very surprising given Claremont's preferential treatment for her or maybe he just wrote the main plot and wasn't included/consulted for the fan voted fights which was maybe handled by his co writer. It would certainly explain why Storm was depicted as being completely overmatched there.

That Thor is a real God, and that they use him the most with, is the powers of him class 100 +++ and that it is very difficult to assassinate.

Storm is also a powerful mortal, but less than Thor, and she specializes in her power to manipulate the weather and that unlike Thor she is very easy to kill due to having a fragile body.

Both powerful but Thor is more so, and in a 10-fight vs 10 fight, Thor would win and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    Good question ... Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    And only one is a God.
    Yeah agreed With this one a real god son Of gods , The other a fake/ Lite god human mortal lol.

Buy one get one free at the haterade bar I see...

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
    Ugh, agreed. Those Rogue fans always jelly of Stormy.

I love both Storm and Thor. They both are powerful in their own ways. I don’t see one powerful than the other. They make a great duo.
    Favorite Characters: Wolfsbane, Storm, Psylcoke, Beast, Feral, Tempo, Nightcrawler, Quicksilver

Favorite Titles: X-Men Red, Legion of X, Marauders, Hellions

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
    If my favorite character was a non factor I'd be hating too...