Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default What DC Characters Would Be Worthy Enough To Lift Thor’s Hammer?

What DC character’s do you think would be worthy enough to wield Thor’s hammer?

Here’s my immediate guesses.

- Superman
    - Wonder Woman
    - Hal Jordan
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

As someone who isn't a Marvel aficionado on Thor. What are the characteristics or rules that one must possess to wield the hammer?

Will power? Honesty? Good Willed? Is having Batman's darkside a disqualifier?

Wonder Woman lifted it during Marvel vs. DC

Superman lifted it temporarily in JLA/Avengers, but couldn't do it again. I don't recall the explanation why.
    Last edited by Guy_McNichts; 01-01-2022 at 01:36 PM.

Astonishing Member

Mr. Mxyzptlk could pick it up. And even if he couldn't, he could just achieve the same result by lowering the universe around it.

Superman
    Wonder Woman, pre-neck snap. ...(is that even canon anymore?)

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Superman

Wonder Woman (Diana)

Black Canary
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Superman
    Wonder Woman, pre-neck snap. ...(is that even canon anymore?)
    It was alluded to in Mariko Tamaki's run (iirc).
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Wonder Woman

The Classic Superman could. My ideal Superman could, but the one DC's been pushing lately I'm not so sure.

Captain Marvel could (the classic version not the Shazam version)

John Henry Irons

maybe Dick Grayson

Bruce Timm's Batman probably could (not that it would make sense)
    The J-man

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post

Superman lifted it temporarily in JLA/Avengers, but couldn't do it again. I don't recall the explanation why.
    I think Thor allowed him to. Or so he claimed.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    As someone who isn't a Marvel aficionado on Thor. What are the characteristics or rules that one must possess to wield the hammer?

Will power? Honesty? Good Willed? Is having Batman's darkside a disqualifier?
    To lift mighty Moljnir, one must simply be worthy of it. A much more difficult feat to achieve than having great willpower or honesty.

And this is worthiness as defined by a combination of Odin's views on the concept, the hammer's innate will, and the template Odin used for the enchantment based upon Thor.

Y'all know I adore Superman. He is my favorite thing in the world outside of my family; the greatest idea humanity has ever had. But I don't think he's worthy to lift Moljnir; a viking's ideal of worthiness likely involves being willing to use lethal force when duty and necessity demand it, and while Clark has proven, over and over again across continuities, that he will take a life, it's something he struggles with too greatly, I feel, to fit this particular definition of the word worthy.

Off the top of my head, the only character in DC who could/should be able to lift the hammer is Diana. Maybe, possibly, Arthur, when he's at his best.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Wonder Woman
    SHAZAM
    Aquaman
    Hawkman
    Nightwing
    Batwoman

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    Man I could swear Diana lifted it in JLA/Avengers too, I remember something like, she didn't transform or anything after picking it up, she just picked it up and gave to Thor and he was baffled...

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    To lift mighty Moljnir, one must simply be worthy of it. A much more difficult feat to achieve than having great willpower or honesty.

And this is worthiness as defined by a combination of Odin's views on the concept, the hammer's innate will, and the template Odin used for the enchantment based upon Thor.

Y'all know I adore Superman. He is my favorite thing in the world outside of my family; the greatest idea humanity has ever had. But I don't think he's worthy to lift Moljnir; a viking's ideal of worthiness likely involves being willing to use lethal force when duty and necessity demand it, and while Clark has proven, over and over again across continuities, that he will take a life, it's something he struggles with too greatly, I feel, to fit this particular definition of the word worthy.

Off the top of my head, the only character in DC who could/should be able to lift the hammer is Diana. Maybe, possibly, Arthur, when he's at his best.
    I mean, the worthiness hardly follows the way vikings act, it's about the modern concept of being a hero.

Supes generally should be able to lift it if the writing isn't being weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

The only one who should be able to without question would be Captain Marvel, sorry Shazam.
    Supes would be the other obvious candidate.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

Interesting insight, if Superman is ruled out as a result of using lethal force I think that would probably disqualify Captain Marvel (Shazam) as well.

Hal Jordan has however been shown to be capable of using lethal force, as well as having immense willpower.

The question is, would Oden allow a mere mortal like Hal to wield the hammer, or does one have to have at least have some sort of demigod status such as Wonder Woman and Aquaman?

^ ^ ^

All of this further strengthens my endorsement of Ms. Dinah Lance...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009