Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

DC's version of Thor.

John Stewart
    Wonder Woman
    Jason Todd (unpopular opinion i know)
    Bronze Tiger
    possibly Aquaman

off top of my head
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-01-2022 at 07:21 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    Interesting insight, if Superman is ruled out as a result of using lethal force I think that would probably disqualify Captain Marvel (Shazam) as well.

Hal Jordan has however been shown to be capable of using lethal force, as well as having immense willpower.

The question is, would Oden allow a mere mortal like Hal to wield the hammer, or does one have to have at least have some sort of demigod status such as Wonder Woman and Aquaman?
    Beta Ray Bill has lifted it, and he's not a god at all, Jane is also only human and lifted it (Although the circumstances of her lifting made it so Thor and Odin himself can't lift it, 'cause Jason Aaron doesn't care about established stuff).
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Ambush Bug.

Extraordinary Member

It's worth noting that Captain America can't lift it under normal circumstances. He can only do so when he's in the heat of battle and his blood is up.

It's not just a willingness to kill, or else Hulk would be able to lift it. You have to posses the qualities of a noble warrior. The warrior part alone won't work.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    John Stewart
    Wonder Woman
    Jason Todd (unpopular opinion i know)
    Bronze Tiger
    possibly Aquaman

off top of my head
    That's a pretty good list. I'd also add Starfire, Big Barada, and Steel to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Beta Ray Bill has lifted it, and he's not a god at all, Jane is also only human and lifted it (Although the circumstances of her lifting made it so Thor and Odin himself can't lift it, 'cause Jason Aaron doesn't care about established stuff).
    In that case I think Green Lantern Hal Jordan would be the perfect candidate. Odin would love the fact that he is fearless, but yet noble.

Interesting insight, if Superman is ruled out as a result of using lethal force I think that would probably disqualify Captain Marvel (Shazam) as well.

Hal Jordan has however been shown to be capable of using lethal force, as well as having immense willpower.

The question is, would Oden allow a mere mortal like Hal to wield the hammer, or does one have to have at least have some sort of demigod status such as Wonder Woman and Aquaman?
    Plain mortals have lifted it plenty of times, like Erik Masterson.

The exact definition of its worthiness has never been spelled out (probably for a good reason- leaves plenty of future plot potential), but it can be assumed it has to do with humility (the reason Thor couldn't lift it originally), chivalry, fearlessness and a willingness to use lethal force, all of which modern Thors have displayed.

With that in mind, I think it rules out Superman and other Superman-like figures, like Captain Marvel. Honestly would probably rule out Batman as well- his ironclad refusal to use lethal force would probably be viewed by Odin as not just a flaw but an outright danger in the wrong circumstances. Most GLs, WW and Aquaman all display the qualities that Thors have displayed so its likely they'd be able to lift it. Whether or not it'd be something they could stand for long term would be another thing, though.

I know people are throwing ou Batfamily and Green Lantern members, but they really wouldn't make the cut. Dick Grayson would be the one out of anyone for the Batfamily.

For the Lanterns it's tricky. They already pass a test to be chosen as Lantern's. However, it's a different criterion than lifting Mjolnir. If any can do it I'd think it would be Kyle or John Stewart. Not sure if they can. Not sure about the newer Lanterns either.
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Superman
    Wonder Woman, pre-neck snap. ...(is that even canon anymore?)
    I think that's pretty much it. I wouldn't put in the pre-neck snap caveat. That was to save the world. Do you think Thor's never killed anyone before?
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    To lift mighty Moljnir, one must simply be worthy of it. A much more difficult feat to achieve than having great willpower or honesty.

And this is worthiness as defined by a combination of Odin's views on the concept, the hammer's innate will, and the template Odin used for the enchantment based upon Thor.

Y'all know I adore Superman. He is my favorite thing in the world outside of my family; the greatest idea humanity has ever had. But I don't think he's worthy to lift Moljnir; a viking's ideal of worthiness likely involves being willing to use lethal force when duty and necessity demand it, and while Clark has proven, over and over again across continuities, that he will take a life, it's something he struggles with too greatly, I feel, to fit this particular definition of the word worthy.

Off the top of my head, the only character in DC who could/should be able to lift the hammer is Diana. Maybe, possibly, Arthur, when he's at his best.
    Fair analysis. The concept has to be culturally contexted.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    Plain mortals have lifted it plenty of times, like Erik Masterson.

The exact definition of its worthiness has never been spelled out (probably for a good reason- leaves plenty of future plot potential), but it can be assumed it has to do with humility (the reason Thor couldn't lift it originally), chivalry, fearlessness and a willingness to use lethal force, all of which modern Thors have displayed.

With that in mind, I think it rules out Superman and other Superman-like figures, like Captain Marvel. Honestly would probably rule out Batman as well- his ironclad refusal to use lethal force would probably be viewed by Odin as not just a flaw but an outright danger in the wrong circumstances. Most GLs, WW and Aquaman all display the qualities that Thors have displayed so its likely they'd be able to lift it. Whether or not it'd be something they could stand for long term would be another thing, though.
    Interesting. I like the moral relativism going on here when your looking through the eyes of Odin. (Aquaman & Wonder Woman for sure)

I have to say Hal was under the influence of a demonic entity when he used lethal force, and I do believe the GL's are forbidden to use it.....so I can't see him using it again, but Green Lantern's willpower, particularly Hal's fearlessness would please Odin.

Nevertheless, I have another candidate who would most likely use lethal force if he had no other option, and is extremely noble and fearless, the Thanagarian....

Hawkman!

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    To lift mighty Moljnir, one must simply be worthy of it. A much more difficult feat to achieve than having great willpower or honesty.

And this is worthiness as defined by a combination of Odin's views on the concept, the hammer's innate will, and the template Odin used for the enchantment based upon Thor.

Y'all know I adore Superman. He is my favorite thing in the world outside of my family; the greatest idea humanity has ever had. But I don't think he's worthy to lift Moljnir; a viking's ideal of worthiness likely involves being willing to use lethal force when duty and necessity demand it, and while Clark has proven, over and over again across continuities, that he will take a life, it's something he struggles with too greatly, I feel, to fit this particular definition of the word worthy.

Off the top of my head, the only character in DC who could/should be able to lift the hammer is Diana. Maybe, possibly, Arthur, when he's at his best.
    Going by Marvel comics worthiness doesn't appear to follow real world Viking culture.

Let's look at who has lifted the Hammer:

Roger "Red" Norvell
    Beta Ray Bill
    Captain America
    Eric Masterson
    Bor (Thor's grandfather)
    Buri (also known as Tiwaz, Thor's great-grandfather)
    Loki
    Jane Foster
    The Destroyer
    Squirrel Girl
    Black Panther (of Avengers 1,000,000 B.C.)
    Eddie Brock (with help from the enigma force).
    Wonder Woman
    Superman (briefly permitted to use the hammer in a time of urgency)
    Conan The Barbarian
    Ironman (Tony Stark)
    Doctor Doom
    Air-Walker
    Awesome Andy
    Silver Surfer
    Red Hulk
    Ultimate Magneto
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    I think that's pretty much it. I wouldn't put in the pre-neck snap caveat. That was to save the world. Do you think Thor's never killed anyone before?
    I don't think that Thor would execute someone outside the heat of battle because they were too dangerous to live - although I guess that was the reason Superman executed Zod back in the day. (was Thor in Galactic Storm? I know there was that "kill squad" of Avengers who went off to execute the Supreme Intelligence and I don't recall which side Thor landed on)

I have to say Hal was under the influence of a demonic entity when he used lethal force, and I do believe the GL's are forbidden to use it.....so I can't see him using it again, but Green Lantern's willpower, particularly Hal's fearlessness would please Odin.
    The Book of Oa was rewritten during the Sinestro Corps War to allow lethal force in extreme situations, and I believe Hal has exercised infrequently since then. Thanks for the compliment, btw!