Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Is the Thor from the Sandman Universe "worthy"? He's pretty much a lout. Still, it's Odin's call, right?
    Actually, IIRC, the idea of the "worthy" enchantment is a Marvel thing, not something from mythology. In the myths, Mjolnir is just super, super heavy and only the absolute strongest beings can lift it.

And honestly, in a lot of the myths, Thor *is* kind of a big violent lout so Gaiman wasn't terribly far off the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    As for Cap, I dunno why that's hard to accept, he was around punching people in the face and using his shield, he wasn't like the other soldiers, Bucky was even eventually retconned as being the one the military used to kill.
    Yeah that was Brubaker right? I think I remember that. As I recall though, Bucky was trained to do the shady stuff Steve couldn't be seen doing publicly. Killing enemy soldiers on the battlefield was one thing, but Captain America couldn't be seen blowing up a nazi factory that might have had civilians in it, and that's the kind of stuff Bucky was trained for. But maybe I'm remembering the details wrong, I haven't read the Winter Soldier arc in some time.

And I don't believe the whole "Steve didn't kill" thing because Steve was a soldier. Sure, he was the poster boy for the Good Fight and Allied righteousness, but it was still war and he was still a soldier. You sign up for the military, especially in war time, you pull the trigger. If you're not willing to do that, you become a cop or a fire fighter, you find some other way to help your country. But if you join the military and you're not willing to kill in battle, you're just a selfish liability who's gonna get your squad killed.

But like I said, I'm not super well versed in Steve's comic history. Not the details like this anyway. I didn't even care much for the character until Evans played him in the MCU. And MCU Steve has killed *lots* of people.

I mean, if we go by that "internal logic", then it basically says "Hulk didn't kill because of Banner's bullshit magic math skills and Punisher's bullets don't ricochet and kill innocents" lol.
    Magic math skills? Is this a Immortal Hulk thing? I gotta get around to reading that, I hear great things.

And it's easier to believe that Frank Castle has quality aim than it is to believe that someone would sign up to fight nazis but not be willing to kill them, or that a half-mindless monster of pure rage never toppled an occupied building.

Now, I will believe that Hulk hasn't killed nearly as many people as you'd think his rampages would. I'll buy that Hulk, even at his most mindless, is capable of picking targets with the smallest possible body count. But if all he does is tear down some buildings and scare some bystanders? Doesn't really support the whole "monster at large" thing. No, we're talking about a guy so dangerous a group of heroes got together to send him off planet. They won't do that to supervillains but they did it to him. Hulk, depending on the era you look at, is more feared than mass murdering supervillains. It doesn't track that he has that reputation without having a body count of any kind.

But this is all getting off topic.

The *real* question is; Is Lois Lane capable of lifting Mjolnir?
    Last edited by Ascended; 01-02-2022 at 08:26 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Yeah that was Brubaker right? I think I remember that. As I recall though, Bucky was trained to do the shady stuff Steve couldn't be seen doing publicly. Killing enemy soldiers on the battlefield was one thing, but Captain America couldn't be seen blowing up a nazi factory that might have had civilians in it, and that's the kind of stuff Bucky was trained for. But maybe I'm remembering the details wrong, I haven't read the Winter Soldier arc in some time.

And I don't believe the whole "Steve didn't kill" thing because Steve was a soldier. Sure, he was the poster boy for the Good Fight and Allied righteousness, but it was still war and he was still a soldier. You sign up for the military, especially in war time, you pull the trigger. If you're not willing to do that, you become a cop or a fire fighter, you find some other way to help your country. But if you join the military and you're not willing to kill in battle, you're just a selfish liability who's gonna get your squad killed.

But like I said, I'm not super well versed in Steve's comic history. Not the details like this anyway. I didn't even care much for the character until Evans played him in the MCU. And MCU Steve has killed *lots* of people.
    You do those things in real life, comic books aren't realistic to the point DC can say "Hitler had a magic spear to protect himself from super heroes", saying that a soldier went to war and didn't kill people is not that far fetched when he have super heroes fighting in a way that wrecks half the city and nobody gets injured.

As much as super hero stories can use more mature themes, at heart they're still stories for children and are generally better off when they try to be fun as opposed to being realistic, so silly logic like this is around.

Magic math skills? Is this a Immortal Hulk thing? I gotta get around to reading that, I hear great things.
    I think the first time that was mentioned was back in World War Hulk, and it was repeated a lot to retcon a previous story where Hulk fought with the Thing, and then for Planet Hulk to happen, it was pointed out that people died because of that battle, but then when WWH is happening, WWH goes back on that and says no one died.

It's still mentioned once in a while, and Immortal Hulk is just the most recent mention of it, so it's still canon too.

And it's easier to believe that Frank Castle has quality aim than it is to believe that someone would sign up to fight nazis but not be willing to kill them, or that a half-mindless monster of pure rage never toppled an occupied building.
    A lot of times, Frank picks a machine gun and shoots at random, occasionaly not even hitting anything, but somehow his aim is so good it never ricochets and kills innocents?

It is easier to believe that than "Hulk punched a building and no one died" sure, but you have to do a ridiculous amount of logic stretching either way.

Now, I will believe that Hulk hasn't killed nearly as many people as you'd think his rampages would. I'll buy that Hulk, even at his most mindless, is capable of picking targets with the smallest possible body count. But if all he does is tear down some buildings and scare some bystanders? Doesn't really support the whole "monster at large" thing. No, we're talking about a guy so dangerous a group of heroes got together to send him off planet. They won't do that to supervillains but they did it to him. Hulk, depending on the era you look at, is more feared than mass murdering supervillains. It doesn't track that he has that reputation without having a body count of any kind.
    The super-hero group who thought it was a good idea to shoot him into space was Illuminati, who are notorious for either being completely incompetent, or making situations worse, and it was pointed out many times it was a bad idea to shoot Hulk into space, which ended up being right, as shooting Hulk into space is just one of their many screw ups lol.

But let's ignore that detail, even before the retcon, the fight the Hulk caused that got Illuminati to send him to space only killed like 26 people (And that number itself is a retcon 'cause the fight wasn't seen as some tragedy when it happened in F4#535, we even have civillians making bets on who'd win the fight), so, Illuminati decides that Hulk is too dangerous because of a small rampage like that, but the actual far more dangerous villains than him, who intentionall go around trying to kill as many people as they can, they're put in relatively safe prisons? Even guys like Doctor Octopus who tried to nuke New York more than once?

I'd say that seeing Hulk as more dangerous than super-villains, including those who are basically "Hulk, but evil" is stretching logic a lot, 'cause even if his rampages casually killed people, he still would not be on the level of actual super-villains who have tried repeatedly to kill the planet, and then are put in relatively regular prisons instead of being shot into space, or even killed.

To make this even sillier, soon after Planet Hulk started, we had the incident that caused Civil War, the villain Nitro exploded, killed a bunch of people and heroes, that's one of the things that started Civil War, shouldn't a villain like that be shot into space? Or should you blame super-heroes for a villain's actions? If you chose the second one you're from Marvel .

Point is, comic book logic makes no sense lol.

But this is all getting off topic.

The *real* question is; Is Lois Lane capable of lifting Mjolnir?
    Depends how hard she wants to get a good story .
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 01-02-2022 at 09:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Thor Movie Writer Reveals DC Character Who Could Lift Mjolnir
    https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/th...-lift-mjolnir/

CBR: 10 DC Characters Who Would Never Be Worthy Of Lifting Thor’s Hammer
    https://www.cbr.com/dc-characters-wo...ammer-mjolnir/
    1. Reverse Flash
    2. Darkseid
    3. HARLEY QUINN
    4. Mr. Miracle
    5. Lobo
    6. Red Hood
    7. Bizarro
    8. Catwoman
    9. Doctor Manhattan
    10. Plastic Man
    Last edited by Jabare; 01-02-2022 at 09:27 PM.
    The J-man

I would say despite prior comics protesting too much about the specifics, I'd still just call Superman worthy, no questions asked, and Wonder Woman too. I think an arc centering around Orion's worthiness or not would be interesting, but might just retread ground Thor himself already walked.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I would say despite prior comics protesting too much about the specifics, I'd still just call Superman worthy, no questions asked, and Wonder Woman too. I think an arc centering around Orion's worthiness or not would be interesting,
    Whether or not Orion is worthy or not would be interesting, New Gods were supposed to be a "post-Ragnarok" setting after all...

but might just retread ground Thor himself already walked.
    Possibly, I remember hearing that when Cates was planning to make a Mjolnir related story, I saw Thor fans reacting with what's basically a collective groan lol.

Then again, they're probably sick of stories about whether or not Thor himself is worthy, someone else being worth would probably be fine, might be like when Beta Ray Bill got the hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Actually, Carter and Shayera very well might be worthy. I can totally see that. They possess a nobility and sense of duty born of long lifetimes, they can be merciful when it is deserved and merciless when it is not. I'd totally believe that they fit Odin's ideals of worthiness.
    Which would surely be instilled in their children.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    What DC character’s do you think would be worthy enough to wield Thor’s hammer?

Here’s my immediate guesses.

- Superman
    - Wonder Woman
    - Hal Jordan
    Add Icon and Hardware and change Hal to Guy Gardner and that would be my list.

Retired

What would Jack Kirby say?

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Possibly, I remember hearing that when Cates was planning to make a Mjolnir related story, I saw Thor fans reacting with what's basically a collective groan lol.

Then again, they're probably sick of stories about whether or not Thor himself is worthy, someone else being worth would probably be fine, might be like when Beta Ray Bill got the hammer.
    That was about it. I didn't hate JaneThor as much as a lot of fans did, though it certainly had problems that only grew with time. But it was still a fun story while it lasted. But the last thing I wanted after all the Unworthy stuff....was another story about Thor struggling with his hammer.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

1. Scott Free
    2. Jonathan and Martha Kent
    3. Dick Grayson
    4. Iris Allen
    5. J’onn J’onzz

I think we can rest assured that Super Soldier can lift it.

Astonishing Member

If Superman can't lift it, does that mean that Bizarro can?

It would mean that Bizarro not can't lift it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Here's the official list according to CBR:

CBR: 5 DC Heroes Who Could Lift Thor's Hammer (& 5 Who Don't Stand A Chance)
    https://www.cbr.com/dc-heroes-who-co...-thors-hammer/

They might want to revisit that Adam Strange ranking
    These lists that appear in CBR, sometimes are made by people who either don't read comics or are biased through their personal likes, some reasons are also pathetic, and I am not just referring to this particular list.

Dc heroes who are worthy to lift the hammer are

Superman without any doubts
    Wonder Woman (daughter of Zeus)
    Aquaman (descendant of Poseidon)
    Hawkman (an ancient prince)

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    If Superman can't lift it, does that mean that Bizarro can?
    Oh now that's a question that can give headaches lol.