Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

They need to drop the "New" and just go by "Warriors". That way they can leave the gathering of new heroes to the Champions.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Good call, they certainly aren't new any more after 33 years in real life and probably close to a decade in-universe. Besides, there was never an OLD Warriors, so the New was superfluous from the start!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    They need to drop the "New" and just go by "Warriors". That way they can leave the gathering of new heroes to the Champions.
    I think that's what they called themselves in the MC-2 universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Good call, they certainly aren't new any more after 33 years in real life and probably close to a decade in-universe. Besides, there was never an OLD Warriors, so the New was superfluous from the start!
    The origin of the name was that they were "new Warriors" on the war on crime. Sort of reenforcements for the "old Warriors", such as the Avengers, the X-Men (then), and the FF. It had nothing to do with their "youth" (although they were all young and new blood). The name "new Warriors may work with a line-up such as the 2014 Yost New Warriors, with a whole bunch os new, untested heroes, however, I agree that, when you factor in the originals (when Justice, Firestar, Rage and Speedball have all either been associated with the Avengers or even been members themselves, Nova lead an army composed of many races in a intergalactic war, Nita has ruled Atlantis in Namor's stead, and Thrash has trained his whole life for the mission. And Sil is by no means green, also), it's hard to see them as a new to the general equation.

Peace

Was or is their any New Warriors Posters.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    The origin of the name was that they were "new Warriors" on the war on crime. Sort of reenforcements for the "old Warriors", such as the Avengers, the X-Men (then), and the FF. It had nothing to do with their "youth" (although they were all young and new blood). The name "new Warriors may work with a line-up such as the 2014 Yost New Warriors, with a whole bunch os new, untested heroes, however, I agree that, when you factor in the originals (when Justice, Firestar, Rage and Speedball have all either been associated with the Avengers or even been members themselves, Nova lead an army composed of many races in a intergalactic war, Nita has ruled Atlantis in Namor's stead, and Thrash has trained his whole life for the mission. And Sil is by no means green, also), it's hard to see them as a new to the general equation.

Peace
    What most group fanfictions sites do, when starting a New Warriors series, is bring back two or three seniors, and have them mentor the rookies.

Marvel ought to do that (and not use those damn stupid characters from Civil War 3)

Extraordinary Member

Peace
    They weren't really all new characters...5 of them had been around for a while. Nova, Namorita, Marvel Boy, Firestar and Speedball were all previously created, unattached characters

Yeah marvel boy was around way back in the 80s avengers comic and was things sidekick for a bit and the gotg adult version was a avenger.

The others had been around a bit also--

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Yeah marvel boy was around way back in the 80s avengers comic and was things sidekick for a bit and the gotg adult version was a avenger.

The others had been around a bit also--
    Namorita: 1972
    Marvel Boy: 1975 (mainstream version, not GoTG member who was introduced in 1968)
    Nova: 1976
    Firestar: 1985
    Speedball: 1988

The team debuted in Thor in 1989 and issue 1 of their title in 1990....so some of them had a good 10-15 years or more of history. I think that was something that helped since they did not need to build all of these characters from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    They weren't really all new characters...5 of them had been around for a while. Nova, Namorita, Marvel Boy, Firestar and Speedball were all previously created, unattached characters
    I never said they were, but they were all sort of new players. Marvel Boy and Firestar had very few appearences. Nova, the most expirienced of them, had been out of the picture for a while. Speedbal had only been active for a short while in his own small town, and Namorita, though around for a while, hardly ever had acted as a super-hero. I'd say that, with the possible exception of Nova and, perhaps, Nita, they counted as new blood. I'm talking Marvel time, of course, not "real time", if you get what I'm saying.

Peace

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Namorita: 1972
    Marvel Boy: 1975 (mainstream version, not GoTG member who was introduced in 1968)
    Nova: 1976
    Firestar: 1985
    Speedball: 1988

The team debuted in Thor in 1989 and issue 1 of their title in 1990....so some of them had a good 10-15 years or more of history. I think that was something that helped since they did not need to build all of these characters from scratch.
    In that sense, I feel like the team design was capitalizing on the successful nature of the Wolfman/Perez Teen Titans, by using recognizable faces and not just a team full of new faces. Established characters like Nova, Firestar, etc. got to be the Dick Grayson's and Donna Troy's, while Night Thrasher, and later additions like Silhouette, got to take on the newer roles of Titans like Cyborg and Starfire.

Extraordinary Member

I never said they were, but they were all sort of new players. Marvel Boy and Firestar had very few appearences. Nova, the most expirienced of them, had been out of the picture for a while. Speedbal had only been active for a short while in his own small town, and Namorita, though around for a while, hardly ever had acted as a super-hero. I'd say that, with the possible exception of Nova and, perhaps, Nita, they counted as new blood. I'm talking Marvel time, of course, not "real time", if you get what I'm saying.

Peace
    I get what you were saying about them being new blood in that sense...but some of them had been around for quite a long time hanging out in limbo waiting for someone to care enough to use them. There are a lot of characters that fit that bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]
    The difference in the characterization of Nita between Namor and New Warriors always bugged me a bit. Byrne did try to explain it onve, but it really didn't convince me much.

Peace

Yeah in namor and ms marvel Namorita was a supergirl like happy hero and even gained a friendship with shanna. She was that way in the 80s spider-man cartoon also! (yes she was in the 80s spidey toon)

New warriors she acted more like starfire with a temper. Kind of miss the happy version.

She did get a scene in infinity gauntlet comic at least.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]