Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Nova, the most expirienced of them, had been out of the picture for a while.
    I know, right?! I remember it had to take Thrash tossing him off the roof to re-activate Richie's "lost" powers (LOL):

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    New warriors she acted more like starfire with a temper. Kind of miss the happy version.
    The Nicieza version of Nita was the epitome of a warrior (IMHO):
    Last edited by K7P5V; 04-03-2022 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    I know, right?! I remember it had to take Thrash tossing him off the roof to re-activate Richie's "lost" powers (LOL):
    Ah yes, the old days when Thrash was both regular Batman, and Batman before Batman, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    In that sense, I feel like the team design was capitalizing on the successful nature of the Wolfman/Perez Teen Titans, by using recognizable faces and not just a team full of new faces. Established characters like Nova, Firestar, etc. got to be the Dick Grayson's and Donna Troy's, while Night Thrasher, and later additions like Silhouette, got to take on the newer roles of Titans like Cyborg and Starfire.
    ^^^its a great formula that rarely bombs (JLA Detroit is an example of it not working). It’s no coincidence fans have shipped an eighties Titans/nineties Warriors crossover…:

I know, right?! I remember it had to take Thrash tossing him off the roof to re-activate Richie's "lost" powers (LOL)
    ^^^i liked how RR had become a gym rat since we last saw him. His way of feeling in control/strong after having been depowered. The scene where he quit the gym and told the other guys there that he didn’t need to work out anymore because he was a superhero now was pretty telling.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^i liked how RR had become a gym rat since we last saw him. His way of feeling in control/strong after having been depowered. The scene where he quit the gym and told the other guys there that he didn’t need to work out anymore because he was a superhero now was pretty telling.
    LOL! LOVE that scene!! Richie walks it out like a BOSS!!!

LOL! LOVE that scene!! Richie walks it out like a BOSS!!!
    ^^^YES!
    This is by far my favorite version of Rich. I know he’s moved on to (I guess) bigger and better things but I liked him as an earthbound hero w. Cosmic connections. Nothing wrong w. him going out there when needed but, i miss him being…human I guess is what I’m getting at?

Extraordinary Member

^^^YES!
    This is by far my favorite version of Rich. I know he’s moved on to (I guess) bigger and better things but I liked him as an earthbound hero w. Cosmic connections. Nothing wrong w. him going out there when needed but, i miss him being…human I guess is what I’m getting at?
    They really need a reboot for the Nova Corp that lasts...not just another group of losers waiting around to all get killed off again.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    They really need a reboot for the Nova Corp that lasts...not just another group of losers waiting around to all get killed off again.
    There’s that too, yeah.
    It’s strange that Marvel’s never built them up better.

Marvel’s Squadron Supreme/Sinister/Power are DC JLA expies and have been used regularly and (mostly) well for years. Yet somehow their Green Lantern expies (counting Quasar) haven’t gotten anywhere near that kind of attention or love.

Ultimate Member

There’s that too, yeah.
    It’s strange that Marvel’s never built them up better.

Marvel’s Squadron Supreme/Sinister/Power are DC JLA expies and have been used regularly and (mostly) well for years. Yet somehow their Green Lantern expies (counting Quasar) haven’t gotten anywhere near that kind of attention or love.
    Building up a million Quasars would dilute the one we have, and he'd always be seen as less than the GLs.

Nova Corp would work better as their powers are different. As others have said, it'd just be better to stop killin' them.

Yeah, and anyway, at least Nova doesn't have the same divided fanbase as Green Lantern - there's only two main human Novas, Richard Rider and Sam Alexander, but there's EIGHT human GLs, Alan Scott, Hal Jordan, John Stewart, Guy Gardner, Kyle Rayner, Simon Baz, Jessica Cruz, Sojourner "Jo" Mullein. Nine if you count Teen Lantern, Keli Quintela. Needless to say they can't focus on everyone (the current GL book stars John and Jo, with Simon and Keli as supporting characters). Marvel can (the only reason Sam's had more focus than Rich lately is because the solo book was canned and he had a team book - the last solo did star both Novas).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Building up a million Quasars would dilute the one we have, and he'd always be seen as less than the GLs.
    A million’s a bit high!

Similar characters/concepts are always going to be compared, I don’t think a writer should necessarily worry about that, do you? As opposed to telling good stories?

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    there's EIGHT human GLs, Alan Scott, Hal Jordan, John Stewart, Guy Gardner, Kyle Rayner, Simon Baz, Jessica Cruz, Sojourner "Jo" Mullein. Nine if you count Teen Lantern, Keli Quintela.
    That’s not a unique situation at either of the Companies though; the Bat and Spider families come to mind.

My problem w. the human GLs is actually the fact that they’ve seemingly cut themselves off from Earth. You only ever see them come to Earth to fight alongside the JLA, never to visit family or friends. They have no lives outside the Corps.

I don't care much for derivative characters. Even when I prefer a character that is the "successor" (as is the case of John Stewart, who, for me, is the perfect choice to be Earth's GL, as he was chosen for his will power, same as Hal, has a creative side as an architect, same as Kyle, the graphic artist, was a marine sniper, a later addition to the character's mythos, but a good and reasonable one, which makes him as tough as Guy), I'd rather they'd stick with the original creation. Unless you chose to get rid (not necessarily kill) all the others and put him as the sole incarnation of the hero.

Peace

The Nicieza version of Nita was the epitome of a warrior (IMHO):
    Well with Nita we have to remember that she's not just a clone of her mother. She was also created using the DNA of Atlantis' greatest warriors. She should be by definition one of Atlantis'greatest warriors because she was built to be such.

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    Well with Nita we have to remember that she's not just a clone of her mother. She was also created using the DNA of Atlantis' greatest warriors. She should be by definition one of Atlantis'greatest warriors because she was built to be such.
    So she’s the Atlantean Serpentor? I never knew that…

I've recently been reading the New Warriors Classic Omnibus vol 1, in preparation for the vol. 2, that'll come out in the middle of the year. It's intresting to see the differences between the New Warriors their supposed creators (Tom DeFalco e Ron Frenz) seemed to have imagined (from their participation in the Thor Acts of Vengeance two-parter), to what Fabian Nicieza and Mark Bagley developed in the actual book. To begin with, Thrash's bursts of incontrolable rage, that Fabe dilluted during the book's first year, untill they disappeared completely (Thrash was still angry, but he never lost control), and the fact that Firestar seemed to be the only one able to calm him, suggesting that Tom had intention of having them involved with each other, but Fabe soon hooked her up with Marvel Boy. DeFalco's Nova (or Kid Nova, as he introduced him, but Fabe also soon got rid of the "Kid" prefix) also seemed much more well-behaved and tame than the wilder and, oddly enough, more mature version that Fabe gave us. The Nita of the book also had an edgier characterization to her.
    30 years later, it's still a refreshingly good read.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I've recently been reading the New Warriors Classic Omnibus vol 1, in preparation for the vol. 2, that'll come out in the middle of the year. It's intresting to see the differences between the New Warriors their supposed creators (Tom DeFalco e Ron Frenz) seemed to have imagined (from their participation in the Thor Acts of Vengeance two-parter), to what Fabian Nicieza and Mark Bagley developed in the actual book. To begin with, Thrash's bursts of incontrolable rage, that Fabe dilluted during the book's first year, untill they disappeared completely (Thrash was still angry, but he never lost control), and the fact that Firestar seemed to be the only one able to calm him, suggesting that Tom had intention of having them involved with each other, but Fabe soon hooked her up with Marvel Boy. DeFalco's Nova (or Kid Nova, as he introduced him, but Fabe also soon got rid of the "Kid" prefix) also seemed much more well-behaved and tame than the wilder and, oddly enough, more mature version that Fabe gave us. The Nita of the book also had an edgier characterization to her.
    30 years later, it's still a refreshingly good read.

Peace
    I know, right?! Taking on super-heavyweights like Terrax & Juggernaut right out of the gate...?! Man, that definitely raises some street-cred (LOL):

Last edited by K7P5V; 04-10-2022 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.