Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Default Crime Syndicate Appreciation Thread 2022

Lets try this again. The Earth-3 version of our heroes where villainy reigns supreme. They've gone through a lot of different iterations throughout the year with the most recent version being allowed to get their own mini-series.

Do you have a favorite version of the CS(A)? Any other members you'd like to see join the main group?

Last edited by Primal Slayer; 01-01-2022 at 11:58 AM.

Happy New Year to the villainous Crime Syndicate .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Happy New Year to the villainous Crime Syndicate .
    Seconded! I love these bad guys and gal!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

HBO Max should really look into giving them their own movie or series.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Seconded!!

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Everything being done on The Boys with a plucky underground resistance group fighting an 'evil Justice League,' could have been done first by DC with a show set on Crime Syndicate Earth. Instead, someone else gets the money, and we get 'the Seven,' who are a Justice League expy in all but name, and DC makes, more Batman stuff, I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Everything being done on The Boys with a plucky underground resistance group fighting an 'evil Justice League,' could have been done first by DC with a show set on Crime Syndicate Earth. Instead, someone else gets the money, and we get 'the Seven,' who are a Justice League expy in all but name, and DC makes, more Batman stuff, I guess?
    I don't think anyone would have readily thought of doing something entirely based around the Crime Syndicate, since they're more often than not just antagonists, although DC does seem to be pushing them more now.

I think the most interesting idea of the Syndicate is when they're not tyrants, but mobsters and thrill-seekers. (Keep in mind their first appearance revolved around the idea that they were bored with the law never having a chance against them). But specifically the injustice league of Capone era Chicago has a lot of potential I think. I think the Syndicate is very underutilized and wasted, but part of why is that writers and fans alike focus on the (now now, largely played out) idea of tyrannical super-people, when the potential of the comparatively cheeky and less self-serious premise of Super Wise Guys remains largely untapped.

Ultraman-Crime-Syndicate-DC-Comics-Earth-3-old.jpg

"Youse mugs wanna mess with the best? Be my guest!"
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

To me they are the best when they are direct opposites of main heroes. So its not that Ultraman is "evil tyrant version of Superman", but that despite his powers he is pathetic loser.

I love the CSA, however, I love them as antagonists to the League or the Society. IN fact, Syndicate Rules, by Busiek and Garney, is one of my all-time favorite JLA arcs. Don't care much for them as main characters, though. As for new members, other than the original 5, I liked quite a lot Atomika (very scary, really), Deathstorm and Aqualord (? Don't recall if that was his name) aditions from Forever Evil. I'd also have a female martial artist (probably a lesbian, as to not challenge Super-Woman's Queen Bee status), say, White Raven, and perhaps a Saturnuan Manhunter.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I think the most interesting idea of the Syndicate is when they're not tyrants, but mobsters and thrill-seekers. (Keep in mind their first appearance revolved around the idea that they were bored with the law never having a chance against them). But specifically the injustice league of Capone era Chicago has a lot of potential I think. I think the Syndicate is very underutilized and wasted, but part of why is that writers and fans alike focus on the (now now, largely played out) idea of tyrannical super-people, when the potential of the comparatively cheeky and less self-serious premise of Super Wise Guys remains largely untapped.

Ultraman-Crime-Syndicate-DC-Comics-Earth-3-old.jpg

"Youse mugs wanna mess with the best? Be my guest!"
    I liked their original looks, personalities, powers and costumes (while Ultraman here is slightly updated from original). While they were "copies" of the JLA, they also had their own personal looks and takes on things. They were mighty powerful, used trickery and deceit and never expected the JLA to do the same to them, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    To me they are the best when they are direct opposites of main heroes. So its not that Ultraman is "evil tyrant version of Superman", but that despite his powers he is pathetic loser.
    David Mann made a point about this in his recent retrospective on Morrison's Superman career, saying something to the effect of "to Morrison, an evil, inverted Superman isn't a conqueror but a lackey, power shackled with no purpose or an inability to successfully pursue one." While I find that idea highly compelling in the abstract, and also when evil and failure shackle the more regretful stand-in Overman... but I still can't say I like Morrison's conception of Ultraman. He's not just brutish,he's also just kind of boring to me. They wrote him a a loser, and he is a loser, and that's... limiting. I think about Tony Soprano. Dude's a bit of a loser. He goes to a therapist, he's self-conscious about taking prozac, but he's still more fun to watch. Hard to imagine Morrison's Ultraman sustaining a long term series.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I liked their original looks, personalities, powers and costumes (while Ultraman here is slightly updated from original). While they were "copies" of the JLA, they also had their own personal looks and takes on things. They were mighty powerful, used trickery and deceit and never expected the JLA to do the same to them, lol!
    Yeah, I just didn't have a picture of the original Ultraman look off hand, haha! But I enjoyed the partial uniqueness of the Silver Age Syndicate too, and I think that an approach more like that original one might have had at least a little more legs, haha
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Yeah, I just didn't have a picture of the original Ultraman look off hand, haha! But I enjoyed the partial uniqueness of the Silver Age Syndicate too, and I think that an approach more like that original one might have had at least a little more legs, haha
    Oh, no problem! I just didn't want to state "original costume" to then have someone correct me on it, lol.

I would love a few new stories told now of the original CSA from back in the '60's, like "lost tales"! (with their original looks of course!)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I love the CSA, however, I love them as antagonists to the League or the Society. IN fact, Syndicate Rules, by Busiek and Garney, is one of my all-time favorite JLA arcs. Don't care much for them as main characters, though. As for new members, other than the original 5, I liked quite a lot Atomika (very scary, really), Deathstorm and Aqualord (? Don't recall if that was his name) aditions from Forever Evil. I'd also have a female martial artist (probably a lesbian, as to not challenge Super-Woman's Queen Bee status), say, White Raven, and perhaps a Saturnuan Manhunter.

Peace
    I think it was Sea King. Or was it Baracuda?