Quote Originally Posted by AlexLyo View Post
Does anyone have a personal headcanon or preference for why the Themyscirans never leave the island?

Is it because:

- they're forbidden to by the Gods / exiled there (but are capable of leaving should they choose)
- choose not to (for whatever reason)
- physically cannot leave due to some kind of magical barrier

I think the reason why they stay on the island says a lot about who they are as a culture, and also about the significance of Diana leaving (is it defiance of the Gods or just against Themysciran norm? Is it a sacrifice or a duty?) and also the significance of other Amazons choosing to leave after her.

I ask because it increasingly puzzles me why we wouldn't see more Themyscirans making trips off the island purely out of curiousity unless they were forbidden to by custom, Godly decree, or magic. And that links to the earlier question about whether or not they would lose their immortality if they left (which seems to be a plot point for the backups leading into Trial of the Amazons).

I might not be remembering correctly, but I think them being on the island at all is variably described as either a retreat or a punishment, with or without the duty to Doom's Doorway etc, depending on the writer. Interested to hear what personally works for each of you.
I know this is going back a ways but I like the take in Year One (I think?) where they forget where Themyscira is after they leave. It's not as final as some kind of magical barrier/exile and it doesn't require them to sacrifice their immortality but it still adds stakes to the choice.