Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Do you prefer:

A. Themiscryia gifting immortality and leaving the island turns you into a mortal

B. The Amazons being imbued with immortality even if they leave the island?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Seeing Areto and Castalia return in Nubia this week was quite a treat. They were basically forgotten about after Rucka left.

I wonder if the blonde with Areto was Kasia?
    It is wild to me how many named Amazons have made a reappearance in the past few months or so. Thank you Historia and Nubia for actually utilizing existing characters!

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Do you prefer:

A. Themiscryia gifting immortality and leaving the island turns you into a mortal

B. The Amazons being imbued with immortality even if they leave the island?
    B. Always B.

They only lose their powers if they betray the Amazons or the Goddesses.

Hey is that Amazon movie still in the works?

Spectacular Member

[QUOTE=Primal Slayer;5907943]Do you prefer:

B. The Amazons being imbued with immortality even if they leave the island?[/QU

The oath to protect Doom Doorway is the source of amazon immortality and by becoming ambassador to man's world,Diana relinqueshed this duty and the privilege

It wasn't always in fact that's a perez thing. By given up being in the Man's world is how they got their immortality. This however makes me wonder. Should Steve Trevor ever be given immortality?

Does anyone have a personal headcanon or preference for why the Themyscirans never leave the island?

Is it because:

- they're forbidden to by the Gods / exiled there (but are capable of leaving should they choose)
    - choose not to (for whatever reason)
    - physically cannot leave due to some kind of magical barrier

I think the reason why they stay on the island says a lot about who they are as a culture, and also about the significance of Diana leaving (is it defiance of the Gods or just against Themysciran norm? Is it a sacrifice or a duty?) and also the significance of other Amazons choosing to leave after her.

I ask because it increasingly puzzles me why we wouldn't see more Themyscirans making trips off the island purely out of curiousity unless they were forbidden to by custom, Godly decree, or magic. And that links to the earlier question about whether or not they would lose their immortality if they left (which seems to be a plot point for the backups leading into Trial of the Amazons).

I might not be remembering correctly, but I think them being on the island at all is variably described as either a retreat or a punishment, with or without the duty to Doom's Doorway etc, depending on the writer. Interested to hear what personally works for each of you.

I like to think they have the option to leave whenever they want but they choose to stay on the island because the island is like a sanctuary for them and most of them don't trust the outside world. Plus their duty is to guard Doom's Doorway and sometimes the best tactic is to not alert anyone of it's existence.

The more I been thinking about it. Should the amazons create a bracelets or something that will limited their powers? Like Superman's powers don't work

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    The more I been thinking about it. Should the amazons create a bracelets or something that will limited their powers? Like Superman's powers don't work
    hmm, good question
    Back in the golden age it was totally a thing, but back then half of the world building for Wonder Woman had symbolism attachments. In the case of the 'bracelet power limiters' i think it was something like 'power unchecked corrupts' and the need for discipline and self control?

Isn't that something the lasso can also be used for: for humility and as a remainder? Besides the obvious kinky stuff.

Post your favorite Amazon quotes:

From NTT #5:

"Vic, if there is anything the Amazons have taught me, it's that there is always hope."

NTT 005 001.jpg

"The Amazons say a true warrior crosses deaths door with a sword in her hand. I am ready."

NTT 005 002.jpg

From WW #25:

WW 25.jpg

"We have a saying, my people. "Don't kill if you can wound, don't wound if you can subdue, don't subdue if you can't pacify and don't raise your hand at all if you haven't first extended it."

It's kind of a long one, but imo no other passage compares. From WW Secret Files & Origins #2:

"Let all who read these words know: We are a nation of women, dedicated to our sisters, to our gods, and to the peace that is humankind’s right. Granted life by Gaea, the goddesses, and the souls of women past, we have been gifted with the mission to unite the people of our world with love and compassion.

"Man has corrupted many of the laws our gods set forth. So, in their wisdom, the goddesses did create a race of female warriors dedicated to the ideals of uniting all peope, all sexes, all races, all creeds. No longer will man rule alone, for now woman stands as an equal to temper his aggression with compassion, lend reason to his rages, and overcome hatred with love.

"We are the Amazons, and we have come to save mankind."

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar