Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I think its too soon to say, personally. Like she was fine in it but didn't have a ton to do. Most of her beats were spent establishing that she's mourning the loss of her daughter and Kate mentioning that there still might be a chance to save her or bring her back at least makes it clear Orlando's not intending to just forgot about that angle and its likely to be a focus of future stories - which was the big thing for me and what I most wanted the Annual to clarify. I'll be super annoyed if after Wanda's spell made it possible to bring back pretty much any mutant in history, somehow Kwannon's daughter ends up one of the only permanent casualties of the modern era, y'know? But I don't get the sense Orlando's intending to just forget her or brush that under the rug, so even if it takes awhile I think we will get to see her reunited with her daughter at last, and that's my big hope for her currently.

I know a lot of people thought she came across as too emotional, even all things considered, because she's normally pretty reserved in her grief.....but personally I think that had more to do with the art than the writing, so I take it with a grain of salt. Like I kinda imagine the script might have just said 'she looks upset here as she looks at this picture' and the artist went pretty heavy on the tears and facial anguish as their interpretation when personally I suspect that wasn't quite Orlando's intent. So.....I'm looking forward to seeing where he takes her, personally. The Annual didn't sell me on his take on her, like oh yeah he definitely gets her or whatever, but it wasn't any kind of dealbreaker either so I'm still in a 'wait and see, but optimistic' mode.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    I think its too soon to say, personally. Like she was fine in it but didn't have a ton to do. Most of her beats were spent establishing that she's mourning the loss of her daughter and Kate mentioning that there still might be a chance to save her or bring her back at least makes it clear Orlando's not intending to just forgot about that angle and its likely to be a focus of future stories - which was the big thing for me and what I most wanted the Annual to clarify. I'll be super annoyed if after Wanda's spell made it possible to bring back pretty much any mutant in history, somehow Kwannon's daughter ends up one of the only permanent casualties of the modern era, y'know? But I don't get the sense Orlando's intending to just forget her or brush that under the rug, so even if it takes awhile I think we will get to see her reunited with her daughter at last, and that's my big hope for her currently.

I know a lot of people thought she came across as too emotional, even all things considered, because she's normally pretty reserved in her grief.....but personally I think that had more to do with the art than the writing, so I take it with a grain of salt. Like I kinda imagine the script might have just said 'she looks upset here as she looks at this picture' and the artist went pretty heavy on the tears and facial anguish as their interpretation when personally I suspect that wasn't quite Orlando's intent. So.....I'm looking forward to seeing where he takes her, personally. The Annual didn't sell me on his take on her, like oh yeah he definitely gets her or whatever, but it wasn't any kind of dealbreaker either so I'm still in a 'wait and see, but optimistic' mode.
    The thing is, barely anybody knows about Kwannon's daughter. She's not a very private person. Beyond the Quiet Council and Hellions, I doubt anybody knows and it's not like they're gossiping about her. And while her daughter probably was a mutant, there are millions of souls for them to sift through in Wanda's Waiting Room, who knows what the process is like? I do hope Kwannon is able to get her daughter back.

Honestly, if Matsuo is her daughter's father, I could see something like him being resurrected by the Hand and then trying to make them resurrect his daughter while the Krakoans try too and that results in some sort of conflict. It could make for a neat story point.

Quote Originally Posted by Drexelhand View Post
    The thing is, barely anybody knows about Kwannon's daughter. She's not a very private person. Beyond the Quiet Council and Hellions, I doubt anybody knows and it's not like they're gossiping about her. And while her daughter probably was a mutant, there are millions of souls for them to sift through in Wanda's Waiting Room, who knows what the process is like? I do hope Kwannon is able to get her daughter back.

Honestly, if Matsuo is her daughter's father, I could see something like him being resurrected by the Hand and then trying to make them resurrect his daughter while the Krakoans try too and that results in some sort of conflict. It could make for a neat story point.
    Oh I'd love that! Maybe even tie Kwannon's daughter into a Damien-esque (Batman) story? In that she idolizes her father but resents her mother. Could be fun.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsbane View Post
    I can’t remember, but was Matsuo a Mutant?
    He was not. Another reason I doubt we will see him again, unless they decide to do a big story with the Hand.

He was never a popular character and really there only to explain Psylocke’s transformation into an Asian assassin.

But it long term plans decide to explore more of Psylocke’s past, they could go there.
    Last edited by WallStreeter; 02-06-2022 at 05:04 PM.

BANNED

The father of Kwannon’s daughter was never named. But Fallen Ángels established that the hand killed him. Kwannon’s daughter hadn’t manifested mutant powers jut she could be a latent mutant and if so her soul is in the waiting room created by Wanda. Kwannon has not asked for them to resurrect her daughter or find her. She is traumatized. Perhaps when she recovers emotionally.

Now of course whenever the band wants to they can resurrect Matsuo. Or maybe they already have and I missed the issue. Or I suppose they could directly resurrect Kwannon’s daughter as a part of some scheme.

So it’s likely we have not heard the last of this.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    He was not. Another reason I doubt we will see him again.

He was never a popular character and really there only to explain Psylocke’s transformation into an Asian assassin.
    No, Claremont planned for him to be a part of the Wild Boys storyline, but his departure, Wild Boys becoming the Upstarts and Niciesza forgetting to read the transformation turned him into the more complex character he ultimately became.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    Oh I'd love that! Maybe even tie Kwannon's daughter into a Damien-esque (Batman) story? In that she idolizes her father but resents her mother. Could be fun.
    That is true. Especially because if Matsuo is her father, then his first death was because he loved her, so the idea that the Hand continues to resurrect him because he loves her is tragic. There's a lot of potential in a family reunion storyline for Kwannon.

Damn, somebody in Twitter should start spamming Orlando with this like that one user spammed Duggan with Lourdes until he brought her back.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Drexelhand View Post
    No, Claremont planned for him to be a part of the Wild Boys storyline, but his departure, Wild Boys becoming the Upstarts and Niciesza forgetting to read the transformation turned him into the more complex character he ultimately became.

That is true. Especially because if Matsuo is her father, then his first death was because he loved her, so the idea that the Hand continues to resurrect him because he loves her is tragic. There's a lot of potential in a family reunion storyline for Kwannon.

Damn, somebody in Twitter should start spamming Orlando with this like that one user spammed Duggan with Lourdes until he brought her back.
    Why don’t you tweet to Orlando? Maybe he’ll do it. I wanna see Matsuo and Greycrow fight over Kwannon.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Why don’t you tweet to Orlando? Maybe he’ll do it. I wanna see Matsuo and Greycrow fight over Kwannon.
    Just might! I'd have to make a twitter first, but maybe when I have a break. Maybe I can ask my friend to put the theory on his blog even though that's about horror in Marvel Comics.

But if we're being honest, Matsuo probably wins that fight unless of course, Greycrow has his guns.

I was completely unaware of the translation of "Kwannon" and that it was not her real name. That being said, if we are to have Kwannon as a freestanding character, I would MUCH prefer "Mercy" as her Nomme du guerre rather than co-opting Elizabeth Braddock's former/future identity as Psylocke. Were these gaps in her back story revealed in HELLIONS or FALLEN ANGELS or...?

10 things to know about Kwannon:
    https://www.cbr.com/marvel-x-men-kwa...-need-to-know/
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    I was completely unaware of the translation of "Kwannon" and that it was not her real name. That being said, if we are to have Kwannon as a freestanding character, I would MUCH prefer "Mercy" as her Nomme du guerre rather than co-opting Elizabeth Braddock's former/future identity as Psylocke. Were these gaps in her back story revealed in HELLIONS or FALLEN ANGELS or...?

She’s going to keep the same Psylocke, for some obvious political and business reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post

Kwannon not being her real name was probably an attempt by Brian Hill to get people to just call her "Psylocke" as that was the name she actually chose to go by. Though as we know that wasn't effective at all.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    'Ya know... In this pic, Kwannon looks strikingly similar to Hoshi (Linda Park) Sato from Star Trek: Enterprise

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Kwannon not being her real name was probably an attempt by Brian Hill to get people to just call her "Psylocke" as that was the name she actually chose to go by. Though as we know that wasn't effective at all.
    They should introduce her real name. People are still going to call her Kwannon, but so what?

She was taken as a baby by the Hand, right?
    Makes sense she has no real name. Laura wouldn't have a real name either if it wouldn't have been for Sarah giving her one.
    Organizations like that don't bother with it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    She was taken as a baby by the Hand, right?
    Makes sense she has no real name. Laura wouldn't have a real name either if it wouldn't have been for Sarah giving her one.
    Organizations like that don't bother with it.
    Good point. She probably has a birth name, but if she was taken after birth they renamed her Kwannon and it’s all she has ever gone by.

She may have never known her biological parents. Though that’s indeterminate. I think they deliberately left a lot of mystery there so it can be explored later down the road.