Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930 LastLast
    BANNED

Before the movie issues, Wnda had not be retconned for decades. I don’t really care about retirement before I was born. You have to draw the line somewhere. Lol. Any additional retcons will occur because of the MCU, which has driven the retcons in recent years.

If we’re talking about rock hard fans of whatever in the 60s or 70s, many of those people have passed on and after awhile stuff just becomes not relevant.

For mass audiences she was known as Magneto’s daughter, and that is partially why that status quo was restored along with her becoming mutant adjacent. There have been various cartoons that portrayed her as such in the past 20 years.

She's the single most popular female character in Marvel comics. It's almost incontestable at this point. The fact that she isn't headlining her own named comic as well as placed on a premiere Avengers book is insane.

Is there a reason she needs 2 threads?....I mean her affiliation is the Avengers basically

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by cam18 View Post
    Is there a reason she needs 2 threads?....I mean her affiliation is the Avengers basically
    It's funny, I agree with you 100% that she doesn't need two appreciation threads, but the two threads are weirdly different, which is how you get some of the same people participating in them but talking about different things.

I guess the main thread is mostly fans lamenting that she's not in any comics, while this one is more about the question of her status as a mutant and Magneto's daughter.

In both cases of course it's about stuff that hasn't actually happened (being in a comic book; being un-retconned) so it's definitely redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Before the movie issues, Wnda had not be retconned for decades. I don’t really care about retirement before I was born. You have to draw the line somewhere. Lol. Any additional retcons will occur because of the MCU, which has driven the retcons in recent years.

If we’re talking about rock hard fans of whatever in the 60s or 70s, many of those people have passed on and after awhile stuff just becomes not relevant.

For mass audiences she was known as Magneto’s daughter, and that is partially why that status quo was restored along with her becoming mutant adjacent. There have been various cartoons that portrayed her as such in the past 20 years.
    How her powers had been retconned several times. Not just her origin. And just because it's before you were personally able to read does not mean it doesn't count. And it wasn't 60s and 70s. It was 80s - 2010s was the last time she was retconned as far as origin and powers. Don't forget that even how she was raised by the Maximoffs was retconned in Avengers Origins: Scarlet Witch & Quicksilver in 2012.

It was sort of restored. As much as they seem willing to for now. Those cartoons are also old now. She hasn't been in a cartoon as Mags' daughter since WatXM and SHSS. And those were in 2009. Almost everything is older for her because she was out of a lot of things for a lot of years. Her appearance in What If? was the first time she had been in animation in 12 years.

Which is why a lot of fans finding out about her from the MCU had to go back through years of content to find stuff about her.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    How her powers had been retconned several times. Not just her origin. And just because it's before you were personally able to read does not mean it doesn't count. And it wasn't 60s and 70s. It was 80s - 2010s was the last time she was retconned as far as origin and powers. Don't forget that even how she was raised by the Maximoffs was retconned in Avengers Origins: Scarlet Witch & Quicksilver in 2012.

It was sort of restored. As much as they seem willing to for now. Those cartoons are also old now. She hasn't been in a cartoon as Mags' daughter since WatXM and SHSS. And those were in 2009. Almost everything is older for her because she was out of a lot of things for a lot of years. Her appearance in What If? was the first time she had been in animation in 12 years.

Which is why a lot of fans finding out about her from the MCU had to go back through years of content to find stuff about her.
    Originally, all she could do was cast bad luck hexes had no magical powers. That’s clearly not who she is today. It may make fun for Wikipedia reading, but they had no bearing on how writers writer her today in comics, film, or media. Some old people get stuck in the past. I enjoy the present and look forward to the future. Marvel, if they want to make money and not go out if business has to do the same.

Originally, all she could do was cast bad luck hexes had no magical powers. That’s clearly not who she is today. It may make fun for Wikipedia reading, but they had no bearing on how writers writer her today in comics, film, or media. Some old people get stuck in the past. I enjoy the present and look forward to the future. Marvel, if they want to make money and not go out if business has to do the same.
    You missed most of what I said in my post there. Her rewrites are throughout her past into her present. It wasn't just older fans, or being stuck in the past. You are trying to be selective and cherrypick what you care about and define a whole character's almost 60 year history based on only what you find relative. When in reality this character has been retconned many times. And it's so weird that I can't even say that one of the most retconned characters in comics history has been retconned without you arguing with me over whether it's true. Please get another hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    It's funny, I agree with you 100% that she doesn't need two appreciation threads, but the two threads are weirdly different, which is how you get some of the same people participating in them but talking about different things.

I guess the main thread is mostly fans lamenting that she's not in any comics, while this one is more about the question of her status as a mutant and Magneto's daughter.

In both cases of course it's about stuff that hasn't actually happened (being in a comic book; being un-retconned) so it's definitely redundant.
    I guess that makes some sense........just never really viewed her as an X character

BANNED

You missed most of what I said in my post there. Her rewrites are throughout her past into her present. It wasn't just older fans, or being stuck in the past. You are trying to be selective and cherrypick what you care about and define a whole character's almost 60 year history based on only what you find relative. When in reality this character has been retconned many times. And it's so weird that I can't even say that one of the most retconned characters in comics history has been retconned without you arguing with me over whether it's true. Please get another hobby.
    I never told you what to say. I said I personally am not stuck in the past and 60s and 70s stories mean nothing to me. I live in the present.

What you like is up to you.

I’m not a nostalgic person. Some people are and that’s okay but I am not going to join people in nostalgia.

I never told you what to say. I said I personally am not stuck in the past and 60s and 70s stories mean nothing to me. I live in the present.

What you like is up to you.

I’m not a nostalgic person. Some people are and that’s okay but I am not going to join people in nostalgia.
    I wasn't asking you to. I said she was retconned. You wanted to cherrypick what retcons matter. Basically making an argument about fact. After already picking an argument about what I want to anticipate first. Seems like you just want to pick fights.

BANNED

I wasn't asking you to. I said she was retconned. You wanted to cherrypick what retcons matter. Basically making an argument about fact. After already picking an argument about what I want to anticipate first. Seems like you just want to pick fights.
    Some retcons don’t matter to me. Just because it is published doesn’t mean I have to care about it.

Some retcons don’t matter to me. Just because it is published doesn’t mean I have to care about it.
    That is completely unrelative to what I was saying.

BANNED

Big parts of Wanda’s past are no linger relevant. The Whizzer and Miss America, once though to be her parents, are not. It’s retcon not worth mentioning.

Magda is not Wanda’s mother since Axis. As of the Scarlet Witch limited series Natalia his her mother and the Maximoffs are her uncle and aunt.

As of Trial of Magneto, Magneto is once again her father and Polaris once again her half sister.

And as it relates to Wanda we will never her the Whizzer and his wife or even Magda mentioned again.

So there’s no reason for me to obsess with every detail of Wanda’s history. I enjoy present comics, not caring about what published in the 70s as that was for a different time and society.

BANNED

Now back to recent issues, it was nice seeing Wanda in the Hellfire Gala. I liked that she announced the winners of the votes for the XMen. I loved her sisterly bond with Polaris and how they born drawl with similar facial features. Maybe we will see more of her next year on Krakoa.

Big parts of Wanda’s past are no linger relevant. The Whizzer and Miss America, once though to be her parents, are not. It’s retcon not worth mentioning.

Magda is not Wanda’s mother since Axis. As of the Scarlet Witch limited series Natalia his her mother and the Maximoffs are her uncle and aunt.

As of Trial of Magneto, Magneto is once again her father and Polaris once again her half sister.

And as it relates to Wanda we will never her the Whizzer and his wife or even Magda mentioned again.

So there’s no reason for me to obsess with every detail of Wanda’s history. I enjoy present comics, not caring about what published in the 70s as that was for a different time and society.
    Again, none of this I was discussing. I was not discussing whether you count retcons. And Whizzer's wife was not Magda. It was Madelyne Joyce. And by your own standard, Wanda and Pietro being mutants and Mags kids wouldn't matter either.

You keep trying this silly argument, for god knows what reason.

When the real discussion was that the retcons with Wanda and Pietro likely won't stop because Wanda is on par with one of the most retconned characters in comics history, Donna Troy.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 08-12-2022 at 07:50 AM.