Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Or perhaps he just genuinely likes the characters he chose for the team and thinks they will have interesting dynamics, regardless of their race.

How you are reading it, feeling about it, internalising it...most likely isn't the way Duggan is writing/intending it to be read. He's not writing for you and us PoC specifically. So why take it so personally?
    Did Claremont suddenly decide that Storm was too powerful a Black character so he depowered her...for years?

Fictional writers putting "limits" on the PoC characters they're writing does not in any way devalue and limit us living, breathing, beauty-full, resplendent Persons of Colour, IRL. I do not feel any less of myself, of you, of all the PoC comic book fans and in general because one writer does something that I don't personally agree with. That is insane.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 07-13-2022 at 06:22 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    How you are reading it, feeling about it, internalising it...most likely isn't the way Duggan is writing/intending it to be read. He's not writing for you and us PoC specifically. So why take it so personally?
    Did Claremont suddenly decide that Storm was too powerful a Black character so he depowered her...for years?

Fictional writers putting "limits" on the PoC characters they're writing does not in any way devalue and limit us living, breathing, beauty-full, resplendent Persons of Colour, IRL. I do not feel any less of myself, of you, of all the PoC comic book fans and in general because one writer does something that I don't personally agree with. That is insane.
    That's part of the problem. When some people are complaining about other people taking their jobs no one is telling them why are they taking it so personally when other people have to work. Stating something that is apparent to you is not a fact but others trying to silence you by saying it's emotion or why you are taking it personal or why you don't fall back says more about them and their expectation to me than the supposed infliction of emotion. I can feel a certain way and it not be something i'm personally taking to heart in a sense i'm trying to call someone something out of their character. I was trying to explain how a person can protect storm the way he did but still not do anything for Bishop while elevating synch but still put a cap on him but yet the same writer can write white character with endless potential and no limits without ever seemingly running out of ideas. and if a writer is "writing for themself" or whatever and all they can provide is one kind of view are they really even writers. Not to me, they are entertainers who write. You can't tell stories if you can't express the breath of life. Andi feel some black people are all to ready to fall into the trope of take the crumbs and don't say nothing. I can intellectually conversate on ideas that i find poignant and it not be some "omg he's in his feelings." I mean were people who were saying all lives matter being told how stupid they sound by trying to scream all lives matter but then using examples of black on black crime to try to support their analysis without mentioning the predominantly white mass murderers. Why was that the time to choose all lives matters. Some of us just actually think.

And why do white people need to have so many idols and to be told their is no glass ceiling but then there is a double standard that there aren't some black people out there that need or want to see that. Human is human. it's kind of asinine to me.
    Last edited by jwatson; 07-13-2022 at 06:32 PM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Let me be clear to say i wasn't implying he was racist but he may be a little naive to the situation black male fans experience when it's like damn, every time we in the spotlight we got to be "put in our places" and no amount of trying to minimize that or say look there are 3 characters out of the 1000s in this american company is going to change that for me. I'm a little more lenient on books from japan, or china or other places, i admit that, but i expect more from the place i was born and i KNOW we deserve better and WE do exist, and there are no LIMITS for us. it would just be nice if writers who think the same about people who looked like them felt the same about everybody because if you sit down to create a team and most of them look the same, the problem lies somewhere the person is missing something. it's not always as cut and dry as someone being a racist.
    It is so frustrating how current Marvel seems hellbent on putting black male characters in their place. Look no further than the current BP run for this and it becomes real clear. I know when this type of subject is brought up people love to throw out names like Sam Wilson or Miles Morales. Let's be real when it comes to those characters, they have a ceiling just off the mantle's they have taken on. Marvel knows they will never surpass their namesakes so there is no danger in letting them thrive.

Dude...this is fictional entertainment. Not some grand existential statement on the state of PoC in America or any/everywhere. Either Read it and be miserable (for whatever valid reason, to you) or Read It and be entertained (for whatever valid reason, to you) that is your choice and your choice alone to make.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

and you can stick to your assumptions because it seems what i says makes you more emotional and "miserbale" than you think i am otherwise you wouldn't feel the need to act like you on payroll everytime someone has something to say about a very real issue that happens across both fiction and real life, including the changes to the bible and historical black figures and others of color over time. but you do you why are you pressed on what i say about fiction. especially since your the only one to actually introduce the word "racism" on the last few pages.
    Last edited by jwatson; 07-13-2022 at 06:41 PM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Likewise, dude. Likewise.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    It is so frustrating how current Marvel seems hellbent on putting black male characters in their place. Look no further than the current BP run for this and it becomes real clear. I know when this type of subject is brought up people love to throw out names like Sam Wilson or Miles Morales. Let's be real when it comes to those characters, they have a ceiling just off the mantle's they have taken on. Marvel knows they will never surpass their namesakes so there is no danger in letting them thrive.
    Yup. Sometimes i really think people be thinking they are the SMARTEST people in the room and we blind or something. Yet no one ever has a legitimate answer other than "don't be pressed and don't be emotional or look at ABCD replacement characters with their street level abilities" like we the ones climbing buildings simply because we didn't "Get what we wanted." i mean miss me.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

I thought Daddy-Ev looked HAWTT...sigh.

This “sinching by memory” makes Everett grow old it’s totally unnecessary and lame, finally you have this original character rising in popularity with a good thing going on, you pull all the brakes and take the first turn for this narrative retirement home? No bueno Duggan! Totally cliché and uncalled for….. so boring
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

I didn't like the "all-powerful" direction things were heading. I don't favor characters that are all-powerful like that.

But if you were gonna give it to him, why not just...give it to him?

The first time he attempted the feat he collapsed.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    The first time he attempted the feat he collapsed.
    The first time a lot of mutants or other super-powered beings use their abilities or try a new feat, they collapse...or worse.

I think the answer lies in his next encounter with the Children. It's on in September. And from the cover it looks like Ev might have a new costume too.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post

Do other characters go through hard times in Marvel and have issues? Yes. In these situations remember not all of Marvel’s gsn base is Black.

Plus just 5 years ago Dynch being in the main XMen team never would have happened. Ditto Sunfire or Forge. Aren’t you happy to see them there or you want them removed?

Astonishing Member

People can be happy about one development and still critical of others.

Its called multitasking.

I get that some fans are wary of people being hyper-critical of everything, but other fans are equally wary of being expected to settle, especially when it comes to a character who has been dead and in comic book limbo for longer than some fans have been alive, and thus ANY development can be labeled 'better than that at least' - because being expected to settle for any and all developments on the basis that well at least they're better than 'dead and unmentioned for twenty plus years' is NOT the winning argument some people seem to think it is.
    Last edited by BobbysWorld; 07-15-2022 at 08:04 PM.