Page 20 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

For me I feel Duggan has done very well by Everett and I saw his keeping him on the team as a great sign. Aside from the Laura side story which didn’t really go anywhere (so why bother?), he’s been really catapulted to a very high status in a short amount of time which he more than deserves. Seeing him in several cameos in other titles has in my mind made him a mainstay X-Man. So with all of that, I’m holding on strongly to hope that his upward development will continue unabated. To see the people of Krakoa instantly vote for him alongside the founders of this iteration of X-Men was beautiful.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    People can be happy about one development and still critical of others.

Its called multitasking.

I get that some fans are wary of people being hyper-critical of everything, but other fans are equally wary of being expected to settle, especially when it comes to a character who has been dead and in comic book limbo for longer than some fans have been alive, and thus ANY development can be labeled 'better than that at least' - because being expected to settle for any and all developments on the basis that well at least they're better than 'dead and unmentioned for twenty plus years' is NOT the winning argument some people seem to think it is.
    Very well said, This should be sticked to the top of the boards.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    For me I feel Duggan has done very well by Everett and I saw his keeping him on the team as a great sign. Aside from the Laura side story which didn’t really go anywhere (so why bother?), he’s been really catapulted to a very high status in a short amount of time which he more than deserves. Seeing him in several cameos in other titles has in my mind made him a mainstay X-Man. So with all of that, I’m holding on strongly to hope that his upward development will continue unabated. To see the people of Krakoa instantly vote for him alongside the founders of this iteration of X-Men was beautiful.
    It’s really great to see him as a main part of the Xmen now but I hated how the Laura stuff was just brushed over and ended, it felt like they were going to show us them becoming a couple again.

Honestly I am glad they shoved that aside. I am sure Hickman was very proud of himself for setting that up in the first place, but even that initial story was wonky. I've never been a fan of X23 and am glad Everett isn't going to be paired up with her. I don't think I really like this new development of him aging when he synchs with powers outside of his range, either[as revealed recently]. With the Resurrection Protocols, it isn't even a very credible limitation(you could just get a [fresh husk] periodically), and why does his power even need to be limited like that in the first place?
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

What might have been between him and Laura could have been interesting but...I'm quite okies with Duggan not pursuing it (in lieu of other team-drama...ugh! so not looking forward to that), that would've been way too much "stuff and nonsense" to deal with.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Mighty Member

Somebody go ask the artist nicely when we getting the back of Ev's card.. I am curious at how tall Ev is supposed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    Somebody go ask the artist nicely when we getting the back of Ev's card.. I am curious at how tall Ev is supposed to be.
    How tall he's supposed to be, or how tall he is? Even prior to Generation X, he was shown to have Sync'ed some of Sabretooth's size and bulk. Any variation on how tall he is, could easily be explained by him just copying somebody physical powers.

(Oddly enough though, despite it being very prominently shown in the Phalanx crossover, I don't think I can ever remember seeing him copying physical attributes at any other point during the whole Gen X run.)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    How tall he's supposed to be, or how tall he is? Even prior to Generation X, he was shown to have Sync'ed some of Sabretooth's size and bulk. Any variation on how tall he is, could easily be explained by him just copying somebody physical powers.

(Oddly enough though, despite it being very prominently shown in the Phalanx crossover, I don't think I can ever remember seeing him copying physical attributes at any other point during the whole Gen X run.)
    He copied skin and husk powers in the early issues but for others his aura did the heavy lifting I.e. penance and that strong morlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Or perhaps he just genuinely likes the characters he chose for the team and thinks they will have interesting dynamics, regardless of their race.

How you are reading it, feeling about it, internalising it...most likely isn't the way Duggan is writing/intending it to be read. He's not writing for you and us PoC specifically. So why take it so personally?
    Did Claremont suddenly decide that Storm was too powerful a Black character so he depowered her...for years?

Fictional writers putting "limits" on the PoC characters they're writing does not in any way devalue and limit us living, breathing, beauty-full, resplendent Persons of Colour, IRL. I do not feel any less of myself, of you, of all the PoC comic book fans and in general because one writer does something that I don't personally agree with. That is insane.
    I don't think you getting it! People read, write, and watch things for the very purpose of emotional fulfillment. The more levels of relatable nuance something is create with , the more emotional connections that will be developed. Fictional literature, especially when involving black and brown people who don't often get to see fully fleshed out narratives when they are included on rare occasions will have people that identify feeling some kind of way. Yes, its great to see Synch here, but we need to see sustained effort to give him due agency on this team, remember guy is a lot more hardcore and experienced than everyone else. We've seen tiny hints of it. Why did Duggan get gun shy on a relationship for Synch ? More can and should be done. Bishop has become the poster boy for black male hero representation that never makes big moves.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    They aren't but why are limits always imposed on the same kind of characters would be my question. Out of ALL the mutants only one is a person of color with unlimited potential. So that in of itself says something. It actually makes me think of Evil, the nun and the church were all so sure about their sides of things but as soon as someone said the angel was black they both met in the middle with their disbelief at something they don't know for a fact but it was fact for them. It was really well done and spoke so many facts about what people don't see or don't want to see imo.
    Cool to know that so many of us already know and understand just how peculiar this phenomenon is and that it happens. Its no big deal whenever a white has some cap put on their powers cause theres still like twenty more that are reality warpers, or world breakers! Case in point can anyone from this and any other thread name 10 omega, or even close to omega level black male mutants ????

There are a lot of great comments in this thread about Synch. I was in my early 20's when Synch made his debut. I wrote a letter to the editor and thanked Chris Bachalo for drawing Synch with decidedly Black features. Marvel actually printed it in the letters page of a "Generation X" issue. The character means a lot to some of us. I was reading X-books since I was 12 and there was never a young Black male mutant. A lot of us finally had someone to relate to in the books.
    I was freakin' over the moon when Synch was resurrected and got a spot on The X-Men. I'm not sure how I feel about this current "aging" revelation, but only time will tell.
    But it's interesting how Synch has had no conversations with anybody Black about how race relations have changed, or not, since he's been resurrected. That'd be a good single issue story. If I died as a young man and came back much later in life, that's what I'd wanna know.
    Mutant and Proud!

Quote Originally Posted by GeneTitan View Post
    There are a lot of great comments in this thread about Synch. I was in my early 20's when Synch made his debut. I wrote a letter to the editor and thanked Chris Bachalo for drawing Synch with decidedly Black features. Marvel actually printed it in the letters page of a "Generation X" issue. The character means a lot to some of us. I was reading X-books since I was 12 and there was never a young Black male mutant. A lot of us finally had someone to relate to in the books.
    I was freakin' over the moon when Synch was resurrected and got a spot on The X-Men. I'm not sure how I feel about this current "aging" revelation, but only time will tell.
    But it's interesting how Synch has had no conversations with anybody Black about how race relations have changed, or not, since he's been resurrected. That'd be a good single issue story. If I died as a young man and came back much later in life, that's what I'd wanna know.
    Bruuuuh Nice AF on getting your letter printed
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Bruuuuh Nice AF on getting your letter printed
    I was so hype that day in the comics shop. I brought 5 copies of the book!
    Mutant and Proud!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Race relations hadn't changed. And he and every other mutant are still living with the hatred and fear so...what is there to discuss?
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    For me I feel Duggan has done very well by Everett and I saw his keeping him on the team as a great sign. Aside from the Laura side story which didn’t really go anywhere (so why bother?), he’s been really catapulted to a very high status in a short amount of time which he more than deserves. Seeing him in several cameos in other titles so has in my mind made him a mainstay X-Man. So with all of that, I’m holding on strongly to hope that his upward development will continue unabated. To see the people of Krakoa instantly vote for him alongside the founders of this iteration of X-Men was beautiful.
    I think he has done a good job and i will eternally be grateful for him keeping storm safe but if we take that out and look at the way Bishop was written in maraduers, the new limits put on synch, and though keeping storm safe and my opinion doing the grunt work to getting fans reacquainted with her personality as an xman, mutant and person, and bringing back her core "powerless" age characteristics (ewing is now brining back her power) those who aren't die hard fans i can see painting an overall picture of don't backtrack now which is what the synch thing feels like. i could be wrong and i hope it's just a story beat, but it could be he's reigning in on going there. so i get the uncertainty because when it comes to characters of color the ceiling does seem to be low which lowkey has always been meta to me why storm is claustrophobic.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/