Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Synch was my favorite GenXer. I am happy to see him move up in the X-World. But damn because of Comixology I haven't been able to keep up to date.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Synch was my favorite GenXer. I am happy to see him move up in the X-World. But damn because of Comixology I haven't been able to keep up to date.
    I am LOVING that comixology which now sucks has a lot of like back issues for like 1.99/ 1.69 if you a member which the best thing about comixology is that unlimited discount which i my mind i feel i am atleast saving on taxes somewhere. lol. when i was in fl it was even better cause there was no online tax but i digress. I love the idea that marvel is digitizing their old library. I haven't bought any yet but i am more and more feeling like and maybe i will use my unlimited subscription to do so and the lack of like paper that i want to read marvel from the beginning or whatever is available from like the beginning. I mean i already have the xmen and fantastic four dvds so have read or browsed most of those but seeing like those old defender issues and x-force most recently makes me want to give it a go after my xtreme run.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    I still say it would be really interesting to bring back Gaia and have them enter a relationship again....particularly because the weirdness around how old she actually was is the reason she and Ev were never really a couple despite clearly being paired up as romantic interests when she was around.
    Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that aspect of Gaia. I like the idea of bringing her back (with her acting more mature now that she's been traveling all this time) and giving her and Ev a chance to bond over the fact that they're MUCH older than the young adult bodies they inhabit. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Good to know. I never knew if they'd aged the Gen X team to adulthood or not. Which now makes me wonder how old are all of the New Mutants crew? Or is everyone basically in their 20s now, given sliding timescale crap that makes it nearly impossible for the original X-Men to get too old?
    I've thought of it as GenXers being in their early 20s while New Mutants are in their mid-to-late 20s.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    There's "physical age" and "mental age."

If Skin died at the age of 17 (?), and was resurrected in a "21 peak of his life body," implanting only the memories he had prior, that does not make him 21 mentally.

I know this isn't the case with Monet, but one can tread into dangerously sickening waters if the quoted text above is assumed to be true.
    I think living in that Children of the Vault place for hundreds of years worked out that particular difficulty between being 17 mentally vs. 21 physically... it's now more like 200+ mentally vs. 21 physically. ;D

Of course, if he was resurrected into a "20s-ish" body, and all the GenXers are also in their 20s, then it really isn't a problem for him and Monet to date, IMO...
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

Quote Originally Posted by Starleafgirl View Post
    I've thought of it as GenXers being in their early 20s while New Mutants are in their mid-to-late 20s.
    I don't think it actually works that way. I think of the NM's, Gen X, and the youngest X-Men to actually be the same age(20-25), and O5/Storm/etc are still barely/not even 30(then you have Polaris/Havok/Madrox/Nightcrawler who are in between them, so let's say "26/27"). Remember Piotr is younger than Karma. Chamber is older than Pryde. Rahne is several years younger than Sam, but Paige is only 2 or 3 years younger than Sam. Rachel and Rogue joined as teenagers, when the NM's were also teens, and Siryn was also a teen. Remember that the whole history of the team is barely more than a decade, the publication time is 6x.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I don't think it actually works that way. I think of the NM's, Gen X, and the youngest X-Men to actually be the same age(20-25), and O5/Storm/etc are still barely/not even 30(then you have Polaris/Havok/Madrox/Nightcrawler who are in between them, so let's say "26/27"). Remember Piotr is younger than Karma. Chamber is older than Pryde. Rahne is several years younger than Sam, but Paige is only 2 or 3 years younger than Sam. Rachel and Rogue joined as teenagers, when the NM's were also teens, and Siryn was also a teen. Remember that the whole history of the team is barely more than a decade, the publication time is 6x.
    I know that's how it works in the comics, but how ridiculous at this point that you can't even say the original X-Men are in their 30s or 40s? XD

Also, why should anyone listen to what the original X-Men have to say if they're basically the same age as the new kids? Lol.

Marvel should go ahead and let the oldest X-Men be in their 30s or 40s and Magneto/Xavier be in their 60s or older... I mean, there's room there, for some of the OG X-Men, to be something before the 50+ crowd before I'm part of the 50+ crowd! I'm sure people have been ranting about that for ages, though...
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

Not gonna happen with Krakoa changing the concept of age.

BANNED

I know that's how it works in the comics, but how ridiculous at this point that you can't even say the original X-Men are in their 30s or 40s? XD

Also, why should anyone listen to what the original X-Men have to say if they're basically the same age as the new kids? Lol.

Marvel should go ahead and let the oldest X-Men be in their 30s or 40s and Magneto/Xavier be in their 60s or older... I mean, there's room there, for some of the OG X-Men, to be something before the 50+ crowd before I'm part of the 50+ crowd! I'm sure people have been ranting about that for ages, though...
    All of that is false at this point. In an universe where people die and get resurrected all the time, there really aren’t official ages once you become adult. Cyclops could be old by now but he will always be Resurrected young. Destiny, who looked 100 years old but was 200, was resurrected as a 25 year old because Mystique does not age.

So now that the X-Men are immortal there’s no reference to their ages anymore, nor will there be.

It'd be interesting if there was someone/some group that had kept up with comics history and attempted to apply it to "real time." Taking every event and estimating how much real time that would take. Every car trip, every plane ride, every "boss fight," every time-skip ("8 months later"). Gosh, what an undertaking though!

Everything gets reeeeaaaaaal weird when you have characters like Franklin/Valeria/Pryde/etc. that have been allowed to age up a bit.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I just don't get the idea of synch and his mental age being a problem when in the real world people laud old a$$ men for dating young women and boys. it makes my mind spin looking for logic.
    Not necessarily true in all cases. There are some who think it's anything but praiseworthy for an 80 year old man to be dating or married to a woman in her 20s. And even though there are some political parties out there seeking to make it legal for a man to marry any person irrespective of age -- yes, even teens -- not everyone fully endorses that sort of thing. Quite the contrary.

And just to be clear, yes, there is a huge difference in the way that a person in their older years thinks compared to a person who is much, much younger. That isn't a subject of debate at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I mean nobody says boo about Hercules and Marvel Boy in guardians and isn't hercules like millenia old. So who isn't hercules too old for?
    Exceptions are generally made for gods and immortals. In fact, this wouldn't be the first time that a Greek god took up with a child in their teens according to several myths. That's not to say that such behavior should be normalized. Gods have always seen themselves as the makers and breakers of laws and social convention.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Synch died at age 200 something and was resurrected to a body in his 20s. The issue definitely isnt that he is underage when it comes to her
    I guess at the end of the day none of the ageing matters. All of this can be adjusted with a dialogue box or two to suit the writer's purposes.

I just imagined that when Everett finally did "grow up", he'd look like a mature, grown man. From most of the images that I've seen of him, he still looks like someone that could pass for a teenager. And it doesn't help that there is a clear height disparity between him and the other stalwarts. He's got this Peter Pan thing going, which I'm not a fan of at all.

Mighty Member

So what is the solution to this "age" issue? I am not hearing any solutions. I still think instead of worrying about potential romances we should hope for character development and some internal monologue from Ev...

But it is funny I dont see folks keeping this energy with Wolverine or Magneto or Cable.. hell everyone shipped Daddy A and Rictor.. didnt hear this discourse at all. hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    So what is the solution to this "age" issue? I am not hearing any solutions. I still think instead of worrying about potential romances we should hope for character development and some internal monologue from Ev...

But it is funny I dont see folks keeping this energy with Wolverine or Magneto or Cable.. hell everyone shipped Daddy A and Rictor.. didnt hear this discourse at all. hmmm
    Oh, it was there. Of course it was drowned out by a lot of "If you don't absolutely loooooove Hickman and everything about the current era of X-Men, you're a bigot!" talk.

Think about how much more mature high schoolers seemed to be when you were in middle school. A few years can make a big difference[at that age]. Cyclops can be 29 and still be much more accomplished than a 21 year old Pryde(especially when he's actually 39 mentally from raising Nate in the future). As far as Xavier goes, he was specified as 41 in Morrison's run, which in-story I consider only 3 years or so ago. Remember he fathered Legion in his early 20's, and David was introduced as a teenager in NMs. Casting Patrick in the role 'grandfathered' him too much. Magneto is a whole other mess, but remember 1963 was not even 20 years after the War, so in theory he would have been under 40 to begin with. For context, MLK Jr. and Malcolm X were only 39 when assassinated, and yet they accomplished so much in terms of their activism.

If you want 40, 50, and 60-something superheroes, the MCU has got you covered... but in the X-Lore, the main squad are still younger.
    Last edited by yogaflame; 05-03-2022 at 06:33 AM.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Hickman's timeline in House of X 2 had Moira be 52 years old when Krakoa was founded.
    Given that House of X also had Xavier be a few years older than her and since at least one year has passed since Krakoa started (2 Hellfire Galas), current Xavier should be in his late 50s.
    You can even look at Xavier's birth scene in X Lives of Wolverine 1 to get a sense of how old he is. That was not a modern house in any sense of the word.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Not gonna happen with Krakoa changing the concept of age.
    That being said, to bring it back to Synch, I agree with Havok83 in that the resurrection protocols have changed the idea of age.
    I think we should come to think of mutants as having two ages now, their physical age (how chronologically old their bodies are) and their mental age (how many years of lived experience do they have).

Scott and Jean, for example, were resurrected with bodies that are biologically in their late 20s (which upholds JDW's assertion of how old the O5 are) but they are mentally in their 40s (30+ years in the present + 12 years in the future raising their son).
    On the one end of the spectrum you have characters like Destiny (physical age ~ 30, mental age ~ 130) and then on the other end you have characters like Rockslide 2.0 (physical age ~ 18, mental age - a few months).
    So Synch is both a teenager (physical age) and hundreds of years old (mental age).
    It's not a contradiction - it's just a deviation from how human aging works.