Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I've just been looking at some of Mike McKone's work and came across a rendition of Wondy in his original costume:

The proportions look a little off, but it's always nice to see Simon in his original threads.
    This is Wonder Man to me. Maybe lose the design in the midriff, but otherwise, I think it still works.

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    So what do you think about Wonder Man being an influencer, I mean since most of the hollywood stars do keep some social media. I think he will be a great fit to tell the plot.
    Sounds interesting. Simon certainly has a lot of experience when it comes to these sorts of things.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    George Perez (RIP)

Nice find, K7P5V!

Classic Simon Williams Wonder Man!!

His look says, "C'mon, mess with me. I dare you." LoL
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Nice find, K7P5V!

Classic Simon Williams Wonder Man!!

His look says, "C'mon, mess with me. I dare you." LoL
    Thanks. I LOVE the classics, just like you. Hopefully there won't be any friendly-fire, if you know what I mean.

Astonishing Member

Simon had so much potential in those days. I think it was largely squandered when Jim Shooter took him down the road where he started wearing a jacket and was crippled by his fear of dying again.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Simon had so much potential in those days. I think it was largely squandered when Jim Shooter took him down the road where he started wearing a jacket and was crippled by his fear of dying again.
    Yessss! I hated that look as well as the crippling fear! I also did not find it "ironic that our Ionic" Man was petrified of dying (again).

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Didn't that happen after Shooter had left the book? Shooter seemed to be the main guy driving for Wondy to be this big powerhouse for the Avengers.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    So what do you think about Wonder Man being an influencer, I mean since most of the hollywood stars do keep some social media. I think he will be a great fit to tell the plot.
    Considering I hate social media and the culture surrounding "influencers", I'm not crazy about the idea, personally. However I do think it would make a certain sense in-universe for a character like Simon. Unfortunately.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Didn't that happen after Shooter had left the book? Shooter seemed to be the main guy driving for Wondy to be this big powerhouse for the Avengers.
    He was freezing up in battle in stories scripted by Shooter, and he started with the safari jacket look at the beggining of the Korvac saga, which was Shooter's work. So, I guess, he can't dodge this one, as he tried to do with Hank Pym's "The Slap!".

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    He was freezing up in battle in stories scripted by Shooter, and he started with the safari jacket look at the beggining of the Korvac saga, which was Shooter's work. So, I guess, he can't dodge this one, as he tried to do with Hank Pym's "The Slap!".

Peace
    Yes, the jacket debuted under Shooter, but the crippling fear was an arc that started with issue #162 and finished in #166, with Wondy overcoming his fear to fight the uber-powerful Nefaria. It's a great arc, imo, and after that the freezing up in battle was gone. Shooter is still talking Wondy up in #172, for example (though it's not his finest moment - he's trying to impress Ms Marvel and it goes badly):

I think it's under other writers that Wonder Man regresses to being afraid in combat. Not that I want to defend Shooter too much - he did a lot of damage, mainly in his second Avengers stint (Hank Pym, Tigra... neither have ever recovered).

I think both the jacket and the fear, with shooter and before/after him, crippled Simon in many ways.

For example, in the pics above, Simon was at least as agile as Ms M and faster, but the jacket and his need to prove that he is a man and not afraid messed him up, while he thinks a woman like Ms M gets into fights and "doesn't just point like Wanda and the Wasp, but belts people like a man would"--a direct quote I remember from that issue in a panel just before those shown.

Simon's strength, durability, speed, agility and fists that "hit like Thor's hammer" should have been enough to overcome Tyrak. But Simon's fighting ability and common sense went away during these times.

Astonishing Member

I think it's under other writers that Wonder Man regresses to being afraid in combat. Not that I want to defend Shooter too much - he did a lot of damage, mainly in his second Avengers stint (Hank Pym, Tigra... neither have ever recovered).
    I agree. His Tigra suffered a similar affliction to being afraid in battle. I don't think he explained it, but it could be assumed she also had 'died' and was on her second life. I guess Bendis's dislike of Tigra stemmed from Shooter's portrayal, because she had always been a very confident and formidable character prior. Hank Pym did kinda move beyond the slap, but the 'Me Too' generation just won't let it go. Simon never really did anything memorable after losing his original look -- even when starring in his own series, IMHO.

This is Wonder Man to me. Maybe lose the design in the midriff, but otherwise, I think it still works.
    Those squiggly lines in the midsection always made me think Simon was wearing a girdle.

I like his first two uniforms when he wore a cowl. It's a dated look, but he looked more formidable in those than he did with black tank top and tights. A couple of years back someone posted his first costume in black/red -- and it look pretty good -- more impressive.
    Was it this?
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 05-10-2022 at 12:27 PM.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I agree. His Tigra suffered a similar affliction to being afraid in battle. I don't think he explained it, but it could be assumed she also had 'died' and was on her second life. I guess Bendis's dislike of Tigra stemmed from Shooter's portrayal, because she had always been a very confident and formidable character prior. Hank Pym did kinda move beyond the slap, but the 'Me Too' generation just won't let it go. Simon never really did anything memorable after losing his original look -- even when starring in his own series, IMHO.
    Wait, really?
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Those squiggly lines in the midsection always made me think Simon was wearing a girdle.

Was it this?
    Kind of too cartooney, IMHO, however, with some tweaking, I think it has potential.

Peace