Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    And a good costume is any one without green, imo...
    Lol! I do like the black and red one, but this is a new era. Maybe Simon needs another great NEW costume with some new colors? I would not mind as long as the design was good. Show off Wondy's powerful arms, keep some type of goggles/shades and wrist bands.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Lol! I do like the black and red one, but this is a new era. Maybe Simon needs another great NEW costume with some new colors? I would not mind as long as the design was good. Show off Wondy's powerful arms, keep some type of goggles/shades and wrist bands.
    I've always liked quite a lot the George Prerez design when Simon came back to life in Heroes Return. I wish it had lasted about as much as the current one, which I find extremely bland.

I like the art on this picture of course, but the costume is basically a jump suit with wristbands, red boots and a giant W on the chest. I also find the arm and thigh streaks really wierd. They don't seem to mesh.

On an unrelated topic, I'm currently re-reading Busiek and Perez's Avengers (Perez's recent sad news led me to do it). It's awsome, of course. I've read the whole series dozens of times and it still feels so fresh! But yesterday I noticed something. Simon is actually quite good in macho trash talk. Exceptionally good, I must say. Maybe it was all those years as a Hollywood action star (back when Hollywood action stars were actually allowed to macho trash talk, without fear of offending someone).

Peace

PS: Sorry if I was too lazy to actually hunt down other pictures of the costumes I was talking about and just appropriated the images from other posters right in this thread.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I've always liked quite a lot the George Prerez design when Simon came back to life in Heroes Return. I wish it had lasted about as much as the current one, which I find extremely bland.
    I loved the Perez redesign as well--it might be my favourite Wonder Man costume. It was a nice modern update of best elements of his classic black-and-red outfit of the WCA era.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    On an unrelated topic, I'm currently re-reading Busiek and Perez's Avengers (Perez's recent sad news led me to do it). It's awsome, of course. I've read the whole series dozens of times and it still feels so fresh! But yesterday I noticed something. Simon is actually quite good in macho trash talk. Exceptionally good, I must say. Maybe it was all those years as a Hollywood action star (back when Hollywood action stars were actually allowed to macho trash talk, without fear of offending someone).

Peace
    Glad to hear it! It's nice when someone remembers Wondy's cinematic talents from his days in Hollywood (LOL):

Last edited by K7P5V; 01-27-2022 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Added Clarification.

Mighty Member

RCO021_1466361091.jpg

On a interest note, Wonder Man pretty bad with this art. His arm especially look like the size of Hulk arms. I wonder do writer research how a normal guy arm look like?

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    RCO021_1466361091.jpg

On a interest note, Wonder Man pretty bad with this art. His arm especially look like the size of Hulk arms. I wonder do writer research how a normal guy arm look like?
    And his hair and head like more Hulk-like as well. Not the usual Simon we see on panel.

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    And his hair and head like more Hulk-like as well. Not the usual Simon we see on panel.
    RCO005_1583405641.jpg

I know right. Beside, Sean Izaakse draw the best Wonder Man art.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

RCO021_1466361091.jpg

They really shot that mini series in the foot by putting that artist on it. PAD's story was great, but the emotional weight of it was hampered by that cartoonish art...

Considering all he does is write the occasional AU mini these days, I'd actually love to see PAD do more with Simon.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

They really shot that mini series in the foot by putting that artist on it. PAD's story was great, but the emotional weight of it was hampered by that cartoonish art...

Considering all he does is write the occasional AU mini these days, I'd actually love to see PAD do more with Simon.
    PAD writing Wondy again would be AWESOME!

Astonishing Member

I agree; the artist was a horrible fit for that project. It also didn't help that they forgot halfway through the story when it actually took place. In the first issue Simon refers to events of "Avengers Disassembled" in the past tense, and then in the final issue we are at a party at Avengers Mansion with an editor's note that it takes place before "Disassembled". Whoops!

PAD is usually one of my favourite writers, but between the bad fit artist and the continuity flubs this was not one of his best projects, which was disappointing since I was so excited when it was announced he was writing a Wonder Man book, especially with Beast and Carol Danvers as supporting players.

Not just AU--he also does a series of untold tale Spider-Man minis set back in the period when Spidey still wore the symbiote costume. Given that he tends to use a lot of guest stars in those (the last one used the Eternals, Dr. Strange, etc; the "King In Black" tie-in one used Monica Rambeau, Black Knight, Rocket Raccoon), maybe we'll get to see him do one with Simon guest starring. The West Coast Avengers founded not long after the original Secret Wars--maybe PAD can do a SYMBIOTE SPIDER-MAN mini where Spidey ends up on the West Coast and teaming up with the WCA?

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Not just AU--he also does a series of untold tale Spider-Man minis set back in the period when Spidey still wore the symbiote costume. Given that he tends to use a lot of guest stars in those (the last one used the Eternals, Dr. Strange, etc; the "King In Black" tie-in one used Monica Rambeau, Black Knight, Rocket Raccoon), maybe we'll get to see him do one with Simon guest starring. The West Coast Avengers founded not long after the original Secret Wars--maybe PAD can do a SYMBIOTE SPIDER-MAN mini where Spidey ends up on the West Coast and teaming up with the WCA?
    Yeah AU was an inaccurate choice of terms on my part, but I was referring the Symbiote Spider-Man and Maestro series' of minis. Both of which I've enjoyed.

I'm typically not a fan of retcon based titles (see X-Men Forever and X-Men Legends), but PAD is a writer who can do these types of stories convincingly and since Wondy isn't being used for anything else would be a perfect candidate for this kind of book!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Mighty Member

ww design.jpg

So, what do you think of my redesign based on the classic costume but with modern outfit.

ww design.jpg

So, what do you think of my redesign based on the classic costume but with modern outfit.
    I like it!

I like the thin bicep bands too. Simon's hair looks good here, as does his face without the glasses. Villains would not even know it was him until it was too late!
    Last edited by Phoenixx9; 02-19-2022 at 08:18 AM.

ww design.jpg

I actually prefer this colour scheme to the current one. It seems so bland in blue and red.

Peace

Looks good to me.