Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Late with my E:B,W&B #3 thoughts. The Nocetti story is definitely setting up the Elektra/Typhoid clash in #100. I enjoyed it, but again we have more recons going on. This one fits far more neatly than Zdarsky's recent efforts. In fact I've now decided to pretend that his didn't happen and make up my own head cannon about when this occurred. The 2nd story by Azaceta had great art which was reminiscent of parts of Sienkiewicz in Elektra:Assassin. Hard to pin down when it could have taken place in continuity though. The final story by Pepose, who will be writing her in Savage Avengers can only be OOC because there's no way Elektra was up and running as an Assassin before Natasha had completed her training with the Red Room. Plus Elektra states she has died and been resurrected which happened after she left the Hand. His voice is good for Elektra and according to his Twitter he is a huge fan of her so I think we can expect good things from him when the book relaunches.

Yeah, Pepose's issue is super OOC, but we've also had two stories that show two different versions of Elektra death, so continuity isn't a concern for me haha.

More important, like you said, is that it feels like the writer has a good grasp on Elektra's voice.

BTW, some color preview pages for Savage Avengers 1:

https://aiptcomics.com/2022/04/01/ma...ge-avengers-1/

Devil's Reign 6 is out today! Elektra's not in it a ton, but she gets some good moments/dialogue. The end also sets up the new direction, and justifies Elektra's continued role in the DD series (even if not quite keeping the new DD costume)

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tsaimelemoni View Post
    Yeah, Pepose's issue is super OOC, but we've also had two stories that show two different versions of Elektra death, so continuity isn't a concern for me haha.
    Yeah, I've sort of decided to be flexible with Elektra origin continuity since both that and the Hand have been retconned a bunch of times. I almost took the claim to be that Elektra died and was resurrected when she initially joined the Hand (and maybe had it a second time later when Matt purged the evil from her?). It's not at all consistent with how the stories were originally portrayed but it fits how they've been treating the Hand recently as sort of Zombie Ninja Warriors. Writers have gone with the idea that it's OK to kill the Hand because they're not really alive. Resurrection has gone from something needed to bring back their greatest warriors (that requires the sacrifice of many of their not so great warriors) to almost an initiation into the organization. I hope they push back from this and go back towards the original idea, but I can see why one would go down this path.

Likewise, Natasha Romanoff has been retconned so many times it's hard to keep it all straight. I'm sure the timeline didn't add up, but it's honestly easier to go with the flow at this point.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

ELEKTRA 100 Preview Not feeling Elektra's ponytail.
    Last edited by scouse mouse; 04-08-2022 at 07:18 AM.

It's different, that's for sure. I don't really mind it, but I like the slightly different take on her costume more

Elektra 100 today!

Overall it was pretty good. I was decently meh on some aspects of handling mental health stuff, but Elektra and Mary are a good pair, and I actually really liked their final actions in the first story. Really solidifies how much each has grown, and I want more interaction between them!

The second story was really good as well, a superior version of the middle story from last Elektra: BWB.

And, I wasn't as annoyed by the Sunday comics style strips.

Picked up Elektra #100 today. A decent read but not without some issues. spoilers:
    Nocenti's story is well written and as expected, makes her previous story in B,W&B cannon, however she goes more in depth into her own creation Typhoid Mary than with Elektra. I'm assuming Elektra is in a variation of her normal costume because she doesn't want to to tie her DD with any more criminal actions but its not outright explained. The story should have been much more focused on Elektra rather than her foe, which has been a problem with previous Elektra stories were they focus on maintaining her mystery at the expense of character development.
    Shavley's short is fun and we get a proper Elektra internal dialogue from it. Art is also very nice too. The comic strip shorts are a bit "eh" and not really fitting Elektra's character. And why one was about Matt and Stick I do not know!? It was good that they have clarified how Elektra has reached 100 issues. They never counted Elektra and Wolverine:The Redeemer. But included Elektra:The Hand in which she only appeared in about 5 pages across all 5 issues!
    end of spoilers

Elektra 100 today!

Overall it was pretty good. I was decently meh on some aspects of handling mental health stuff, but Elektra and Mary are a good pair, and I actually really liked their final actions in the first story. Really solidifies how much each has grown, and I want more interaction between them!

The second story was really good as well, a superior version of the middle story from last Elektra: BWB.

And, I wasn't as annoyed by the Sunday comics style strips.
    Posted at the same time Tsai!

Haha, what luck. I do agree with your main critique - too often people seem to think the best way to maintain Elektra's mystique is to just.... not focus on her??

Haha, what luck. I do agree with your main critique - too often people seem to think the best way to maintain Elektra's mystique is to just.... not focus on her??
    Yeah, it was a major problem I had with her Marvel Knights series. Bend is and Rodi concentrated on those around her and their reactions rather than on Elektra herself. Rucka got more under the skin of Elektra, so his issues were far more enjoyable.

Peach Momoko variant for Devil's Reign:Omega
    IMG_20220413_224544.jpg
    Last edited by scouse mouse; 04-13-2022 at 02:54 PM.

I really like that variant. Peach's style in general is so great, I recently saw this from their Twitter:

20220413_103052.jpg

It was a decent issue but my biggest gripes with all the recent Elektra stories (outside of D:WWF) is that the writers don't make her the sole focus. Especially with a #100 and the BWB series, they are to celebrate the character and she's always second to whatever character is with her. I know Frank Miller is iffy nowadays but back when he was writing her, he always knew how to make her feel like the star, even when she might have been out of the scene. I know Ann Nocenti was a co-creator of Typhoid Mary but it felt more like a celebration of her than it was of Elektra...