Page 109 of 271 FirstFirst ... 95999105106107108109110111112113119159209 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,635 of 4059
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    They'll work it out, but yeah need drama, but did see a good and probably correct interpretation of the MJ mystery box from a review:
    "Paul is Mysterio and is trying to help MJ hide somehow. I also think that he is hoping that she will come to love him and his fake kids (I’m betting robots) and when this is over and she tries to leave, he is going to try and stop her and keep her against her will."
    It's a great theory but:

1) MJ isn't in hiding. She goes on television with Aunt Anna to promote Krakoan drugs.

2) Tombstone has Mysterio's (and Electro's) costumes. Now, sure, Quentin could have just misplaced a set of his fancy duds or they could be counterfeit costumes - but Mysterio doesn't seem the type to not keep track of his things and if the costumes weren't real, then they wouldn't really be worth anything to Tombstone in the upcoming gang war. This points to Mysterio being already incapacited, perhaps by whoever is behind the Super Adaptoid.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    It's a great theory but:

1) MJ isn't in hiding. She goes on television with Aunt Anna to promote Krakoan drugs.

2) Tombstone has Mysterio's (and Electro's) costumes. Now, sure, Quentin could have just misplaced a set of his fancy duds or they could be counterfeit costumes - but Mysterio doesn't seem the type to not keep track of his things and if the costumes weren't real, then they wouldn't really be worth anything to Tombstone in the upcoming gang war. This points to Mysterio being already incapacited, perhaps by whoever is behind the Super Adaptoid.
    Mysterio doesnt fully need his suit and he has more than one and is pretty good at hypnosis and so far only seen Otto being captured and so far, plus it's only 2 issues in and only clue is a costume for Mysterio and Electro which can probably easily be acquired as replicas. He has an infatuation with MJ and can create robots and illusions so the theory stands that Paul is Mysterio and the kids looks nothing like Paul so used Peter and MJ as the base for their looks. It's the most reasonable and probable scenario that's that's happening and can be easily explained away. We'll either get an explanation right before or in 900 then move to the Moria Jane plotline

They'll work it out, but yeah need drama, but did see a good and probably correct interpretation of the MJ mystery box from a review:
    "Paul is Mysterio and is trying to help MJ hide somehow. I also think that he is hoping that she will come to love him and his fake kids (I’m betting robots) and when this is over and she tries to leave, he is going to try and stop her and keep her against her will."
    OMG! With some minor alterations, it's Jonathan Caesar all over again.
    If you're theory about Mysterio turns out to be true, then I can't wait for the outcome (LOL):

Last edited by K7P5V; 05-27-2022 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Added Clarification.

Astonishing Member

Mysterio doesnt fully need his suit and he has more than one and is pretty good at hypnosis and so far only seen Otto being captured and so far, plus it's only 2 issues in and only clue is a costume for Mysterio and Electro which can probably easily be acquired as replicas. He has an infatuation with MJ and can create robots and illusions so the theory stands that Paul is Mysterio and the kids looks nothing like Paul so used Peter and MJ as the base for their looks. It's the most reasonable and probable scenario that's that's happening and can be easily explained away. We'll either get an explanation right before or in 900 then move to the Moria Jane plotline
    But MJ isn't hiding. When you go on television, you are very very visible (and indeed, that appears to be how Moira finds her). So the premise he is doing this to help her hide is null. That leaves Mysterio holding MJ against her will, which means it's a tired retread of Jonathon Caeser and whoever the dude was that held MJ when everyone thought she was dead.

Also, I didn't read Mysterio's and MJ's relationship as infatuation. As far as I recall, he didn't really hit on her. He only approached her for the film because Kindred made him, to get MJ out of town (man, I wish Spencer had been able to tell the story he originally conceived). He treated her like a creative partner on the film.

The costumes being replicas doesn't fly, either. Tombstone, for all his faults, is a pretty straight shooter. If he's selling a goblin glider, it's a goblin glider. He doesn't double cross people like that - instead, he gets even with people who try a double cross on him. And White Rabbit says they need to sell the costumes to get cash for the gang war, which makes it sound like they have a buyer with lots of money who would probably know if the costumes are real or not.

Maybe the theory is right and it will play out that way, but I'm hoping for a modicum of more originality.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 05-27-2022 at 11:19 AM.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    But MJ isn't hiding. When you go on television, you are very very visible (and indeed, that appears to be how Moira finds her). So the premise he is doing this to help her hide is null. That leaves Mysterio holding MJ against her will, which means it's a tired retread of Jonathon Caeser and whoever the dude was that held MJ when everyone thought she was dead. It's....cliche.

Also, I didn't read Mysterio's and MJ's relationship as infatuation. As far as I recall, he didn't really hit on her. He only approached her for the film because Kindred made him, to get MJ out of town (man, I wish Spencer had been able to tell the story he originally conceived). He treated her like a creative partner on the film.

The costumes being replicas doesn't fly, either. Tombstone, for all his faults, is a pretty straight shooter. If he's selling a goblin glider, it's a goblin glider. He doesn't double cross people like that - instead, he gets even with people who trya double cross on him. And White Rabbit says they need to sell the costumes to get cash for the gang war, which makes it sound like they have a sophisticated buyer who would know if the costumes are real or not.

Maybe the theory is right and it will play out that way, but I'm hoping for a modicum of more originality.
    At lot of this stuff is a rehash or redo of stuff that's been done before. I dont think they'll do anything original in this run that we haven't seen before. Even JMS created original villains and interesting plots

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I wonder how the Moira Jane thing will tie into everything. I doubt they'll blame everything on that.
    I have my doubts Moira Jane will do anything more than just briefly pulling a Superior MJ during Gala, but who knows, maybe Marvel will reveal Moira is actually MJ's long lost sister or somethin' in the middle of all of that.

(I'm expecting Peter to save MJ, and then it gets immediately contrasted with his failure to save Gwen as part of the upcoming Judgment Day tie-in.)
    Hah, nice guess, considering Eternals **** happens right after Gala's, you might be right.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

At lot of this stuff is a rehash or redo of stuff that's been done before. I dont think they'll do anything original in this run that we haven't seen before. Even JMS created original villains and interesting plots
    Funny enough, there were people crapping all over JMS for not using the standard rogues back when his run was originally published.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Funny enough, there were people crapping all over JMS for not using the standard rogues back when his run was originally published.
    And the one time he did was a pretty good Doc Ock story, he really should have tried doing more of that.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    And the one time he did was a pretty good Doc Ock story, he really should have tried doing more of that.
    "Are you . . . helping me?"

"No. Hurting him."

How an "enemy mine" between a hero and villain who've had years of strong, deep-rooted antagonism toward each other should go, perfectly summed up.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Indeed. With JRJR at the peak of his artistic prowess, it would've been great to read the JMS version of Brock's Venom (XD)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    People always do that and then complain that comics are too samey.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    People always do that and then complain that comics are too samey.
    As I see it the problem is that writers cannot hope to please everyone.

Writer:
    Creates new villains: We have good under used villains. Why are you doing this? Or. F***ing Mary Sues. Or. Just chasing that adaptation fame. Etc.
    Uses old villains: Why are we focusing on [character that hasn't appeared as a Major antagonist in years] is this his book now? Or. Just pandering to nostalgia. Or. This is the problem with modern comics. No creativity. Etc.

Someone will always complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabs View Post
    As I see it the problem is that writers cannot hope to please everyone.

Writer:
    Creates new villains: We have good under used villains. Why are you doing this? Or. F***ing Mary Sues. Or. Just chasing that adaptation fame. Etc.
    Uses old villains: Why are we focusing on [character that hasn't appeared as a Major antagonist in years] is this his book now? Or. Just pandering to nostalgia. Or. This is the problem with modern comics. No creativity. Etc.

Someone will always complain.
    Mmm every reader has different expectations when it comes to the villains. Talking about how great spider-man’s villain gallery is can be a disservice. To many green goblins or Norman in general will wear thin. Octopus has his limits too. Jackal is in many ways over and done. Kraven and Harry had two very fufilling ends to their arcs. I was done with them. Part of what made them great is how they left the series. You can’t build up a character from its final story just because it is good. Part of why it is good and that character is remembered fondly is because their story is over.

Spider-Man man can keep recycling it’s big villains if new ones are introduced in between. How many octopus stories do we want in say a five year period? For me perhaps two at most.

With to many issues newer characters become more and more important. The problem is of course they can’t all be great and even mediocre wears thin because we are older. The average reader has experienced to much and knows the tricks, the ins and outs in a way we didn’t use to. Hell when I was a kid I had to chase down comics, books or good tv. Now it’s there with a click away. It will continue to be harder and harder to keep us entertained.

Astonishing Member

Pretty sure I'm not the only one mad for how Marvel tricked us with the cover from issue #2. JUST HOW LONG ARE WE HAVE TO WAIT FOR A DAMN EXPLANATION?!!!!!!

By the way, for what I read on the latest solicitations, do you think the thing that Spidey and Wolverine have to face is the plot involving Moira and MJ? Because if Wolverine tries to hurt MJ, something tells me Spider-Man is going to go berserk.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Mmm every reader has different expectations when it comes to the villains. Talking about how great spider-man’s villain gallery is can be a disservice. To many green goblins or Norman in general will wear thin. Octopus has his limits too. Jackal is in many ways over and done. Kraven and Harry had two very fufilling ends to their arcs. I was done with them. Part of what made them great is how they left the series. You can’t build up a character from its final story just because it is good. Part of why it is good and that character is remembered fondly is because their story is over.

Spider-Man man can keep recycling it’s big villains if new ones are introduced in between. How many octopus stories do we want in say a five year period? For me perhaps two at most.

With to many issues newer characters become more and more important. The problem is of course they can’t all be great and even mediocre wears thin because we are older. The average reader has experienced to much and knows the tricks, the ins and outs in a way we didn’t use to. Hell when I was a kid I had to chase down comics, books or good tv. Now it’s there with a click away. It will continue to be harder and harder to keep us entertained.
    I disagree with some of this on principle. I agree oversaturation of villains as antagonists can be a problem and that it's harder to keep things fresh in a long-running series. Well-read comics readers will notice repeated trends. A solution for that is developing the backstories, personalities, daily lives, etc, for more of Spider-man's current villains so they're more three-dimensional while also bringing in new villains to provide new threats and challenges. Antagonists as punchable action figures that say a few catchy word phrases is boring as is relying completely on the character work of prior writers to keep them interesting. If big characters do appear, it shouldn't always be as villains. That way, the audience is still asking which side of the character they'll meet this time: a minor cast member or an antagonist.

I do not agree Harry Lyman needed to die. Maybe Kraven didn't either. Harry's story was worthy of telling and just needed some fine-tuning to suit the character. There are already people who think Peter should retire permanently because Miles Morales has more to offer. Killing a supporting cast member limits Peter's world and the more people you remove, the potential stories you can tell with Peter Parker that aren't a crossover drops with them. Peter Parker was introduced with a large cast of civilian characters. Spider-Man's creators didn't intend Peter's life to be limited to superheroing and reacting to the same. Rolling back on deaths is one thing, retcons stating the characters never returned is another. It's a vote of no confidence in the character and any future writers who might make the concept work in favor of nostalgia from readers who might not have even read those stories. Harry's for instance, can no longer be read the same.