Page 100 of 271 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104110150200 ... LastLast
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 4059

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Peter and MJ have two placements on "8 harsh realities facing Spider-Man fans"

Number Eight

Number Two

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-spider-ma...tes-downsides/
    A CBR article where the writer knows what he's talking about? That's new.

Come to think of it, I believe Spencer attempted to allude to the MJ from BND onwards and throughout Slott's run as having been a different character altogether via that "demonic" MJ that attacked Strange and the Order of the Web during their trip to Peter's domain in the astral plane. That angle got dropped after Last Remains, but since it happened, and given the jarring 180 MJ made to reconcile with Peter in the first place in Spencer's run, I think there was meant to be something more to this.
    If that was the intention, it was dropped in Last Remains itself, 'cause the astral plane showed exaggerations of the gunman who shot aunt May and Fisk himself too, MJ was not exclusive in that place, and while the demonic MJ is the one who talks the most, all she can say is "The answer is yes".

So yeah, doubt it's anything of the like, just a representation that Back in Black and OMD were a particularly fucked up era in his mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    If that was the intention, it was dropped in Last Remains itself, 'cause the astral plane showed exaggerations of the gunman who shot aunt May and Fisk himself too, MJ was not exclusive in that place, and while the demonic MJ is the one who talks the most, all she can say is "The answer is yes".
    Yeah, her stuck on loop with the deal she struck with Mephisto and then persuaded Peter into accepting it. I always took that to mean that part of MJ that belonged to Mephisto influenced a lot of her behaviour post-OMD and again now with Wells. Something caused her 180 and I'm sure it would have been connected to briefly overcoming whatever that was supposed to be.

That's probably why Wells relied on another supernatural being to initiate these new status quo changes with Peter and MJ, he knew we could just blame gods on messing with their love again than any realistic or organic reason.

So yeah, doubt it's anything of the like, just a representation that Back in Black and OMD were a particularly fucked up era in his mind.
    Yes, pretty much vague continuity bait all going on, something we the readers know the context of, but not the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    This is way more cynical than I expected from CBR.
    They've been more critical of Marvel as of late (I mean, going by the few times that I've actually checked the front page). They no longer have a Marvel EiC column like Cup of Joe or the Alonso one either, right?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Peter and MJ have two placements on "8 harsh realities facing Spider-Man fans"

Number Eight

Number Two

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-spider-ma...tes-downsides/
    This is way more cynical than I expected from CBR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    They've been more critical of Marvel as of late (I mean, going by the few times that I've actually checked the front page). They no longer have a Marvel EiC column like Cup of Joe or the Alonso one either, right?
    The thing that galls me is the hypocrisy and double standards with Marvel's leadership. They let damn near every other major character in the setting advance or change their status quo on a more permanent basis, but Spider-Man constantly gets reverted to what the people in charge think his default should be and never gets to keep any of the growth, advancement, or progress that other Marvel heroes (and anti-heroes, and even villains) have been able to enjoy over the years. I mean, for all the talk about how change and progress are good things for the overall Marvel enterprise and the past shouldn't be treated as sacred ground upon which no trespassing or excavation can be permitted, somehow, that logic never applies to Spider-Man. It's like none of them ever heard Spider-Man's words after meeting Stan Lee and surprising him with how much he'd grown over his experiences by the 90s animated series finale: "Well, Stan, we all have to grow up sometime, I suppose. Even us characters of fiction." Letting (or making) the character stagnate so current leadership can cling to a hollow vestige of past glories is the exact opposite of that.

That said, we made it to 100 pages. Hooray for Mary Jane Watson(-Parker) and those who appreciate her in this thread.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Yeah, her stuck on loop with the deal she struck with Mephisto and then persuaded Peter into accepting it. I always took that to mean that part of MJ that belonged to Mephisto influenced a lot of her behaviour post-OMD and again now with Wells. Something caused her 180 and I'm sure it would have been connected to briefly overcoming whatever that was supposed to be.

That's probably why Wells relied on another supernatural being to initiate these new status quo changes with Peter and MJ, he knew we could just blame gods on messing with their love again than any realistic or organic reason.
    I don't see how a place that represents Spidey's mind is gonna have a hint of what's up with MJ, specially considering how it's quickly ignored in Last Remains itself with not even Kindred making a comment about it.

Yes, pretty much vague continuity bait all going on, something we the readers know the context of, but not the characters.
    Yeah it's why I didn't care about that issue much, it has One More Bait, but since only characters who don't know jack **** of that period went to his astral plane or whatever, they can only comment how weird it is and then immediately get wrecked by Sin Eater.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    The thing that galls me is the hypocrisy and double standards with Marvel's leadership. They let damn near every other major character in the setting advance or change their status quo on a more permanent basis, but Spider-Man constantly gets reverted to what the people in charge think his default should be and never gets to keep any of the growth, advancement, or progress that other Marvel heroes (and anti-heroes, and even villains) have been able to enjoy over the years. I mean, for all the talk about how change and progress are good things for the overall Marvel enterprise and the past shouldn't be treated as sacred ground upon which no trespassing or excavation can be permitted, somehow, that logic never applies to Spider-Man. It's like none of them ever heard Spider-Man's words after meeting Stan Lee and surprising him with how much he'd grown over his experiences by the 90s animated series finale: "Well, Stan, we all have to grow up sometime, I suppose. Even us characters of fiction." Letting (or making) the character stagnate so current leadership can cling to a hollow vestige of past glories is the exact opposite of that.
    I do wonder if **** might improve once people like Quesada and Brevort leave, or if it'll get worse.

Like I'm not saying Spidey necessarily needs the marriage back, or even be with MJ, but **** like the mystery box bullshit that Wells just did and Spidey's characterization, that kind of nonsense is better off not happening anymore.

That said, we made it to 100 pages. Hooray for Mary Jane Watson(-Parker) and those who appreciate her in this thread.
    Well in the last, 50 pages or so we only got this much movement thanks to Moira, maybe we should thank her for that .

Well, her and the failed abortions from ASM#1 vol 6, but they're not as goofy.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 05-16-2022 at 08:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    I don't see how a place that represents Spidey's mind is gonna have a hint of what's up with MJ
    You could say this particular space represents Mary Jane also. As in, if she ever took a step into it, it'd lead her to the same place and truly demonstrate her 'unbreakable' link to Peter. The place wasn't even 'fixed' up after Last Remains or the conclusion of Spencer's run, which again can allude to how easy it is to 'break' Peter and MJ's love no matter how much it's tided on their end at any point.

Spectacular Member

Superhero love interests are the real MVPs. I can't imagine putting up with half as much as they do for the sake of a relationship.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tabs View Post
    I can't imagine putting up with half as much as they do for the sake of a relationship.
    Given the sheer number of iconic love interests in Marvel who no longer support their soul mates, neither can they.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tabs View Post
    Superhero love interests are the real MVPs. I can't imagine putting up with half as much as they do for the sake of a relationship.
    Pre-OMD MJ was the MVP

BND MJ is kinda a terrible person

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Pre-OMD MJ was the MVP

I'd say more that MJ suffers under an editorial department that is so lacking in any original ideas that they inevitably try to recapture what they see as past success and end up making the franchise feel tired and dated.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Pre-OMD MJ was the MVP

MC2 MJ is the GOAT

MC2 MJ is the GOAT
    Mayday's parents are interesting because they hover between being completely supportive and trying to get Mayday to stop being a superhero. It's such a unique dynamic I'm surprised we haven't seen more creators trying to replicate it with other characters.

BANNED

Mayday's parents are interesting because they hover between being completely supportive and trying to get Mayday to stop being a superhero.
    A bit like how MJ often see-sawed in the 90s too. Most times supportive, but wanting Peter to put time into her and their social life, and getting upset when it was a bit much. MJ at one point does forbid Mayday to be Spider-Girl, but when Mayday goes and does it anyway, MJ eventually decides to let her make her own decision and apologises.

The Loves, Foes, and family of Spider-Man .