Page 136 of 271 FirstFirst ... 3686126132133134135136137138139140146186236 ... LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,040 of 4059

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    Cute is cute .

BANNED

Eminem dropping MJ, Spidey and 'marriage-Juana' references in his new track

1:26 through to 1:36

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Eminem dropping MJ, Spidey and 'marriage-Juana' references in his new track

1:26 through to 1:36
    Ha, good one.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Marvel’s not-so-hidden disdain for Mary Jane goes back decades. Anyone remember this storyline?

https://www.cbr.com/mary-jane-died-m...er-man-marvel/

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Marvel’s not-so-hidden disdain for Mary Jane goes back decades. Anyone remember this storyline?

Alas, I do. I was 13-14 at the time, when I was a bit naiver on how mainstream superhero comics work compared to nowadays. I honestly thought Mary Jane was really dead.

That's not even the earliest case, Clone Saga itself was eventually made into an attempt to have a single Spidey, and there were plans to kill her off or have her divorce Spidey after a miscarriage.

Not to mention random times her characterization is changed to be a bitch to look unlikeable, like it happened in Maximum Carnage.

As good as the marriage was a lot of the times, editorial and some writers like Stern and Conway didn't like it, OMD was just the one time the attempt to get rid of the marriage stuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    That's not even the earliest case, Clone Saga itself was eventually made into an attempt to have a single Spidey, and there were plans to kill her off or have her divorce Spidey after a miscarriage.

Not to mention random times her characterization is changed to be a bitch to look unlikeable, like it happened in Maximum Carnage.

As good as the marriage was a lot of the times, editorial and some writers like Stern and Conway didn't like it, OMD was just the one time the attempt to get rid of the marriage stuck.
    If it helps, the article did mention the Clone Saga at the beginning as Marvel's first attempt at undoing the marriage (albeit by invalidating the Peter Parker that got married to Mary Jane Watson in the first place), and specifically named this arc as the second attempt at undoing the marriage.

Astonishing Member

I forget if the stalker was always a back door, or if the Spidey office ever intended her death to be permanent. It was handled so poorly I can’t believe they ever thought it would stick. And the stalker resolution was so random and rushed. “Whoop, my part is done… time to wander off and blow up, I guess.” Current Spidey isn’t that good, but gosh that Mackie/Byrne run was unreadable for the most part.

I forget if the stalker was always a back door, or if the Spidey office ever intended her death to be permanent. It was handled so poorly I can’t believe they ever thought it would stick. And the stalker resolution was so random and rushed. “Whoop, my part is done… time to wander off and blow up, I guess.” Current Spidey isn’t that good, but gosh that Mackie/Byrne run was unreadable for the most part.
    Yeah . . .

I doubt the stalker himself was, since there was no indication he had powers before and was just some stalker.

The intention was for MJ to be killed, and we even got everyone else basically telling Spidey "Hey man, you can't keep thinking about your wife who died 5 minutes ago, go outside and crush puss!", so the intention was obvious, but even then, it did have a backdoor with a door from the plane being open:

(ASM#13 vol 2).

You can even see the door falling off, and the second page still makes it clear it's open, so, they were about 90% sure they were gonna keep MJ dead, and the remaining 10% was that backdoor lol.

If I remember correctly, Byrne himself was against doing this, not because he liked the marriage, but because it'd make Spidey into a widower, which ages him up anyways, and maybe he made that backdoor without Marvel being aware, and if so, it could explain why the backdoor itself wasn't used, since MJ wasn't even in the plane:

(ASM#29 vol 2).

I doubt the stalker himself was, since there was no indication he had powers before and was just some stalker.

The intention was for MJ to be killed, and we even got everyone else basically telling Spidey "Hey man, you can't keep thinking about your wife who died 5 minutes ago, go outside and crush puss!", so the intention was obvious, but even then, it did have a backdoor with a door from the plane being open:

(ASM#13 vol 2).

You can even see the door falling off, and the second page still makes it clear it's open, so, they were about 90% sure they were gonna keep MJ dead, and the remaining 10% was that backdoor lol.

If I remember correctly, Byrne himself was against doing this, not because he liked the marriage, but because it'd make Spidey into a widower, which ages him up anyways, and maybe he made that backdoor without Marvel being aware, and if so, it could explain why the backdoor itself wasn't used, since MJ wasn't even in the plane:

(ASM#29 vol 2).
    Didn't the stalker ultimately want to somehow claim Peter's life for his own?

Astonishing Member

(ASM#13 vol 2).

(ASM#29 vol 2).

Some observations:

(1) Story and art, “the Hon. (honorable) John Byrne” I forgot what a raging egomaniac he was around this time.

(2) Yeah, the whole thing with Randy trying to get Peter laid with Gwen’s black haired doppelgänger/cousin Jill, was gross. I’m glad that character is forgotten. It is ironic that roommate Randy would return as a status quo in recent years. Was Spencer aware of that, or was it just a coincidence?

(3) dumb story, but I forgot how nice Lee Weeks’ art was (much better than Byrne’s during this period). Shame he’s kinda faded into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Didn't the stalker ultimately want to somehow claim Peter's life for his own?
    Yeah, their minds were connected and he wanted to become Spidey basically.

He was also randomly revealed to be a precog, and said Spidey would die in a few minutes, only stalker guy died instead.

It was weird lol.

Some observations:

(1) Story and art, “the Hon. (honorable) John Byrne” I forgot what a raging egomaniac he was around this time.
    Isn't he still one? Lol.

(2) Yeah, the whole thing with Randy trying to get Peter laid with Gwen’s black haired doppelgänger/cousin Jill, was gross. I’m glad that character is forgotten.
    I'm not sure just Randy tried that, from what I remember, Jill herself made the attempt regardless of what Randy thought too.

In ASM#28 vol 2 though, he did try to get Peter with some random chick with a criminal record, and he knew those things and decided to not tell Peter, really makes him dating Janice more believable lol:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...54/unknown.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...80/unknown.png

It is ironic that roommate Randy would return as a status quo in recent years. Was Spencer aware of that, or was it just a coincidence?
    He likely was aware, I remember hearing that ASM is a comic he read everything of, and with the number callbacks his run has, I can believe that.

(3) dumb story, but I forgot how nice Lee Weeks’ art was (much better than Byrne’s during this period). Shame he’s kinda faded into obscurity.
    Not a fan how he draws MJ's face, but it's still mostly good yeah.

Also checked out his wikipedia page and it says he drew Superman: Lois and Clark, the art in that comic was good too.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 06-24-2022 at 07:16 PM.