Page 234 of 271 FirstFirst ... 134184224230231232233234235236237238244 ... LastLast
Results 3,496 to 3,510 of 4059
    Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Letters page also has a dig about marriage

"A Spider-Wedding? Haven't you heard? We hate all marriage"
    You'd think the guy had been left standing at the altar with a note that said "It's not me, it's you Nick" or something.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    You'd think the guy had been left standing at the altar with a note that said "It's not me, it's you Nick" or something.
    The current editorial would totally go for the story beat that MJ jilted him .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The current editorial would totally go for the story beat that MJ jilted him .
    I don't like the current editorial, especially after what just happened in Genis-Vell: Captain Marvel #5. spoilers:
    Marlo became the new Mistress Death because Death was "tired" of being Death, so now she and Rick can't be together anymore. Yeah, not happy.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by CaptainUniverse; 11-23-2022 at 12:04 PM.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Letters page also has a dig about marriage

"A Spider-Wedding? Haven't you heard? We hate all marriage"
    I'm sure it's meant as a joke, but when your stories are full of misogyny and denying women can and should be equal emotional partners with male heroes coded as heterosexual, maybe don't lean on that in the letters page as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    I'd have gone with Fantine, unless she sees Fantine as Gayle.
    Nah. MJ would never let a man destroy her sense of self worth like Fantine, whose being was tied up in a fantasy of having a man take care of her. At least, not the MJ from 1966-2007. Eponine suffers from unrequited love, but that doesn't stop her from being on the barricades. At least, the musical Eponine. The book Epinone is a bit more manipulative and self serving.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 11-23-2022 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    Nah. MJ would never let a man destroy her sense of self worth like Fantine, whose being was tied up in a fantasy of having a man take care of her. At least, not the MJ from 1966-2007. Eponine suffers from unrequited love, but that doesn't stop her from being on the barricades. At least, the musical Eponine. The book Epinone is a bit more manipulative and self serving.
    Fantine DOES have the most iconic musical number in the show, though! I bet MJ has dreamed of getting to belt it out on stage.
    harryosborn.net -Me rereading every single comic that has Harry Osborn in it, and also writing some articles.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PanicPixieDreamGirl View Post
    Fantine DOES have the most iconic musical number in the show, though! I bet MJ has dreamed of getting to belt it out on stage.
    That number did win Anne Hathaway an Oscar, so I can certainly see MJ wanting to play Fantine!

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    Nah. MJ would never let a man destroy her sense of self worth like Fantine, whose being was tied up in a fantasy of having a man take care of her.
    Fantine doesn't think twice about the man once she realises he's gone for good. Fantine in the book at least is a fighter. She doesn't die because she has no sense of self-worth; she dies because society and fate are against her. I don't say she's MJ's favourite because MJ associates herself with her, but she may well associate Fantine with her mother (or with Gayle, though her relationship with Gayle is more fraught.) Also, like you say (x-posted) Fantine is the best female part in the musical.
    Last edited by Daibhidh; 11-23-2022 at 03:20 PM. Reason: include response to x-post.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    Fantine doesn't think twice about the man once she realises he's gone for good. Fantine in the book at least is a fighter. She doesn't die because she has no sense of self-worth; she dies because society and fate are against her. I don't say she's MJ's favourite because MJ associates herself with her, but she may well associate Fantine with her mother (or with Gayle, though her relationship with Gayle is more fraught.) Also, like you say (x-posted) Fantine is the best female part in the musical.
    Very good points.

And can I say this convo is making my online week!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    I don't like the current editorial, especially after what just happened in Genis-Vell: Captain Marvel #5. spoilers:
    Marlo became the new Mistress Death because Death was "tired" of being Death, so now she and Rick can't be together anymore. Yeah, not happy.
    end of spoilers
    Dang, that does suck .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Dang, that does suck .
    It really does, I don't like it one bit, it feels wrong. It...it feels like spoilers:
    One More Day
    end of spoilers all over again.

Ok so WTf is going on with the Spider books?

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Ok so WTf is going on with the Spider books?
    We're in the middle of a bad run.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    We're in the middle of a bad run.
    Oh Christ. With what's happening to Ben right now I'm just not sure if this run is for me

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Oh Christ. With what's happening to Ben right now I'm just not sure if this run is for me
    I wonder who this run is actually for.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I wonder who this run is actually for.
    Probably the BND crowd/people who haven't read a lot of comics.