Page 20 of 202 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070120 ... LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That seems reasonable, but likewise hard to get right...
    Yup, that's why it's such a big ask. Making a movie or TV show that works is an extraordinarily difficult thing to pull off. There are so many things that can go wrong, from the studio, to the script, to the director and actors & crew. If anything is off on any one of those levels, you've got something that doesn't really work.

The Green Lantern movie is a perfect example of that. I have no doubt that Warner Bros. was 100% supportive of that movie, as evidenced by the enormous budget it was given, but because the producers and director weren't on the same page, the final product came out lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanS View Post
    Add in there are a few different takes on Hal over the years, I have my doubts everyone would agree on any one of them. To be fair this is FAR from unique to him in the world of ongoing characters.
    Have there really been that many takes on Hal? I dunno about that. While certain elements of his personality have been turned up or down depending upon the story being told, I'd say the character has been pretty consistent for the vast majority of his history.

The only real outliers were the whole Parallax arc, which Johns explained away via some clever retconning, and O'Neil's reconceptualization of Hal as guy blindly loyal to the establishment, but even that was resolved by the end of the Hard Travelling Heroes arc.

Aside from that, I'd say Hal's persona as a cocksure pilot turned superhero space cop with relationship problems hasn't really changed much since Broome & Kane created him with Shwartz.

Outside of the early New-52 "frat boy" thing, the modern-day version of Hal has been pretty consistent across the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I'd be fine with that. If Jason Momoa is 43 and can still play Aquaman, I'm fine with a 40 something year old playing Hal Jordan. But someone between 55 and 60? Makes no sense.
    Unless he made himself younger with all his Morrison multiverse energy/becoming living willpower shenangians
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Adam Strange's sleeveless look!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Anyone who needs to understand Hal's appeal, I'd just point to GL:TAS.
    I wish DC would watch GLTAS.

When it comes to animation the comic side doesn't seem to take inspiration from anything other than the DCAU. Which frankly isn't a bad thing to take inspiration from. But yeah if they did watch GLTAS, then at least Aya and Razer would've been introduced in the comics long ago.

When it comes to animation the comic side doesn't seem to take inspiration from anything other than the DCAU. Which frankly isn't a bad thing to take inspiration from. But yeah if they did watch GLTAS, then at least Aya and Razer would've been introduced in the comics long ago.
    I'm a little shocked that Aya and Razer haven't made the jump to comics yet. It feels like such an obvious move that could potentially pull in new readers. Those characters are adored by my students.

I guess now that they moved away from the Emotional Spectrum there's no point to bring them in anyway.

I guess now that they moved away from the Emotional Spectrum there's no point to bring them in anyway.
    Yeah, the other Corps. are barely around as is and I don't think they would really do much with them at this point.

Like, I love to see them but integrating media characters into the comics is never a sure bet.

For every Harley you have more cases like Diggle, Felicity Smoak, or the entire Agents of SHIELD cast.

I think that if they wanted to do a Red Lantern story it would make sense to bring in Razer to show that, you know, this ain't just another Red Lantern story. This is something new and possibly exciting.

Astonishing Member

Maybe it's a mistake or he'll have the mask on the finished artwork, but maskless look does suit him.
    I feel different. I feel Hal's mask is a big contibutor to Hal's iconic look.

I'm re-reading some parts of Morrison's run and at the same time reading some articles on the run that I missed previously. And it is kinda funny to see people speculating about where things will be going and being completely wrong. Funniest thing so far was probably Ritesh (who otherwise does bring up lots of cool details to the front) thinking that introduction of Superwatch (that not-Superman squad that got blown up by Anti-Man in first season) is a big deal when only Hyperman ended up being relevant, and for exact opposite reasons.

Edit: there is also lots of foreshadowing that I wonder at what point Morrison had mapped out Season 2. For example, in issue 10 on that fantasy alien planet there is one panel that focuses on hourglass and it is not clear at all why that matters. But then in final, I think, issue of Season 2 we have that big page with Hal turning the hourglass and bringing progress to the planet.
    Last edited by HsssH; 01-30-2022 at 11:13 AM.