Page 101 of 202 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 3027
    Incredible Member

It's pretty much an asspull though (admittedly, a pretty fun one), basically because one of Hal's most famous stories is about him being possessed by an Entity which should be anathema to GL rings and nobody tried anything like that.

Also loved that Waid felt the need to point out the rings weakness to yellow wouldn't work only to have Batman protect himself with... Basically a yellow shield with technospeak.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    So uh…has Hal’s ring ever done that fusion thing before? If you don’t know what I’m talking about look at todays issue of Superman/Batman by mark waid
    I haven't read the issue, but I'm guessing you mean Superman and Batman combine into one being?

On "Superfriends" Hal and Superman combined into one body.(I'm pretty sure Hal used the ring to do it)

Whatever this is for, hope Shaner posts the full finished piece soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Whatever this is for, hope Shaner posts the full finished piece soon.

Considering the characters involved...Bronze Age GLC collection?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Considering the characters involved...Bronze Age GLC collection?
    When I saw Katma that's what I thought too, but Hal, Guy and John have their current costumes. And is that Kyle in background behind Hal and Kilowog.

Kind of felt like Waid was going to the Geoff Johns school of "how to steal a GL's ring again" but at least he made sure to point out that Hal's willpower was compromised due to his possession so if he was in control they would hardly be able to pull that off.

Now how were they able to actually use his ring is a different story since the rings are supposed to choose their wielder and not everyone should just take it and start using it like that, but I guess I'll let that slide. And I guess I'm starting to see what people mean about Mora's "sexy art". lol
    Dude Waid had Batman say that neither he nor Superman can outwill Hal one on one and they had to team up to do it. Plus Hal was kicking Supes ass, I’d say he came out looking pretty damn good honestly.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Dude Waid had Batman say that neither he nor Superman can outwill Hal one on one and they had to team up to do it. Plus Hal was kicking Supes ass, I’d say he came out looking pretty damn good honestly.
    That's why I made sure to point out them saying he has the strongest willpower on Earth when he's being himself and not possessed.
    Last edited by Johnny; 06-21-2022 at 01:34 PM.

When I saw Katma that's what I thought too, but Hal, Guy and John have their current costumes. And is that Kyle in background behind Hal and Kilowog.
    I don't see how. It looks like a standard GL uniform, no crab mask and even when he wore something that was close to the standard uni, it still didn't look like that.

Considering Katma's there and John is in his current uniform (odd to not see them together), I don't think this is any specific time period.

I don't think that's Kyle. They've kind of got elf ears going on.

Fantastic Member

Now how were they able to actually use his ring is a different story since the rings are supposed to choose their wielder and not everyone should just take it and start using it like that, but I guess I'll let that slide.
    Unless there's been a retcon... not true.

Alan's ring if you had any evil in you and you put it on it would burn you alive.

Kyle's ring was keyed to his DNA, so no one else could use it as part of DC's "there is only ONE GL" thing. (As part of that it also couldn't make duplicates of itself) Hal also could use it since it was made of the remints of his ring and in a story set in the future Kyle's descendants because she had Kyle's DNA in her. But that was it.

Hal's ring (or rings, we'll get to that) was stolen and used by other people all the damn time. Hector Hammon used a copy of the ring given to Tom in GL V2 #5, in GL V2 #11 Hal's ring falls out of a hole in his pocket (he keeps it in there when not GL, because of this story he starts wearing it all the time but keeps it invisible when not GL) and a kid finds it and uses it. In GL V2 #14 a mix-up has Jim with the ring for a bit and he can use it. In GL V2 #18 Hal and tom place the ring out in a forest and experiment how far away Hal can be and still use it. After a landslide traps them in a cave for a bit a man name Bill Baggett found the ring and used the it for crime. Bill shows up two more times both times tapping into the power of the ring. Hammond got used it a few times, Sonar gets it at one point in the semi-famous Three-part Polaris story opening Wolfman's run he gets and uses the ring... and then there's the fact that Hal's had a few rings since they didn't start playing up the connection of the ring to its user till the Engleheart run and even that was like... a page or two.

In GL V2 #37 Evil Star makes his first appearance... and steals and uses the ring. During the final fight with Hal, he explodes the ring. The Guardians give Hal a replacement ring at the end of the adventure. Then in GL V2 #44, we get the second fight with Evil Star. Once again he easily steals the Power Ring at the start of their fight and blows it up. BUT Hal has hidden a second power ring on Oa before he faced off with Evil Star. Evil Star blows that one up too. the Guardians use the leftover pieces of the two blown-up rings to make another new ring for Hal.

Finally,* in GL V2 #90 the Guardians give all the GLC brand new power rings. Mostly to justify the redesign from the classic disc design to a new one by Mike Grell, made to look like GL symbol that wraps around the finger.

This in the hand of other artists evolves fully into looking like the GL symbol wrapping around the finger, the chunky style ring, or being the GL symbol on top of the band. This would be Hal's ring from then on* though Engleheart would say it was the same ring that Abin Sur gave to Hal and most writers since then have rolled with it.

*There is arguably one more. Well, artists would occasionally use the classic disk shape ring for Hal and it would get past editorial from time to time from 1976 with V2 #90 onwards the offical stance is Hal ring was shaped like the GL icon. They even redrew the ring to make it that on Gil Kanes art for the book since he ALWAYS drew the disk-shaped ring. Officially the transition back to the disk-shaped ring for Hal happened in Action Comics Weekly 365 when he took Lord Malvolio's ring, but this might not be canonical at this point.

Extraordinary Member

I would love the art more if John & Kat were side by side.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I don't see how. It looks like a standard GL uniform, no crab mask and even when he wore something that was close to the standard uni, it still didn't look like that.

Considering Katma's there and John is in his current uniform (odd to not see them together), I don't think this is any specific time period.
    Very odd, indeed.

Astonishing Member

Kind of felt like Waid was going to the Geoff Johns school of "how to steal a GL's ring again" but at least he made sure to point out that Hal's willpower was compromised due to his possession so if he was in control they would hardly be able to pull that off.

Now how were they able to actually use his ring is a different story since the rings are supposed to choose their wielder and not everyone should just take it and start using it like that, but I guess I'll let that slide. And I guess I'm starting to see what people mean about Mora's "sexy art". lol
    The rings should have better security features, really.

Might be nothing, but in Flash/Aquaman Voidsong everyone asides of Flash/Aquaman are taken out by some aliens. We see Batman, WW, Superman and Manhuter, but we don't see Green Lantern. And Barry makes a point about how this should be a thing that GL deals with. GL is not named, but we know that it is "he" and since this looks to be featuring classic JL line-up I think it is very likely that GL is Hal.

And well, since aliens won and GL wasn't shown with the rest of the league I suspect that we are going to see another version of mind-controlled Hal being the bad guy.

It's not Hal.

Last edited by Johnny; 06-22-2022 at 07:34 AM.