Page 11 of 202 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MaxStirner_91 View Post
    So I just bought the TGL vol. 1 hardcover and there are some interesting tidbits in there. I was hoping it would also collect the various interviews where Morrison spoke about writing Hal but no such luck.

Attachment 117384Attachment 117385
    I liked the way Morrison described Hal's constructs. Reminded me of how Johns also described in the original Rebirth mini.

Morrison got a little too self-indulgent towards the end but when all is said and done they did a lot of good things with Hal.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Morrison got a little too self-indulgent towards the end but when all is said and done they did a lot of good things with Hal.
    Oh, definitely. As much as I loved Morrison & Sharp's TGL, the Season Two went so far up its own ass, it was hilarious. I was loving it, but I honestly didn't understand half of what was going on.

I think that's just what happens when creators basically get free reign. Initially S2 was going to be reduced but then DC gave Morrison and Sharp another 12 issues as originally planned and Morrison just decided to go balls to the wall only like they can. The book never really felt like it was beholden to the current DCU events anyway so it's not like the creative team had to make sure that Hal was portrayed in a certain way or doing certain things because it's not like he was featured anywhere else. And I think because of that S2 was what it was. Still I'd take a run that was up its own ass over what we have now, which is basically nothing.
    Last edited by Johnny; 01-16-2022 at 07:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Oh, definitely. As much as I loved Morrison & Sharp's TGL, the Season Two went so far up its own ass, it was hilarious. I was loving it, but I honestly didn't understand half of what was going on.
    Sounds like a Morrison comic.

Astonishing Member

I think Morrison's JLA was easier to read than TGL. Although I love both series.

I think that's just what happens when creators basically get free reign. Initially S2 was going to be reduced but then DC gave Morrison and Sharp another 12 issues as originally planned and Morrison just decided to go balls to the wall only like they can. The book never really felt like it was beholden to the current DCU events anyway so it's not like the creative team had to make sure that Hal was portrayed in a certain way or doing certain things because it's not like he was featured anywhere else. And I think because of that S2 was what it was. Still I'd take a run that was up its own ass over what we have now, which is basically nothing.
    I remember laughing at the news of TGL Season 2 getting expanded back to its original 12 issues days after Didio's firing, leaving it painfully obvious who's idea it was to truncate the season. That said, if it wasn't for Didio's Jedi Mind Tricks, we never would've gotten Morrison on either TGL or Superman & The Authority, so I ain't complaining

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Sounds like a Morrison comic.
    Hell, yeah. But that also makes Morrison comics ripe for re-reading, which is more than I can say for a lot of the comics I read.

Wish Kirkham did some interior work for GL too. Dude's insanely good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I remember laughing at the news of TGL Season 2 getting expanded back to its original 12 issues days after Didio's firing, leaving it painfully obvious who's idea it was to truncate the season. That said, if it wasn't for Didio's Jedi Mind Tricks, we never would've gotten Morrison on either TGL or Superman & The Authority, so I ain't complaining
    I wonder if that was due to scheduling more than due to any story reasons? New GL series basically had to launch one or two months later than other initial IF launches because TGL still had one or two issues left. I'd guess that if Didio was still in charge he would have launched entire 5G line same month instead of doing delayed launches like we got last year.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I wonder if that was due to scheduling more than due to any story reasons? New GL series basically had to launch one or two months later than other initial IF launches because TGL still had one or two issues left. I'd guess that if Didio was still in charge he would have launched entire 5G line same month instead of doing delayed launches like we got last year.
    Yeah, I think Didio wanted 5G to relaunch the DCU without any loose threads like we had with New 52 where Morrison's Batman Incorporated came out later featuring the Pre-Flashpoint continuity

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Hell, even unrelated to Hal, I'd take a book that is up its own ass but still has a very distinct identity and isn't beholden to what is going on in other books. Especially dumb event ones.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    I think Morrison's JLA was easier to read than TGL. Although I love both series.
    It's odd, I actually wasn't so hot on Morrison's JLA. Wasn't bad or anything just think I preferred Morrison's work I've read where they're narrowed in on one character.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Hell, even unrelated to Hal, I'd take a book that is up its own ass but still has a very distinct identity and isn't beholden to what is going on in other books. Especially dumb event ones.
    Agreed. Hal was at least spared from that during the GM run.