Page 156 of 202 FirstFirst ... 56106146152153154155156157158159160166 ... LastLast
Results 2,326 to 2,340 of 3027

And they say there's no such thing as a perfect woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    And they say there's no such thing as a perfect woman.

Should I know who this is...kind of like a live-action young Carol?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Should I know who this is...kind of like a live-action young Carol?
    Randomly saw this shirt on twitter and after I googled it, this lady was one of the first images that came up. Apparently this was actual DC merch and she was one of the models for it: https://www.etsy.com/listing/6395658...SS8TlxIWVMivaI

Nothing beats the "Hal Yeah!" shirt though. lol
    Last edited by Johnny; 09-26-2022 at 08:42 AM.

Astonishing Member

Good to know! From what I've seen, Hal taking care of his niece is a widely praised element of that run.
    For some reason I tbought it was a Vertigo title.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    For some reason I tbought it was a Vertigo title.
    Seems to have that kind of tone anyway.

Fantastic Member

Yeah, it is undeniably a very philosophic series that one might associate more the Vertigo than mainstream DC. Can get a bit new agey as well with the coming of a new golden age of philosophical enlightenment being a running theme. It also ends with more than a few loss ends as you might imagine. And there are details that very clearly do not line up with what Johns did. Given John is part of the 2000 era of writers that tend to ignore country when it gets in the way of their version of the shared universe.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I believe so. Wonder if this run is considered a must read for the character. Some seem to really like it, others don't seem to care that much for it but I don't really tend to see it being recommended that often.
    I adore the Spectre and Hal. It's not quite either, but I love the run.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanS View Post
    Yeah, it is undeniably a very philosophic series that one might associate more the Vertigo than mainstream DC. Can get a bit new agey as well with the coming of a new golden age of philosophical enlightenment being a running theme. It also ends with more than a few loss ends as you might imagine. And there are details that very clearly do not line up with what Johns did. Given John is part of the 2000 era of writers that tend to ignore country when it gets in the way of their version of the shared universe.
    Like what?

Fantastic Member

It is a deeply unique series that well I enjoy I'm also shocked it managed to last even three years given how it almost seems designed to be appealing to as small an audience as possible. For me, I try to take in all the takes on Hal when it comes to my view and understanding of the character and as a unique look, I would almost consider it a must. Need to do a more complete re-read through of it later but a quick one I would say DeMatties's got Hal's personality overall very well.

BUT... again most of its details were thrown out by Geoff Johns. If your starting place of 'who Hal is' is Geoff Johns I can see it being easier to bounce off it. It is a series that is deeply meditative on morality and redemption and what those are. Also and I think this might be a big one on why it's less recommended, it's never been reprinted. The only legal way to read it is long box diving. Now it's not a huge series There's a three-part 'Legends' mini-series that sets it up and then 27 issues. And a JLA issue before and after it. Along with the JSA stuff that sees Hal reverted back to Vengence by Geoff Johns as set up for Rebirth. But still, Long box diving is always a bit of a gamble on what you'll be able to find.
    Last edited by NathanS; 09-27-2022 at 10:40 PM.

Fantastic Member

Like what?
    There's a major antagonist Monsieur Stigmonus who we learn a bit about his past in a very 'this is set up for later way the issue before the last. Sinestro is clearly dead. He shows up for an arc right before the series ends. Also, we get a switch on which of Hal's brother's survived Coast City. Jack Jordan and his wife are alive, which makes sense since they were shown to have left Coast City in the 70's in Airwave's stories. Though as mentioned there he and his wife have twins, here they only have their daughter. And we meet Jim in Heaven and well...

He died in Coast City. Now Jack and his wife do die, at the hands of Monsieur Stigmonus. Also, Jack is an angry ******* and Jim a coward is all Geoff Johns. Also, it has a bit of an idea that started in ED that Geoff Johns threw away, that Martian was not always the best father, especially to Hal. Now it comes up... once I think in the series but it is there. And of curse most famously we have Helen just, disappearing once the series is over. Despite the last issue being Hal deciding to keep looking after her.

Edit: also I can't find where that pic with Evil Star is from, but it's not form Hal's Specter series and the Specter looks like the Jim variety not one of Hal's looks.
    Last edited by NathanS; 09-27-2022 at 11:33 PM.

About Hal in Superman: Space Age #2
    spoilers:
    Aside from the indignity of Hal being depicted with white boots, he gets killed by Brainiac like a chump. He wasn't portrayed poorly leading up to that - probably less out of character than Barry, but the League was mostly glorified extras (except Batman of course) They cleverly only have a ringed hand on the cover of #3. I presume it'll be John, but who knows?
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 09-28-2022 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    So.... about Superman: Space Age #2
    spoilers:
    Aside from the indignity of Hal being depicted with white boots, he gets killed by Brainiac like a chump. He wasn't portrayed poorly leading up to that - probably less out of character than Barry, but the League was mostly glorified extras (except Batman of course) They cleverly only have a ringed hand on the cover of #3. I presume it'll be John, but who knows?
    end of spoilers
    Welp, that's a bummer .

It is interesting that even a portrayal of Hal that doesn't really feel out of character and doesn't treat him like a joke, still takes him out like a chump. If they just wanted to show a different GL in the final issue, surely there was a better way to go about it than this.

It is interesting that even a portrayal of Hal that doesn't really feel out of character and doesn't treat him like a joke, still takes him out like a chump. If they just wanted to show a different GL in the final issue, surely there was a better way to go about it than this.
    It's like somebody always has to be a chump...

It's like somebody always has to be a chump...
    Yeah but it's almost always the same character who ends up being the chump. Though I guess Barry has been sort of chumped in recent memory too.