Page 188 of 202 FirstFirst ... 88138178184185186187188189190191192198 ... LastLast
Results 2,806 to 2,820 of 3027

Morrison never intended to stick around for too long and had to be convinced to come back for the second season. That book was always going to be their swan song from mainstream comics, so GM certainly did not intend to write Green Lantern for 5 years or whatever no matter how the sales turned out. Then all the shenanigans after the change of management burned them out even further if I remember correctly from their Substack entries.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    I'm going to give Morrison's run another go when it comes out in tbp.

Although I enjoyed the concept of a vampire planet, (I think sub consciously, part of me was concerned with the whole Blackstar uniform, wondering if this was going to be a way to rotate Hal out of being a GL)

My main issue is that it was philosophically dense or wordy for a comic book. I read enough philosophy in my spare time, that I like my comics to be fun brain candy.

If I were to draw a classic rock analogy; Geoff Johns's GL is like early AC/DC (easy to get into 4/4 rock) while Grant Morrison's writing is like listening to Rush (off time signatures, you have to sit and let it sit in until you fully appreciate it)

I think it's a shame Morrison left so early, I wonder if he would have been able to keep the sales of GL consistently high, and....I wonder if there is any chance he'll come back to finish what he started?
    I'd say that was a pretty definitive conclusion. Morrison & Sharp left it all on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Is there something about Geoff Johns' run that you liked.
    He almost always had stellar art, even if some of the artists were Trumptards before things went Trumptarded.

Guess that's what midlife crisis can do to you. I looked up that Van Sciver was 30 when he drew Rebirth for Johns and didn't seem to have a reputation of being problematic at the time. Then it was a decade or so after the fact that he went nuts during the US election. Watch your blood pressure folks, can cost you everything.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

When it comes to creators, don't get too hung about them being terrible people. Sadly talent and moral character are not equivalent.

Immortal Hulk has among the best art in the industry and its artist Joe Bennet is the Brazilian's equivalent of a Trumpist...... **** he's the Brazilian equivalent of Sciver why not.

Its just someone you gotta jive with, you can't control it.

Morrison never intended to stick around for too long and had to be convinced to come back for the second season. That book was always going to be their swan song from mainstream comics, so GM certainly did not intend to write Green Lantern for 5 years or whatever no matter how the sales turned out. Then all the shenanigans after the change of management burned them out even further if I remember correctly from their Substack entries.
    That honestly makes me glad. I always thought Morrison's run was canceled early so its nice to know they ended with the length they wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Okay, I guess New 52 animated Hal was kind of a lot of that...
    The folks who made those New 52 movies clearly didn't care much about the character to say the least. They used him because DC likely mandated them to use him at the time, and Geoff Johns' moronic depiction of him in the New 52 JL only made it easier for them to give him that portrayal. All they did is turn him into a meme material for idiot twitter stans to still use against him all those years later. At the time I thought at least something is better than nothing or worse. And then we saw what happened to him the minute reboot time came along. From now on I think it's fair to presume that what you can expect for Hal on the animated/outside media front is either to be dead or evil or an unlikable secondary character, or usually to not even be acknowledged.
    Last edited by Johnny; 12-05-2022 at 06:03 AM.

BANNED

I think it's a shame Morrison left so early, I wonder if he would have been able to keep the sales of GL consistently high, and....I wonder if there is any chance he'll come back to finish what he started?
    I don't think so, because I don't think the sales were especially high. The book seemed like something from Metal hurlant, and that could either be good or bad depending on one's tastes. I don't think the readers in general at the time responded all that well to it, though. Of course, some people love it, but from what I've seen consensus seems to be that the second season is especially off the rails.

I wasn't enthusiastic about the comic, but I appreciate the attempt to do something tonally completely different from what Geoff Johns did because I think Green Lantern needed that at the time. Though, I still don't think Green Lantern has really found its footing since. It's just gotten worse.
    Last edited by Proto Man; 12-05-2022 at 06:37 AM.

My main issue is that it was philosophically dense or wordy for a comic book. I read enough philosophy in my spare time, that I like my comics to be fun brain candy.
    I like a good balance. Morrison's "Doom Patrol" hit the right notes for me in that way. His "Animal Man" was about the Big Ideas, but it was balanced by Buddy's humanity. I enjoyed "TGL" for the most part, but the big climax of the book was basically Hal standing still and talking, while we're being thrown a bunch of metaphysical concepts that ... I don't even remember what happened, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    I have zero interest in any pan sexual Hal anything. That was a Morrison thing that they let him indulge in but hopefully that is the end of that.
    It wasn't. #Itscomplicated
    Attached Images Attached Images

The folks who made those New 52 movies clearly didn't care much about the character to say the least. They used him because DC likely mandated them to use him at the time, and Geoff Johns' moronic depiction of him in the New 52 JL only made it easier for them to give him that portrayal. All they did is turn him into a meme material for idiot twitter stans to still use against him all those years later. At the time I thought at least something is better than nothing or worse. And then we saw what happened to him the minute reboot time came along. From now on I think it's fair to presume that what you can expect for Hal on the animated/outside media front is either to be dead or evil or an unlikable secondary character, or usually to not even be acknowledged.
    At least he got some good lines in there, although I think Nathan Fillion's delivery helped a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    It wasn't. #Itscomplicated
    I'm probably forgetting something about that episode, but wasn't Sinestro just mad at Hal for being a jerk and tried to steal Carol from him in revenge, while Carol only dated "Thaal Sinclair" to try to make Hal jealous? I don't believe this was meant to imply something more on Sinestro's part, though it was clear that much like Carol, he was obsessed with Hal as well, just not necessarily in a romantic fashion. Still, that pic can certainly give that impression.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    At least he got some good lines in there, although I think Nathan Fillion's delivery helped a lot.
    Fillion fits the more classic-based Hal from GL Emerald Knights or JL: Doom. Mature, confident, with more authority in his voice, while I tend to associate the modern-day Hal with Josh Keaton than anyone else. I don't know what the New-52 Hal was, but the voice didn't do much for me.

I'm probably forgetting something about that episode, but wasn't Sinestro just mad at Hal for being a jerk and tried to steal Carol from him in revenge, while Carol only dated "Thaal Sinclair" to try to make Hal jealous? I don't believe this was meant to imply something more on Sinestro's part, though it was clear that much like Carol, he was obsessed with Hal as well, just not necessarily in a romantic fashion. Still, that pic can certainly give that impression.
    Yes. Of course it wasn't explicit, but Thaal's hurt feelings over being ghosted and his jealousy are a bit intense for a "bro." At the end, there was no real distinction between the strong feelings Carol and Thaal had for Hal, in terms of how it was treated. And yeah, them all riding off together on a rainbow certainly has connotations.

Fillion fits the more classic-based Hal from GL Emerald Knights or JL: Doom. Mature, confident, with more authority in his voice, while I tend to associate the modern-day Hal with Josh Keaton than anyone else. I don't know what the New-52 Hal was, but the voice didn't do much for me.
    Nolan North's Hal is kind of toxic now.

How does everyone feel about Hal becoming Parallax?
    Myself, I can understand it after Mongol destroyed his city, his family and basically his earth life. When you have all that power and you couldn't stop it nor would you be able to avenge it, as a Corps member.
    Can you blame him for what he did? I mean, everyone has a dark side and it takes extraordinary things to bring that out, see Injustice as an example.
    Now what the writers did to him as Parallax is up to debate but I feel him becoming Parallax was the right road, given what Mongol did.