Page 108 of 202 FirstFirst ... 85898104105106107108109110111112118158 ... LastLast
Results 1,606 to 1,620 of 3027

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think DC's new Discovery overlords are still deciding whether or not Fandome is worth doing or not. With the whole Ezra debacle, they've got bigger headaches to deal with at the moment.

As for John's inclusion in the promo poster last year, that was in anticipation for his animated movie out next month. The lead time for animation is pretty long so they already knew that was coming down the pipe.

I'm not saying that anything with Hal is coming, but it's a very odd inclusion to be sure. Frankly, I'm baffled by it.
    Speaking of which, I really wish they'd stop treating stuff so specific to Hal (being partners with Ollie, being friends with Barry, Sinestro) as stuff that can be so interchangeable with other GL's.

DC, and Marvel I guess, always struggle to develop new environment for legacy characters and this is especially bad with GL since we have 10 of them running around so asides of Hal (and maybe Kyle) nobody really got enough focus to develop his own villains and supporting cast.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    DC, and Marvel I guess, always struggle to develop new environment for legacy characters and this is especially bad with GL since we have 10 of them running around so asides of Hal (and maybe Kyle) nobody really got enough focus to develop his own villains and supporting cast.
    JesSimon had their own title, Jo had a maxi, and John etc were featured in GLC long enough to have developed some if the writers had wanted. And the ones that were used need other writers to come along and bring them back (anyone remember Effigy or Nero?) rather than constantly using Sinestro. I mean heck - bring back Flicker or Invisible Destroyer - old Hal foes who aren't being used and spread them around. But Sinestro and Hal have a special relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    JesSimon had their own title, Jo had a maxi, and John etc were featured in GLC long enough to have developed some if the writers had wanted. And the ones that were used need other writers to come along and bring them back (anyone remember Effigy or Nero?) rather than constantly using Sinestro. I mean heck - bring back Flicker or Invisible Destroyer - old Hal foes who aren't being used and spread them around. But Sinestro and Hal have a special relationship.
    I think there was an AU version of Black Adam in the recent Suicide Squad run...although I think he died.

Imo that likely has more to do with DC just not wanting the Lantern they happen to push to settle for scraps if you will. This isn't the same situation as Kyle who they had no choice but to give his own lore since they nuked Hal's lore prior to that. Here the mindset seems to be they don't want the default Lantern to come off as a lesser character if they're given lesser-known villains or lesser known heroes to pal around with. So naturally they will give them the rivalry with Sinestro, the friendships with Barry or Ollie, the founding JL spot in adaptations, etc. The only way those things don't happen is if Hal is perpetually positioned as the default Lantern which obviously hasn't been and never will be the case. Hence the things primarily associated with him will always be given to others every time DC gets tired of using him.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Imo that likely has more to do with DC just not wanting the Lantern they happen to push to settle for scraps if you will. This isn't the same situation as Kyle who they had no choice but to give his own lore since they nuked Hal's lore prior to that. Here the mindset seems to be they don't want the default Lantern to come off as a lesser character if they're given lesser-known villains or lesser known heroes to pal around with. So naturally they will give them the rivalry with Sinestro, the friendships with Barry or Ollie, the founding JL spot in adaptations, etc. The only way those things don't happen is if Hal is perpetually positioned as the default Lantern which obviously hasn't been and never will be the case. Hence the things primarily associated with him will always be given to others every time DC gets tired of using him.
    I never think of DC as a singular entity with an agenda (outside of big events) - that's giving them too much credit, imo. How is "settling for scraps" better than getting Hal's "hand-me-downs?" It can be seen either way. I think it just takes a writer to make a villain interesting. Atrocitus is relatively new, but Johns made him memorable enough that's he's been featured outside of comics multiple times. Thorne just had an opportunity to create a new and recurring nemesis for John in the latest run, but do you think he did? I don't DC was stopping him.

I didn't read the "Green Lanterns" title, but was there any standout villain there that someone else might find interesting enough to use again?

There was the "Phantom Lantern" who oddly enough also had history with Hal. They also had their own take on Volthoom.

While Hal has great willpower I do not…but it’s still an awesome statue

01686422-572F-40FA-9AE5-073D773728D1.jpg

17EA743C-D06A-42CD-9DD3-F0543065180E.jpg
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post

I have this bust. It's really well done, and one of my favorite comic-related items.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I never think of DC as a singular entity with an agenda (outside of big events) - that's giving them too much credit, imo. How is "settling for scraps" better than getting Hal's "hand-me-downs?" It can be seen either way. I think it just takes a writer to make a villain interesting. Atrocitus is relatively new, but Johns made him memorable enough that's he's been featured outside of comics multiple times. Thorne just had an opportunity to create a new and recurring nemesis for John in the latest run, but do you think he did? I don't DC was stopping him.

I didn't read the "Green Lanterns" title, but was there any standout villain there that someone else might find interesting enough to use again?
    Because people won’t think of them as “hand-me-downs” if the first time they show up in theater or on HBO Max, they’re going up against one of the other Lanterns. The general audience doesn’t know what belongs to who, they’ll associate whatever they see with whoever is the Lantern lead. And all the cool stuff is Hal’s, it’s been almost 10 years since the end of Johns run and DC has failed to really continue building up their cosmic side.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Because people won’t think of them as “hand-me-downs” if the first time they show up in theater or on HBO Max, they’re going up against one of the other Lanterns. The general audience doesn’t know what belongs to who, they’ll associate whatever they see with whoever is the Lantern lead. And all the cool stuff is Hal’s, it’s been almost 10 years since the end of Johns run and DC has failed to really continue building up their cosmic side.
    Just look at how they handled modern Barry in relation to Wally.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Pretty much all they did in recent years was finally move away from the Emotional Spectrum stuff. Which they had no choice since they milked that cow to death and beyond, but their lack of direction with the cosmic side post-Johns has been painfully evident. Hence in adaptations you still see the Sinestro Corps and the Red Lanterns.
    Last edited by Johnny; 07-02-2022 at 03:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post

Please, I never see you get in debates or complain about how DC treats some of your favorite characters, of course you have great willpower.

It is an awesome statue, I don't remember seeing a Hal statue that has disappointed me so far.
    Last edited by Johnny; 07-02-2022 at 03:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post

Anyone have any ideas why Hal would be in a picture of all of DC’s outside media content? Why not John, who’s got an animated movie coming up, or Alan & Guy, who’re starring in the HBO Max show?
    Hal in multiversus since it's also at sdcc and their beta launches this month, maybe they'll do a surprise launch on the same day

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    There was the "Phantom Lantern" who oddly enough also had history with Hal. They also had their own take on Volthoom.
    I haven't read Green Lanterns either, but I feel like Volthoom should, or could, be Jessica's main villain?

As for characters like Johns getting "hand-me-downs", I have seen few fans of his not liking it, but wide majority seems to be happy that Johns is finally the focus of an animated movie. Starve fan base long enough and they'll accept garbage, I guess.