Page 138 of 202 FirstFirst ... 3888128134135136137138139140141142148188 ... LastLast
Results 2,056 to 2,070 of 3027
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Yes, Superman/Hal team up in Green Flame that was supposed to come out during Action Weekly era, but came out much later.
    And it's a great story too. It's still kind of staggering that a story like that was derailed for so many years over Carlin's idiotic continuity nitpicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    And it's a great story too. It's still kind of staggering that a story like that was derailed for so many years over Carlin's idiotic continuity nitpicks
    I'm sure he thought he was just "protecting the brand"...

Astonishing Member

Yeah, I always really loved it. I remember grabbing it when it first came out because Hal stuff was way less common at the time (what with him being dead in mainline continuity) and I read that one over and over.

Astonishing Member

I remember it vaguely. How was it out of continuity?

I don't believe its currently seen as out of continuity, but originally it was supposed to come out in the late 80s as part of the Action Comics Weekly run and Mike Carlin who was the Superman group editor at the time thought the story didn't make sense because post-Crisis Clark Kent and Hal Jordan apparently didn't know each other's secret identities yet. After more continuity changes through the following years and I'm sure mostly because Neil Gaiman became the huge name he did, it was finally allowed to be published as a one-shot in 2000.
    Last edited by Johnny; 08-08-2022 at 09:54 AM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I don't believe its currently seen as out of continuity, but originally it was supposed to come out in the late 80s as part of the Action Comics Weekly run and Mike Carlin who was the Superman group editor at the time thought the story didn't make sense because post-Crisis Clark Kent and Hal Jordan apparently didn't know each other's secret identities yet. After more continuity changes through the following years and I'm sure mostly because Neil Gaiman became the huge name he did, it was finally allowed to be published as a one-shot in 2000.
    Bingo. Carlin was obsessed with Superman's secret identity not being known by anyone or any of his Pre-Crisis relationships being intact. When Jeph Loeb wanted to include Superman in his and Sale's Challengers of the Unknown miniseries, Carlin was adamant that Superman couldn't appear because the Post-Crisis comics hadn't established that he'd ever met them. So, they included the scene anyway, but revealed that it was a Superman robot. Even with this work around, Carlin reportedly got the editor, Elliot S. Maggin, fired. Dunno if that's entirely the truth, but that's what Maggin believes.

Bingo. Carlin was obsessed with Superman's secret identity not being known by anyone or any of his Pre-Crisis relationships being intact. When Jeph Loeb wanted to include Superman in his and Sale's Challengers of the Unknown miniseries, Carlin was adamant that Superman couldn't appear because the Post-Crisis comics hadn't established that he'd ever met them. So, they included the scene anyway, but revealed that it was a Superman robot. Even with this work around, Carlin reportedly got the editor, Elliot S. Maggin, fired. Dunno if that's entirely the truth, but that's what Maggin believes.
    And then Brian Michael Bendis comes in and is like "now EVERYBODY knows!!!" .

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Why are there robots that can reproduce Superman's abilities anyway?
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    The Silver Age was a wild time.

Hal teaming up with other heroes is always great since it barely happens anymore and it feels like something that's sorely missing about his character. He has so many connections and we never tend to see them. Always liked the quiet team-ups more since everyone teams up when the universe is ending, but the regular team-ups feel way more special.
    Last edited by Johnny; 08-09-2022 at 11:39 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The Silver Age was a wild time.
    And was a bir more imaginative when it came to GL's power. Now its just mostly constructs.

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    And was a bir more imaginative when it came to GL's power. Now its just mostly constructs.
    GL's powerset has been, unfortunately, lacklustre since the 2000's, save for Morrison's run and Far Sector.

When all you have is a giant green hand...

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Why not, it's fun. Almost as fun as Silver Age Hal trying to get out of a yellow cage.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    So, what've we got so far....?

Maybe Hal finds Barry and they are venturing to all the other JL worlds? (or at least looking for them)
    The full cover. I'd say you did a good job.