Page 163 of 202 FirstFirst ... 63113153159160161162163164165166167173 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,445 of 3027
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Has Hal's music taste ever been mentioned before. He feels like an AC/DC type to me.
    He enjoyed Dixieland as per O'Neil.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Always felt GNR's version of Sympathy for The Devil was the perfect Parallax Hal song. That song is also what led to the GNR break up in the first place so there are lots of meta themes about it as it is. lol

Extraordinary Member

I never gave much thought into the white boots thing.

Then, I saw Ron DeSantis (who I believe worships evil's might) wear them.

Now, I understand.

That's a great compliment Abin .

I think it's fine for Hal to be called the goat within the DC lores, but they should never again try to promote him that way. No legacy character should be touted as the greatest of their mantle since all you do is alienate other fans like that. Like when DC recently said "Move away Damian Wayne, everyone's favorite Robin Tim Drake is back". Why do something like that. It's equally annoying when they say this character surpassed that character. I was never a fan of The Joker being touted as the greatest villain either. I think only Superman should be promoted as the greatest at anything, because with him it really makes sense. With everyone else just focus on telling good stories, don't try to force their status down the audience's throats.
    Last edited by Johnny; 10-13-2022 at 01:53 AM.

I think it's fine for Hal to be called the goat within the DC lores, but they should never again try to promote him that way. No legacy character should be touted as the greatest of their mantle since all you do is alienate other fans like that. Like when DC recently said "Move away Damian Wayne, everyone's favorite Robin Tim Drake is back". Why do something like that. It's equally annoying when they say this character surpassed that character. I was never a fan of The Joker being touted as the greatest villain either. I think only Superman should be promoted as the greatest at anything, because with him it really makes sense. With everyone else just focus on telling good stories, don't try to force their status down the audience's throats.
    It reminds me of wrestling.

I don't think it should even be said by a character in-universe either, unless it's important to the story for a character to have that opinion. It's one thing when Hal was the only human GL in the DC canon, but to have him touted as such now is just antagonizing other fans. Let his actions speak to his greatness and let the other GLs actions speak to their greatness. Fans can debate who's "the greastest" but it goes against the notion of the Corps anyway to praise one above all others. (except when Guy was brain damaged and that was his thing - it's odd to be nostalgic about homicidal loony-tunes Guy, but he was a lot more interesting there, imo - before the JLI made him a punchline)

It's just a case of Main Character Problems.

Extraordinary Member

I think being called the greatest works for characters with butt naked narcissism, like Sinestro and Luthor.

"Show, don't tell".

Extraordinary Member

"Show, don't tell".

I didn't choose the ring life.....the ring life chose me!

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

"Show, don't tell".

As much as Brian Meltzer's JLA ended up disappointing, there was sooooo much potential there, particularly with the Dinah/Hal/Roy trio

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    As much as Brian Meltzer's JLA ended up disappointing, there was sooooo much potential there, particularly with the Dinah/Hal/Roy trio

I really think that Meltzer was really bad at writing JLA . I think that he wrote that Cry for Justice mini , that was terrible .
    Also didn't he write that rape incident too with I think Atom's wife ? I forget at the moment .
    He certainly has great writing credentials , but he was totally wrong for DC and JLA.
    I really try to forget all about his run.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheKryptonMan View Post
    I really think that Meltzer was really bad at writing JLA . I think that he wrote that Cry for Justice mini , that was terrible .
    Also didn't he write that rape incident too with I think Atom's wife ? I forget at the moment .
    He certainly has great writing credentials , but he was totally wrong for DC and JLA.
    I really try to forget all about his run.
    Cry for Justice was James Robinson. Brad Meltzer did a great run with Justice League of America despite it only being 12 issues, and I loved his Arrow Quest run. Identity Crisis aside (which had great personal moments between heroes, outside of the Sue/Jack Darke thing- Bruce at his parent's grave yard, Oliver and Hal at the graveyard, Wally& Kyle confronting the Satellite era League, Dick and Kory, etc). I don't think he's wrong for DC/JL at all, when he writes, he can really write:

He's one of the writers that can capture human elements behind the larger than life, space operas. I also think despite what I assume was Didio influenced mandates, Meltzer was one of those people who can capture the voices of each character, make them distinctive but stay true to who they really are.
    Last edited by ironman2978; 10-13-2022 at 10:55 PM.