Page 105 of 202 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115155 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 3027

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    What makes you think they would't "let" Hal be there? Maybe the writer just chose to use John. Why would they "let" Hal be in "World's Finest" or "Swamp Thing"? I know it sucks Hal doesn't have a book currently, but he was supposed to headline GL before the writer dropped out. I think DC is trying to broaden the GL franchise since it's built for that, but I don't buy into the "DC is out to get Hal" gripes
    Neither do I because that's not what I'm doing. I pointed out the "poster boy" of the GL franchise DC has traditionally marketed for the better part of the past half century now. One Lantern being prioritized doesn't mean they're out to "get" someone else, even if we ignore what happened in the 90s, it means their marketing efforts are concentrated around that particular character and therefore he will be the one to receive majority of the attention. I find nothing controversial in pointing this out, for example they indeed wouldn't let Andy Schmidt use Earth-3 Hal in his Crime Syndicate book even though the character descriptions were released and Emerald Knight was originally slated to be Hal, in the last minute that was changed to John who was reimagined as a Coast City native trained by Sinestro. Based on many different examples over the years over how the default Lantern has been treated, I have no reason to believe that pointing out the way DC has traditionally done business with this franchise should be equated to griping about how "they're out to get Hal".
    Last edited by Johnny; 06-26-2022 at 05:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Based on many different examples over the years over how the default Lantern has been treated, I have no reason to believe that pointing out the way DC has traditionally done business with this franchise should be equated to griping about how "they're out to get Hal".
    That's fair, but you know that contingent is out there so I didn't mean to lump you in with that, but I was speaking expansively as well to address that group's mentality. I didn't know about the Crime Syndicate stuff, but do you know if that was also the case with the Flash/Aquman series?

I agree that the face of the franchise usually gets more, but I think with GL lately, it's been a bit different where there's more room for the non-headliners to still appear in other places outside of a GL title that wasn't the case when Hal or Kyle were the headliners. Jessica still has things going on outside of comics, there's a push for Jo in the initiative formerly known as 5G, and Hal still appears in things. Thorne said he has plans for Guy and Kyle so maybe that's why they're sidelined at the moment, but Kyle was also on three covers in the latest solit, so while John might be the headliner of the moment, parity amongst the other earth lanterns seem better than it has in the past.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 06-26-2022 at 05:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Thanks. So Alec Holland is dead?
    Yes, I believe it happened in Ram V’s JLD when they were fighting no the Upside down man. They took out Kent Nelson too.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Eh, "dead" in the DCU when it comes to OG characters lasts only as long as the initial interest in their replacement.

Well, death and Alec Holland have an interesting relationship .

Astonishing Member

Here's your favorite "B-lister" by Ivan Reis.

Another awesome art from Ivan

In the 90s they wouldn't even let Waid and Ross use Hal in Kingdom Come so they used Alan instead, today they wouldn't even let Hal be in that 3 issue Aquaman/Flash book, yet you think they'd give him the main GL title back? At best Hal will either get some limited series like when Kyle got the Ion series despite that DC stopped pushing him at the time, or he will most likely be part of the secondary GLC title that has no relevance to the main direction of the franchise and only serves the purpose of stuffing a bunch of Lanterns together since they need to do something with them, while the focus is on the main guy. We've all seen that same song and dance before.
    If by “main” you mean the main GL ongoing yeah I think they will. Originally Hal was supposed to be the co-protagonist of the GL book and that only didn’t happen because the lead writer who was set to handle him dropped out. John will be getting a new book titled John Stewart & the Emerald Knights per the final issue of his last ongoing, so that means they could easily launch a new volume of Hal Jordan & the Green Lantern Corps. Plus Hal is the GL in the Dark Crisis event which will assuredly have books spinning out of it like these events always do.

Hal’s days of being the one true GL are over barring another Johns coming on and turning GL into a competitor with Batman, but he’s still in the “Trinity” of most important and popular GLs (Hal, John, and Jess). His situation could be better but he’s still in a healthier position than Kyle, Simon, or Guy none of whom have any chance of being anything but supporting characters any time soon.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Never understood the "one true GL" thing, noone says Hal has to always be on the forefront of everything GL, I just don't see him being the lead of the flagship GL title as long as he isn't the one being promoted and marketed by DC as the flagship character of the franchise, since that's usually how they have treated it over the years. John doing different things or being called "Emerald Knight" for the time being feels similar to the Renegade arc where Hal had no ring and was on the run, yet he was still the main character since he was the one the promotional machine was backing at the time. It's how DC has always treated the brand no matter who was in charge. I do hope there is more parity among the GLs going forward as j9ac9k mentioned before.
    Last edited by Johnny; 06-27-2022 at 03:25 AM.

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Obligatory posting given these lousy interpretations of Hal doing the rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    If by “main” you mean the main GL ongoing yeah I think they will. Originally Hal was supposed to be the co-protagonist of the GL book and that only didn’t happen because the lead writer who was set to handle him dropped out. John will be getting a new book titled John Stewart & the Emerald Knights per the final issue of his last ongoing, so that means they could easily launch a new volume of Hal Jordan & the Green Lantern Corps. Plus Hal is the GL in the Dark Crisis event which will assuredly have books spinning out of it like these events always do.

Hal’s days of being the one true GL are over barring another Johns coming on and turning GL into a competitor with Batman, but he’s still in the “Trinity” of most important and popular GLs (Hal, John, and Jess). His situation could be better but he’s still in a healthier position than Kyle, Simon, or Guy none of whom have any chance of being anything but supporting characters any time soon.
    Never understood the "one true GL" thing, noone says Hal has to always be on the forefront of everything GL, I just don't see him being the lead of the flagship GL title as long as he isn't the one being promoted and marketed by DC as the flagship character of the franchise, since that's usually how they have treated it over the years. John doing different things or being called "Emerald Knight" for the time being feels similar to the Renegade arc where Hal had no ring and was on the run, yet he was still the main character since he was the one the promotional machine was backing at the time. It's how DC has always treated the brand no matter who was in charge. I do hope there is more parity among the GLs going forward as j9ac9k mentioned before.
    I'm still not sure if we'll get another GL book alongside the Emerald Knights book.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MaxStirner_91 View Post

Obligatory posting given these lousy interpretations of Hal doing the rounds.
    I'd love to see an Injustice type of Elseworld where Hal was the main protagonist against Black Adam.

Spoilers from Swamp Thing issue:

spoilers:
    We don't get much of Hal asides of what we saw in the preview. But he returns towards the end of the issue and basically powers up Swamp Thing with... I guess willpower? It looked cool, but I don't remember seeing anything like that before and I'm not sure if it makes sense.
    end of spoilers

Such a weird concept Johns tried to make into a thing. And to waste a whole page on it with Cowgirl awkwardly putting her hands on Hal just so Johns could give us the "McDLT" of superhero costumes.

Ah...Cowgirl...
    Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Spoilers from Swamp Thing issue:

spoilers:
    We don't get much of Hal asides of what we saw in the preview. But he returns towards the end of the issue and basically powers up Swamp Thing with... I guess willpower? It looked cool, but I don't remember seeing anything like that before and I'm not sure if it makes sense.
    end of spoilers
    Sounds kind of anime .
    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Such a weird concept Johns tried to make into a thing. And to waste a whole page on it with Cowgirl awkwardly putting her hands on Hal just so Johns could give us the "McDLT" of superhero costumes.
    I think it's kind of neat to see them explore what a costume constructed by a ring would feel like.