Page 67 of 202 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177117167 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 3027
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Pansexual Jewish Hal is perfect.

If DC doesn't do anything with that, they are cowards. He will still have the "safe" endgame romance with Carol, so let's experiment in the meantime
    I agree. However I feel DC is either too cowardly or too neglectful of Hal to do this…

By Jim Lee.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    I agree. However I feel DC is either too cowardly or too neglectful of Hal to do this…
    It's a little bit of both unfortunately.

Stick Hal kissing a non binary alien on the cover, I say. It would piss off ALL the right people.

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledMan View Post
    Sorry if this comes across as a rant, I'm just throwing some thoughts down

I've been reading a lot of Hal Jordan lately. I've reread Johns' run, Hal&Pals, New Frontier, JLA Year One, Brave and the Bold; and I've read for the first time Willworld, The Final Night, Last Will and Testament of Hal Jordan, and the Dematteis Spectre run.

And I've come to realise how shallow Hal's character is under Johns and Venditti by comparison. He's "just" a brave, cocky, flying by the seat of his pants pilot with some daddy issues. Now there's nothing wrong with this characterisation but to me it doesn't flow with how he's been written leading up to Rebirth, I feel that this suits a much younger Hal not one that has spent the last few years as the Spectre. And even the head in the clouds, flyboy Hal has been done better and with more nuance imo in GLTAS, New Frontier, JLA Year One/Brave and the Bold. Idk maybe it's just recency bias.

At least Morrison's Hal feels like a natural progression from early days Hal (New Frontier, JLA Year One/Brave and the Bold, GLTAS) to Emerald Twilight (urgh) to path of redemption (Final Night, Spectre, Last Will and Testament), where he comes across as seasoned, competent, and zen-like in attitude.

What has happened to his relationships? I can't believe Dematteis did more for Hal and Abin's relationship than anything I've read afterwards though to be honest what Dematteis did was so good that I could see why others might not want to touch it, but c'mon no mentions of their friendship or Lagzia.

AND WHERE IS HELEN? Where is cool Uncle Hal, the social butterfly of DC Comics?
    I feel like it's underselling Johns' Hal to call it shallow and just the cocky flyboy, because there was way more to the character than that (in my opinion) and how Johns incorporated how Hal grew as a character and tried to move on from Parallax and be himself again while doing right by the people he loves. Like, I see Johns' Hal in GL:TAS Hal.

But I also just don't have an affinity for Spectre era Hal so it's not something I really think about.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledMan View Post
    New episode of Young Justice really was GLTAS episode 27 ha!
    The shows' legacy lives on .
    Pansexual Jewish Hal is perfect.

If DC doesn't do anything with that, they are cowards. He will still have the "safe" endgame romance with Carol, so let's experiment in the meantime
    I just want to see Carol be relevant again.

Extraordinary Member

Has any modern writer done anything with the Pol Manning personality and story?

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Paul Chadwick cover.

ActionComicsWeekly626.jpg

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Has any modern writer done anything with the Pol Manning personality and story?
    Unfortunately, no. I was surprised that Morrison barely touched on it, too. You'd think that would've been a nice little forgotten gem they could've done a lot with.

Incredible Member

It's a little bit of both unfortunately.

Stick Hal kissing a non binary alien on the cover, I say. It would piss off ALL the right people.
    I definitely need to see this happen.

Oh, I forgot to mention that Geoffrey Thorne discussed the behind the scenes of his GL run recently on his blog and revealed that there were indeed plans for a Hal Jordan/GLCorps-centric run to follow up Morrison & Sharpe's, written by a major writer, but it fell through, which meant that Thorne's backup feature about John Stewart was promoted to the main feature.

So, for all of the kvetching we've been doing here about DC not having anything with Hal over the past year, this should be pretty clear evidence that DC never had any intention of leaving Hal in limbo, but rather it was an unfortunate case of the plans the creative team they had lined up not working out.

Now, Thorne, quite rightly, didn't reveal the identity of the "big name" writer DC had lined up to do GL. I initially thought it might have been Jeff Lemire, who said himself that he was planning on working on the GL book for 5G. However, since Morrison claimed that Hal would've been retired for 5G (along with almost everyone) and Thorne confirmed it wasn't Lemire, it must have been a different writer. Who knows? Maybe whoever it was will spill the tea sooner or later and we'll learn what those aborted plans for the Infinite Frontier GL book were.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Oh, I forgot to mention that Geoffrey Thorne discussed the behind the scenes of his GL run recently on his blog and revealed that there were indeed plans for a Hal Jordan/GLCorps-centric run to follow up Morrison & Sharpe's, written by a major writer, but it fell through, which meant that Thorne's backup feature about John Stewart was promoted to the main feature.

So, for all of the kvetching we've been doing here about DC not having anything with Hal over the past year, this should be pretty clear evidence that DC never had any intention of leaving Hal in limbo, but rather it was an unfortunate case of the plans the creative team they had lined up not working out.

Now, Thorne, quite rightly, didn't reveal the identity of the "big name" writer DC had lined up to do GL. I initially thought it might have been Jeff Lemire, who said himself that he was planning on working on the GL book for 5G. However, since Morrison claimed that Hal would've been retired for 5G (along with almost everyone) and Thorne confirmed it wasn't Lemire, it must have been a different writer. Who knows? Maybe whoever it was will spill the tea sooner or later and we'll learn what those aborted plans for the Infinite Frontier GL book were.
    That's a real lame excuse. It's been more than one year and they couldn't find another creative team to fill in the blank?

That's a real lame excuse. It's been more than one year and they couldn't find another creative team to fill in the blank?
    Why would they need to? Thorne's GL was received well enough both critically and financially that there wasn't any pressing reason to bring another creative team simply so there'd be comics focused on Hal Jordan, particularly since Hal was already lined up to have a large role in Dark Crisis. Plus, Hal was being featured as the main villain of the first half of DC vs Vampires and was also appearing regularly in Justice League: Last Ride, in addition to all his guest appearances in Jessica's GL Annual, Superman: Son of Kal-El, and the GL title.

Given the chaos that DC Editorial has been in since AT&T took them out to the woodshed, I can totally understand why they'd have more pressing problems to deal with than ensuring that Hal fans got another monthly comic about him on top of the two other monthly comics he was already featured in.

Plan was probably to have one oversized ongoing till Dark Crisis so yeah, no point in searching for another creative team. Maybe now we'll have two series since Thorne will be doing Emerald Knights.

Anyway, Young Justice is getting Dark Crisis mini, maybe GL will get one as well?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Why would they need to? Thorne's GL was received well enough both critically and financially that there wasn't any pressing reason to bring another creative team simply so there'd be comics focused on Hal Jordan, particularly since Hal was already lined up to have a large role in Dark Crisis. Plus, Hal was being featured as the main villain of the first half of DC vs Vampires and was also appearing regularly in Justice League: Last Ride, in addition to all his guest appearances in Jessica's GL Annual, Superman: Son of Kal-El, and the GL title.

Given the chaos that DC Editorial has been in since AT&T took them out to the woodshed, I can totally understand why they'd have more pressing problems to deal with than ensuring that Hal fans got another monthly comic about him on top of the two other monthly comics he was already featured in.
    >Thorne's GL was received well enough both critically and financially
    I think we might live in different earths.
    Yeah DC editors have much more important things to do. Like, launching 48 Batman books a month.
    BTW, Hal in Jessica's GL Annual was portrayed like shit.

Well the last issue of that run sold out and it's getting a second printing so it couldn't have been received that poorly all things considered. Either way, this thread is one of the few GL-related places I can visit that isn't being used for mudslinging so let's keep it that way please. And that's coming from me of all people, who is always concerned about how Hal is treated no matter how hard I try not to get stuck in the black hole of negativity.
    Last edited by Johnny; 04-22-2022 at 05:33 AM.

>Thorne's GL was received well enough both critically and financially
    I think we might live in different earths.
    Yeah DC editors have much more important things to do. Like, launching 48 Batman books a month.
    BTW, Hal in Jessica's GL Annual was portrayed like shit.
    Apparently, we are living on different Earths if you can't understand that Thorne's GL run isn't viewed as a failure. Some people liked it and some didn't, as is always the case, but enough people both liked it and bought it for it to be successful. Not a giant hit by any stretch, but successful enough.

I feel the same about DC's over-reliance on Bat-books and also thought Hal's portrayal in the GL Annual wasn't great, but that doesn't alter my argument. DC was publishing multiple comics with Hal Jordan in them after their planned creative team fell through.