Page 103 of 202 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113153 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 3027
    Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    Garbage clickbait, written solely to rile people up, not even deserving a response.

Hal to be featured in "Superman: Space Age": (he's mentioned a little past halfway down)
    https://www.cbr.com/superman-space-a...red-interview/

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Hal to be featured in "Superman: Space Age": (he's mentioned a little past halfway down)
    https://www.cbr.com/superman-space-a...red-interview/
    I'm not sure I'm a big fan of what I'm reading here. Hal is neither an "us vs them" kind of guy, nor is he "just following orders". That sounds like the polar opposite of him, regardless of the setting. I do like what they mention about him playing the role of the everyman who realizes he needs to grow up early on, while making sure to use his power responsibly and justly, but this could still turn out to be yet another take on Hal that gives people the wrong impression of his character. Hope they do well with him.

EDIT: Granted, this seems to be a Black Label book(?), in which case that would make more sense.
    Last edited by Johnny; 06-24-2022 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I'm not sure I'm a big fan of what I'm reading here. Hal is neither an "us vs them" kind of guy, nor is he "just following orders". That sounds like the polar opposite of him, regardless of the setting. I do like what they mention about him playing the role of the everyman who realizes he needs to grow up early on, while making sure to use his power responsibly and justly, but this could still turn out to be yet another take on Hal that gives people the wrong impression of his character. Hope they do well with him.

EDIT: Granted, this seems to be a Black Label book(?), in which case that would make more sense.
    This feels oddly timed with the recent discussion of Hal in the Johns run.

Yeah, I wasn't particularly enthused by that description of Hal either. Also completely at odds with his characterization in New Frontier which was set in a similar time period. The art looks fantastic though.
    Last edited by Mutatis_Mutandis; 06-24-2022 at 12:56 PM.

As you mention, the article states that he grows out of that initial mentality. They state that Hal is in the book before he becomes Green Lantern so I imagine joining an intergalactic Corps filled with all sorts of beings broadens his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    As you mention, the article states that he grows out of that initial mentality. They state that Hal is in the book before he becomes Green Lantern so I imagine joining an intergalactic Corps filled with all sorts of beings broadens his mind.
    I think what I'm skeptical about is portraying Hal deliberately out of character in order to have the excuse that there is something "wrong" with him that needs to be "fixed" first before he becomes "worthy" of the power he's subsequently given. While that could just be part of the usual character development that we see in any superhero origin story, I'm just not a huge fan of how this could be handled. But again, could turn out to be a good story and it's not like they "had" to use Hal here, I'd like to think they chose him because they thought he was the best fit for this particular take on the Justice League.
    Last edited by Johnny; 06-24-2022 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxStirner_91 View Post
    Yeah, I wasn't particularly enthused by that description of Hal either. Also completely at odds with his characterization in New Frontier which was set in a similar time period. The art looks fantastic though.
    On a different note, Ram V seems to be writing Hal very much in character in the incoming Swamp Thing issue.

https://aiptcomics.com/2022/06/24/dc...wamp-thing-14/

On a different note, Ram V seems to be writing Hal very much in character in the incoming Swamp Thing issue.

Holy ****, this is amazing! Thanks Johnny, might check this out.

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

Definitely reading this, do I need to catch up on the rest of Swamp Thing?

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledMan View Post
    Definitely reading this, do I need to catch up on the rest of Swamp Thing?
    Either way, you should. It's been an amazing series and definitely worth picking up!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Feels very Alan Moore-esque, which is appropriate.

Extraordinary Member

Hal being written as a grown ass man......I can dig it.

The Swamp Thing has probably been the best "ongoing" (at 16 issues it is hardly a miniseries) that DC published since Infinite Frontier. But earlier issues don't have any Hal and likely following two will have very little of him as well.

Anyway, those quotes about Hal in Space Age interview are scary. Russell for me has been going on fumes since Flinstones and I could easily see Hal being used very badly there. It is one thing when Hal gets possessed and does some evil and another if he, on his own, ends up bombing some third world civilians because he was just "following orders".