Page 119 of 202 FirstFirst ... 1969109115116117118119120121122123129169 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,785 of 3027

It's more so that they just want to establish John as the main gl, but they forget to give him much to stand on his own

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Are you fucking serious, they are still treating Hal like shit?

Jesus Christ DC that Ryan Reynolds movie is literally over a decade old, let it go.

And stop obsessively pandering to the DCAU fans through John, that show is even older. God I hate nostalgia.

So I guess it's pandering when Star Trek, Star Wars, GI Joe, Power Rangers, Dr Who and others do it. Who are ALL older than DCAU.

If we are going to tell at DC to let that Ryan movie go-then there should be EQUAL amount of yelling about using Steel and Catwoman movies to NOT do black lead films,

Along with the constant trashing of Teen Titan franchise.

Along with acting like Green Lantern is ONLY about one guy. When time and time again support for the others is there and it can be done without it being at any of the other expense.

Spider-Man proves this monthly since Peter getting chumped out in his own book and Miles, Gwen and the rest ignore it.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Catering to DCAU nostalgia by making John the lead isn't a bad idea on it's own.

The other stuff with Hal, Sinestro and Shayera is what makes it obnoxious.

Least they do torch Hal in such a way that they can’t use any of the Johns stuff because with Sinestro dead and Parallax a weird alien parasite instead of the anthropomorphic embodiment of fear there’s nothing you can adapt. Hell the only era they can really adapt stuff from is Kyle. Cold comfort I know.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Hard to keep caring about all GLs and GL as a franchise when DC does things like this.
    GL is actually the only right now thing that makes me care about DC.

Being a DC fan can really be frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Least they do torch Hal in such a way that they can’t use any of the Johns stuff because with Sinestro dead and Parallax a weird alien parasite instead of the anthropomorphic embodiment of fear there’s nothing you can adapt. Hell the only era they can really adapt stuff from is Kyle. Cold comfort I know.
    Can adapt Morrison's run

spoilers:
    How much of a chump do they make Sinestro in this? Because he kind of sounds like a chump.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    spoilers:
    How much of a chump do they make Sinestro in this? Because he kind of sounds like a chump.
    end of spoilers
    He is a very big chump.

This to me is disastrous for the GL franchise. This is what you get when you have fans and execs alike who were either not collecting comics at the time of ET, were not aware of the fan reaction then and now, or simply didn't read them. It is a daunting task to try and research a character through all their appearances in the past several decades to better inform your take on that character, but without it you risk alienating a huge portion of their fanbase. The only people I can see this appealing to are those who skim wiki articles instead of reading the books, newer fans, or those who enjoy DC media outside of comics. Maybe I'm wrong, but this is extremely disheartening to see - especially knowing the groundwork exists for these adaptations. Green Lantern is a whole universe and mythology in itself, with so much potential, but we get stuck with the worst case scenarios because of people who read up a character bio and see a blurb from some controversial story, and go "whoa, that's pretty cool." The same goes for the Flash dead mom arc, or Batman with the Tower of Babel/Bat God characterization, these stories that look cool on paper but adapted by people who clearly did not experience these stories or witness their ramifications on the greater universe. It is really disappointing. People who watch this might not even realize that John is his own character, he doesn't need Hal's ring or Kyle's origin (haven't seen the movie but that's what I gathered) . If this is how DC is doing Green Lantern these days I'm very very worried about the future.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    He is a very big chump.
    Well, that's a bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    This to me is disastrous for the GL franchise. This is what you get when you have fans and execs alike who were either not collecting comics at the time of ET, were not aware of the fan reaction then and now, or simply didn't read them. It is a daunting task to try and research a character through all their appearances in the past several decades to better inform your take on that character, but without it you risk alienating a huge portion of their fanbase. The only people I can see this appealing to are those who skim wiki articles instead of reading the books, newer fans, or those who enjoy DC media outside of comics. Maybe I'm wrong, but this is extremely disheartening to see - especially knowing the groundwork exists for these adaptations. Green Lantern is a whole universe and mythology in itself, with so much potential, but we get stuck with the worst case scenarios because of people who read up a character bio and see a blurb from some controversial story, and go "whoa, that's pretty cool." The same goes for the Flash dead mom arc, or Batman with the Tower of Babel/Bat God characterization, these stories that look cool on paper but adapted by people who clearly did not experience these stories or witness their ramifications on the greater universe. It is really disappointing. People who watch this might not even realize that John is his own character, he doesn't need Hal's ring or Kyle's origin (haven't seen the movie but that's what I gathered) . If this is how DC is doing Green Lantern these days I'm very very worried about the future.
    "Disheartening" is a good way of putting it. As I said, I don't plan to support this franchise in its current state when I see things like this because if I do, I'd give DC the indication that I actually agree with what they're doing. Last time it took them ten years to see the error of their ways, now doubling down on the same thing almost 30 years after the fact and doing it in media adaptations to boot, seems even that much worse. But they own these characters and if this is the direction they want to go in and deliberately drive away a large portion of their GL fanbase, hope in the end they think it's worth it.

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    He dies because he was a complete fucking idiot. He had John’s ring and instead of holding on to it or destroying it he… tosses it behind him which lets John call it back to his hand by willing it to go through Sinestro’s heart while Sinestro does the cliche villain takes a while to savor killing the hero instead of just just killing them and THEN savoring their death.
    end of spoilers
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Well, that's a bummer.
    He's an inept mustache twirler who has it so little together that he forgets how to twirl his stache. He could only be more incompetent if he slipped on a banana peel and killed Hal as a result.
    Last edited by Robanker; 07-11-2022 at 12:33 PM.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    He's an inept mustache twirler who has it so little together that he forgets how to twirl his stache.
    Boom.

10char

Sounds like they really dropped the ball with the villains.

spoilers:
    Kind of giving me Mordo/Scarlet Witch vibes from Multiverse of Madness.
    end of spoilers