Page 133 of 202 FirstFirst ... 3383123129130131132133134135136137143183 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 1,995 of 3027
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Yup. Helluva Abin/Hal scene in that one, too.
    Oh, man. Its such a brilliant piece of work. It might be my favorite characterization of Hal ever. Darwyn Cooke was a tremendous talent.

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

The fact that Hal receiving the ring was pay-off and not just an inciting incident was amazing. I wish we could see more New Frontier Hal but I'm afraid of anyone but Cooke writing him. At least DC could pull more from Cooke's take for Hal in general.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledMan View Post
    The fact that Hal receiving the ring was pay-off and not just an inciting incident was amazing. I wish we could see more New Frontier Hal but I'm afraid of anyone but Cooke writing him. At least DC could pull more from Cooke's take for Hal in general.
    Yeah. He was brash and insubordinate but highly principled and compassionate, valuing life even when it meant people thought he was a coward or a commie for it. He was confident but not overly cocky and the idea that his daredevil streak came from guilt was really interesting.

I loved that moment from the aforementioned scene with Abin where Hal questions his own courage and Abin tells him, "You have the courage of conviction." I loved that his bravery was just him being a reckless hotshot, but that it came from his deeply held ideals that he stuck to no matter the consequences. Such a likable, nuanced take on the character.

Cooke is missed. New Frontier Hal was a huge inspiration for Geoff Johns wanting to bring him back in the main DCU.

It was? I always thought that GL: Rebirth was already in the works when New Frontier came out.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    It was? I always thought that GL: Rebirth was already in the works when New Frontier came out.
    New Frontier had a very loooonnng gestation period, so it’s entirely possible that Johns saw what Cooke was doing and that inspired him.

But Hal coming back was Didio wanting to restore the Bronze Age DC status quo because he thought those characters were the easiest to adapt into outside media, and he gave the job of doing that to Johns. At least that’s how I’ve heard it described.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Yes. It's an interesting take on Hal,(and his origin) but fitting with the times. He's introduced preventing nuclear war by shooting Clark out of the sky during a tense stand-off against Soviet forces.

And I fixed that last panel, you're welcome. (some idiot gave him white boots...)
    I always think Hal's gloves and boots are the same colour.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I always think Hal's gloves and boots are the same colour.
    There's a number of good design reasons for the white gloves/green boots setup:

- Eyeball focus. The ring is on the hand (or claw or tentacle or whatever). Making the ring-bearing appendage white draws the reader's attention to it, while keeping the non-ring appendages green keeps the readers attention from drifting away towards unnecessary parts of the body (interestingly, you can apply the same thinking towards why Barry's Allen's boots were gold).
    - Contrast. The Green Lantern ring is relatively tiny, and needs to pop against the hand. Hence, white gloves.
    - Dirt. White boots are just gonna get dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    There's a number of good design reasons for the white gloves/green boots setup:

- Eyeball focus. The ring is on the hand (or claw or tentacle or whatever). Making the ring-bearing appendage white draws the reader's attention to it, while keeping the non-ring appendages green keeps the readers attention from drifting away towards unnecessary parts of the body (interestingly, you can apply the same thinking towards why Barry's Allen's boots were gold).
    - Contrast. The Green Lantern ring is relatively tiny, and needs to pop against the hand. Hence, white gloves.
    - Dirt. White boots are just gonna get dirty.
    Also, when the body is in flight or motion, all white appendages make the overall shape more like a circle (or blob, depending on the pose) - 4 white spots surrounding a green field connected by black limbs. The green boots lengthen the body shape, making it a more heroic, taller rectangle with the green boots connecting to the green torso (and mask to "dot the "i") as essentially one shape.

Astonishing Member

Yes. It's an interesting take on Hal,(and his origin) but fitting with the times. He's introduced preventing nuclear war by shooting Clark out of the sky during a tense stand-off against Soviet forces.

And I fixed that last panel, you're welcome. (some idiot gave him white boots...)
    Nice to see Mike Allred draw Hal.

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledMan View Post

Nice to get a reminder of the real Hal Jordan. Particularly in animated form.

It's cool that New Frontier went back to Hal having bue eyes. I don't know when they decided his eyes were brown, but ... yeah.

It's cool that New Frontier went back to Hal having bue eyes. I don't know when they decided his eyes were brown, but ... yeah.
    Wait I thought he always had brown eyes that were made blue on occasion in modern comics? The blue here might just be from the ring glow because Cooke drew him with brown eyes as well.