Page 154 of 202 FirstFirst ... 54104144150151152153154155156157158164 ... LastLast
Results 2,296 to 2,310 of 3027

I don't mind John getting his due, but I also don't think that justifies some of the story decisions they made with BMP. Although I'm sure some would disagree.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, character standing around looking serious and heroic is pretty typical as far as covers go .
    Reminds me of the 90's

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Yeah, I had the same thought. I feel like Hal will probably be back in an ongoing in the not-so-distant future.
    I agree. I think Hal will be back with the Justice League and headlining Green Lantern after Dark Crisis.

John Stewart fans should be more concerned if they have any foresight. He got turned into some weird identity and flung far away from anything of significance in the DC Universe. That just seems like it's getting him out of the way. Personally, I wouldn't mind that if the stories were cool and the identity and design were good, but I don't feel that's what's been going on from what I've read.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I've only seen the Blu-Ray sales of BMP and they've been below 500K despite that it's part of a shared universe. It did better than the previous features like Catwoman: Hunted or the Constantine film but that should be expected since GL is a much bigger brand. Either way, leaving Hal out appears to be leaving money on the table as well and they should clearly stop rehashing stories of him being possessed by something.
    Absolutely, ignoring or diminishing Hal in order to prop up John is an idiotic creative choice. Granted, I suppose the same argument could be made that's what's happening with Jessica & Hal in DC Superhero Girls, but I don't mind there because the purpose of the show is female empowerment and comedy, so making Hal a hilariously self-centered jock works perfectly against Jessica's SJW shtick. It also helps that the writers of the show are clearly having a ball writing Hal and keep doing more and more with him beyond using him to make Jessica look better.

I would have loved to have seen a version of GL: Beware My Power that didn't waste Hal or the whole Emerald Twilight storyline in an overstuffed mess. Playing John and Hal off against each other had so much potential but, them's the breaks, I guess.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Proto Man View Post
    John Stewart fans should be more concerned if they have any foresight. He got turned into some weird identity and flung far away from anything of significance in the DC Universe. That just seems like it's getting him out of the way. Personally, I wouldn't mind that if the stories were cool and the identity and design were good, but I don't feel that's what's been going on from what I've read.
    I dunno about that, I think giving John his own corner of the DCU to do his own thing for awhile is a smart decision. It certainly worked wonders for Jo Mulliens. And it's not like Morrison's TGL was particularly interested in being part of whatever nonsense was going on in the DCU at the times, and the story was better for it. Granted, sales were below expectations, so maybe that ended up biting them in the ass.

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Hal believing in rehabilitation for Evil Star, GL v2 159.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxStirner_91 View Post
    Hal believing in rehabilitation for Evil Star, GL v2 159.
    Fixed for you -- great example!

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Absolutely, ignoring or diminishing Hal in order to prop up John is an idiotic creative choice. Granted, I suppose the same argument could be made that's what's happening with Jessica & Hal in DC Superhero Girls, but I don't mind there because the purpose of the show is female empowerment and comedy, so making Hal a hilariously self-centered jock works perfectly against Jessica's SJW shtick. It also helps that the writers of the show are clearly having a ball writing Hal and keep doing more and more with him beyond using him to make Jessica look better.

I would have loved to have seen a version of GL: Beware My Power that didn't waste Hal or the whole Emerald Twilight storyline in an overstuffed mess. Playing John and Hal off against each other had so much potential but, them's the breaks, I guess.
    I think DCSHG kind of overblew knocking the boys down a peg in favor of the female cast but I think their version of Hal kind of grew into his own likeable thing despite their characterization of him.

It was still better than how they depicted Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think DCSHG kind of overblew knocking the boys down a peg in favor of the female cast but I think their version of Hal kind of grew into his own likeable thing despite their characterization of him.
    Agreed. Once we got to see more of him, (and the others) the more likable he was. Despite being a bit full of himself, Hal was shown to be a supportive friend and hero in his own right, despite the show being about the girls.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Fixed for you -- great example!
    Thank you

This issue is a pretty great one-and-done story. There are some fun moments such as when Hal turns Evil Star into a literal punching bag and then he willingly gets "corrupted" but fights it off within the space of a few pages.

Incredible Member

I saw this Jordan family tree on another site, what do you think?

I like that Morrison used Hal's family in TGL Annual. And I often see Hal taking care of Helen in the Spectre series being brought up as an example of good writing for him.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Agreed. Once we got to see more of him, (and the others) the more likable he was. Despite being a bit full of himself, Hal was shown to be a supportive friend and hero in his own right, despite the show being about the girls.
    I love how that episode flipped the dynamic between him and Jess in the show. Gave Jess some honestly needed ribbing for always thinking she's better than Hal to outright stick in the mud levels.

Which at least Hal is an idiot so Jess disliking him is understandable compared to how we're supposed to feel bad for Kara for being upstaged by Clark despite Kara being a brutish jerk.
    Last edited by Mantis-Ray; 09-22-2022 at 12:55 AM.