Page 182 of 202 FirstFirst ... 82132172178179180181182183184185186192 ... LastLast
Results 2,716 to 2,730 of 3027
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    One of the odder things about that being one of the more famous issues, "My ward is a junkie?", actually has the positions swapped and Hal's the one who comes off looking good.
    I think Hal comes across better by accident or design in some ways, if for no other reason than he's not the one doing stuff like this

GL79.JPG

The billionaire (though did he have his wealth at the time?) going all white savior here isn't the best look. And I loved the Morrison run where Hal casually says he couldn't afford any of the things in Ollie's place.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I think Hal comes across better by accident or design in some ways, if for no other reason than he's not the one doing stuff like this

GL79.JPG

The billionaire (though did he have his wealth at the time?) going all white savior here isn't the best look. And I loved the Morrison run where Hal casually says he couldn't afford any of the things in Ollie's place.
    Honestly I might be wrong but I think Ollie was broke by this point. Like I think the prior O'Neil/Adams story dealt with him losing his money.

Oliver Queen losing and regaining his wealth is one of the most recurring plot points in the DCU, right up there with Aquaman losing the throne and regaining the throne.

Also Roy was actually raised by a Native American tribe.

One of the odder things about that being one of the more famous issues, "My ward is a junkie?", actually has the positions swapped and Hal's the one who comes off looking good.
    That's the scene where for all his pompous preaching about empathy, Ollie shows that he's unable to live up to his own standards. The moment his sidekick does something questionable he throws him out in the streets. As opposed to the "ignorant" guy in Hal who does show Roy empathy and understanding.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I do own the GA/GL collection trade, got it during a convention, fun stuff.

Thing about Hal is for all his ignorance he is always willing to admit he's wrong when and is completely willing to change his worldview when shown information why he's wrong. Hal wants to change and be better which is incredibly admirable considering how obstinate people can be about change and admitting they can be wrong.

Ollie meanwhile acted like a self-righteous prick and very much came across like the kind of guy who brags about how woke he is. It should be noted that whenever Ollie was preaching to Hal, he always did so in the most hostile and confrontational manner possible as if he was looking for a fight and insulting Hal.
    Last edited by Mantis-Ray; 11-26-2022 at 04:59 PM.

I'd say Dinah came off the best because she's the one who stayed with Roy as he was going through withdrawal. It was great whenever a writer followed up on that connection.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The "bill me" scene in GL/GA is still one of my favorite Hal moments.

I think that was also around or at the actual end of the run too. I think the only other story I remember is Ollie killing a guy and isolating himself on a mountain (or monastery) as a result before Hal got him back.
    For as much $#!+ as I give O'Neil for his characterization of Hal, I will give him credit for showing that did indeed change and grow over the course of his run. As clumsy and ham-fisted as it reads now, I cannot fault the brilliant conceit of Hal as this thouroughly decent hero is almost always wrong paired with Ollie as this insufferable self-righteous blowhard who is almost always right.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    For as much $#!+ as I give O'Neil for his characterization of Hal, I will give him credit for showing that did indeed change and grow over the course of his run. As clumsy and ham-fisted as it reads now, I cannot fault the brilliant conceit of Hal as this thouroughly decent hero is almost always wrong paired with Ollie as this insufferable self-righteous blowhard who is almost always right.
    Hal did indeed become less inclined to take authority at face value, and self-righteous Ollie was humbled once his own flaws came to light. Hal challenges authority all the time now and I think it's because even though he was no longer paired with Ollie, the book still carried the reputation of "HTH" so it fell on Hal to be the one yelling at the Guardians. (it seemed that way to me anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Between that and Emma Peel Diana Prince, I can't say I'm wowed by O'Neil's contributions to the DCU outside of Batman.

The ring wing stuff also doesn't pair well with his status as a skirt chaser, especially with the VERY ill advised Arisha stuff in his history. Bohemian drifter (pansexual or not) is just going to come across as a lot more charming.

Yeah that's him. great art, shame about the rest of it.
    I just remembered the thread where this was explained to me. You are right. It is a shame. And if Mom finds out, everyone of those books is as good as gone.

At least GL has always had good artists for the past few decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    True! There is even a Morrison run with Liam Sharp! Before I get it I need to find out if the board's Hal-squad felt it was good or no.

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    True! There is even a Morrison run with Liam Sharp! Before I get it I need to find out if the board's Hal-squad felt it was good or no.
    It's worth a read imo. Definitely a dense series, particularly Season 2. But Season 1 though Blackstars is some awesome stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledMan View Post
    It's worth a read imo. Definitely a dense series, particularly Season 2. But Season 1 though Blackstars is some awesome stuff.
    Thanks, Spangles!!! I will go get it!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    There were a few stinkers like Billy Tan and Tom Raney. At least, I didn't care for their GL work. I don't know about whatever else they may have drawn. But for the most part, GL has been solid to good, I think. Occasionally great.

Quote Originally Posted by Proto Man View Post
    There were a few stinkers like Billy Tan and Tom Raney. At least, I didn't care for their GL work. I don't know about whatever else they may have drawn. But for the most part, GL has been solid to good, I think. Occasionally great.
    I was going to avoid negativity and not say it after Johnny's statement, but those two artists immediately came to my mind as ... not so great.

Honestly I barely even remember Billy Tan's art. While Tom Raney is... not Liefeld bad. That's more or less the biggest compliment I can give.