Page 191 of 202 FirstFirst ... 91141181187188189190191192193194195201 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,865 of 3027

"Polyamorous space tomcat" .

Morrison dialogue.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    My assumptions are based on years of experience. In the past I would very much echo your sentiment and I would ask people not to generalize fans and give them the benefit of the doubt, and I still think it's not always about people being "out to get him" but at this point it's hard to keep that mindset after seeing some of the reactions towards the character even after DC purposely do him wrong. You're welcome to disagree if you feel I was being unfair to other fans or generalizing them, but there's no need to imply that my assumptions are meritless or unreasonable.
    I was just pointing out that people in this thread, including myself, were saying the exact things you said you find disingenuous. It's not that there aren't people that do what you're saying, but saying you don't believe anyone that says that in a thread where people are saying that exact thing comes off a little insulting.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    To me, "glory" can sound self-serving, which is a bad look for Hal and feeds into the negative depictions of him.
    Eh every hero can be a touch arrogant

I don't see the issue with Hal boasting as long as he can live up to those boasts

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Eh every hero can be a touch arrogant

I don't see the issue with Hal boasting as long as he can live up to those boasts
    People seem to love how confident and unapologetic Carol Danvers is.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Meanwhile people tend to dislike characters who are way too self-defeating

Everyone hates Black Panther's current characterization as a whiney wimpy loser and wish he'd get his pride and confidence back

You know some people also hate that. And then there's the whole thing of cultural context...

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I was just pointing out that people in this thread, including myself, were saying the exact things you said you find disingenuous. It's not that there aren't people that do what you're saying, but saying you don't believe anyone that says that in a thread where people are saying that exact thing comes off a little insulting.
    Fair enough then.

You know some people also hate that. And then there's the whole thing of cultural context...
    I guess sometimes it's also a matter of execution.

I guess sometimes it's also a matter of execution.
    Yes. In my mind, it always comes down to execution. Some ideas just might have more challenges, but in my mind almost anything can be done - it's just about how they go about it. I love "cocky, confident Hal" but some writers make him look like a dick, while others are able to write him as awesome. Same brush, just different techniques.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Yes. In my mind, it always comes down to execution. Some ideas just might have more challenges, but in my mind almost anything can be done - it's just about how they go about it. I love "cocky, confident Hal" but some writers make him look like a dick, while others are able to write him as awesome. Same brush, just different techniques.
    It really comes down to how a writer understands confidence. Too many people think it's macho posturing when the opposite is true. In my experience, the most confident people are the ones least likely to be trying to prove how awesome they are.

It was the key difference between Hal and Guy back in the day. Guy was desperately overcompensating because he didn't actually think he was the "Greatest GL" whereas Hal felt he had nothing to prove and was much more chill.

That said, I think Johns's more over-the-top characterization also made sense because of where Hal was at that stage of his life, finally redeemed from his crimes as Parallax, but still hiding the guilt for his part in it buried under a lot of cocksure braggadocio.

And, emerging out of Johns's era, we have Morrison's Hal, who's regained his old confidence and has nothing to prove to anyone, particularly himself.

It will be interesting to see where Tamaki's Hal lands on this. Hopefully, we don't get a reversion.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Meanwhile people tend to dislike characters who are way too self-defeating

Everyone hates Black Panther's current characterization as a whiney wimpy loser and wish he'd get his pride and confidence back
    I certainly hate the current incarnation of BP.

Huh, if Hal spent time in Wakanda, would he called the Green Wolf?