Page 27 of 202 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777127 ... LastLast

I don't know, didn't he speak about those plans like in March of the last year? I'd think that these plans simply didn't materialize.

Spectacular Member

Well strange reaction when it's obvious Hal will be the veteran for the young Heroes. I don't see DC kill Hal. You can be happy Hal have (again) spotlight for a moment.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NathanS View Post
    Any reason you feel that way or just a gut thing?

To be honest I feel if they do put Hal down it'll be aiming for another long time dead. An attempt to cull the over abundance of Earth GL's by dropping the one they see as having the least possiblilty of adopting.
    Just a gut feeling. But I think DC has been looking for a way to gracefully remove Hal from the stage for a while now due to the overabundance of human GLs right now. The problem is they know the character is popular, so they've got to do it right, otherwise they'll just be creating more demand for him to return in order to undo his shabby death.

If, however, he's given a decent death, going out in a blaze of glory, they could reasonably keep him dead for a few years until someone has a take on him that isn't going to seem pedestrian compared to what Morrison & Sharpe pulled off.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dioman-san View Post
    Well strange reaction when it's obvious Hal will be the veteran for the young Heroes. I don't see DC kill Hal. You can be happy Hal have (again) spotlight for a moment.
    I'm very happy about it. If he's given a juicy role and he lives, great. If he's given a juicy role that has him sacrifice himself, even better.

Either way, DC is going to keep publishing comics with Hal Jordan in them.

I was thinking that you, and others, might be reading a bit too much into preview art, but then I remembered that Williamson is using pretty much everything that Morrison has ever used. So yeah, I could now see him trying to do something with Hal. Has he ever written Hal before?

Williamson really bugs me, on paper it looks he likes lots of characters/concepts that I like as well, but I just can't stand what he actually does with them. So I'm sure that I'm going to hate his take on Hal as well. Is it my inner fanboy screaming "I WOULD HAVE DONE IT DIFFERENTLY"? Or is there some merit behind this feeling? What do you think Bored? If I'm not mistaken you wrote something about changing your opinion on his recent work after latest JL Incarnate issue?

Astonishing Member

Johns already dead so need to axe Hal. They can always axe Guy and Baz, and the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I was thinking that you, and others, might be reading a bit too much into preview art, but then I remembered that Williamson is using pretty much everything that Morrison has ever used. So yeah, I could now see him trying to do something with Hal. Has he ever written Hal before?

Williamson really bugs me, on paper it looks he likes lots of characters/concepts that I like as well, but I just can't stand what he actually does with them. So I'm sure that I'm going to hate his take on Hal as well. Is it my inner fanboy screaming "I WOULD HAVE DONE IT DIFFERENTLY"? Or is there some merit behind this feeling? What do you think Bored? If I'm not mistaken you wrote something about changing your opinion on his recent work after latest JL Incarnate issue?
    Williamson wrote Hal a few times in his Flash run. I thought he did a good job writing him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Just a gut feeling. But I think DC has been looking for a way to gracefully remove Hal from the stage for a while now due to the overabundance of human GLs right now. The problem is they know the character is popular, so they've got to do it right, otherwise they'll just be creating more demand for him to return in order to undo his shabby death.

If, however, he's given a decent death, going out in a blaze of glory, they could reasonably keep him dead for a few years until someone has a take on him that isn't going to seem pedestrian compared to what Morrison & Sharpe pulled off.
    I'd hate Hal to have to suffer for the glut of human GL's given he was the first (not counting Alan Scott). Doesn't really seem like they're planning to kill him off otherwise unless John being gone in Dark Crisis is to "save" him as the main GL. Just doesn't really seem like what they're setting up.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    They can always axe Guy and Baz, and the rest.
    Yeah, there's zero chance of that happening.

Fantastic Member

Simon seems to have caught on the least so theoretically they could just... let him fad away but since he's slated for HBO that kind of goes out the window. Hal is where the modern GL mytho starts, but for adaptation, he's a poisoned brand since his movie flopped, and lacks a clear niche. John has 'default' Lantern on lock-down since the JLA cartoon, along with the leader and role model of a GL thing Hal often had back in the 70's, 80's and early 90's, and Guy covers hot-headed in a more played-up way that works very well in team stuff. Hal is just kind of... superfluous to requirements.

Simon seems to have caught on the least so theoretically they could just... let him fad away but since he's slated for HBO that kind of goes out the window. Hal is where the modern GL mytho starts, but for adaptation, he's a poisoned brand since his movie flopped, and lacks a clear niche. John has 'default' Lantern on lock-down since the JLA cartoon, along with the leader and role model of a GL thing Hal often had back in the 70's, 80's and early 90's, and Guy covers hot-headed in a more played-up way that works very well in team stuff. Hal is just kind of... superfluous to requirements.
    I don't think Hal's that poisonous. He had a great cartoon.

Killing Hal off because there are too many Lanterns would be DC being tone-deaf beyond rhyme or reason. They were the ones who created all these new Lanterns the franchise could not hope to sustain. They would want to get rid of one of the few Lanterns they have who is an actual top tier character because there's too many others who share his power set? They would essentially be pandering to the stan twitter crowd. The same people who wanted Hal as far away from the Justice League as possible(and largely got their wish) were now asking why was Hal not part of the "dead" Leaguers since he's a founding member. lol This is the kind of people DC would like to pander to? I'm sure there can be a better outcome regardless of how "poisonous" Hal may be perceived to be.
    Last edited by Johnny; 02-10-2022 at 12:20 PM.

Astonishing Member

That last pic with the... face in the bottom right has me worried...
    And from what I've read here so far. I am extremely worried.

Who knew Bored has such influence on my feelings.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think Hal's that poisonous. He had a great cartoon.
    Yes to the cartoon.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I don't know, didn't he speak about those plans like in March of the last year? I'd think that these plans simply didn't materialize.
    What plans were those?

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    What plans were those?
    He never elaborated since he didn't want to spoil them. He was a guest on the Word Balloon show and was asked a fan question if there were plans for Hal down the line and his only answer was "Yes".
    Last edited by Johnny; 02-10-2022 at 11:44 AM.