Page 63 of 202 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113163 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    And neither was Hal when he was Parallax or the God of Light, or Kyle when he was Ion.

I'm not trying to bust your balls here, as I agree with your intent. I think it was necessary, just as it was necessary to resolve John's dangling godhood plotline left unresolved since GL: Mosiac.

However, come on, man. We all know that John Stewart is a GL character, irregardless of what he's called at this particular moment.
    john is not a green lantern anymore.

i don't know how much more simply and directly i can say that.

in the same way that the teen lantern is not a green lantern and alan scott is not a member of the corps, john is no longer a green lantern.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    john is not a green lantern anymore.

i don't know how much more simply and directly i can say that.

in the same way that the teen lantern is not a green lantern and alan scott is not a member of the corps, john is no longer a green lantern.
    I'm not arguing that John is a regular GL. He isn't. I'm saying he's a GL character, which he clearly is.

Alan Scott is a Green Lantern, even if he's not a member of the GLCorps. Teen Lantern is a GL character even if she wasn't given a power ring.

Similarly, the Conner Kent Superboy is a Superman character, even if he'll likely never get to be called Superman. Same deal with Supergirl. They're Superman characters.

John Stewart is a Green Lantern character. And he's now more special than the rest of the GL characters.

Which is totally fine by me as I really dig the character, but that's the end result of this story, which was exactly what was done with Hal in Emerald Dawn, attempted to be done with John in Mosaic, then again with Kyle in the Ion story. It's a tried and true trope in superhero comics, particularly with GL characters. And I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with this particular incarnation of the character.

I'm not arguing that John is a regular GL. He isn't. I'm saying he's a GL character, which he clearly is.

Alan Scott is a Green Lantern, even if he's not a member of the GLCorps. Teen Lantern is a GL character even if she wasn't given a power ring.

Similarly, the Conner Kent Superboy is a Superman character, even if he'll likely never get to be called Superman. Same deal with Supergirl. They're Superman characters.

John Stewart is a Green Lantern character. And he's now more special than the rest of the GL characters.

Which is totally fine by me as I really dig the character, but that's the end result of this story, which was exactly what was done with Hal in Emerald Dawn, attempted to be done with John in Mosaic, then again with Kyle in the Ion story. It's a tried and true trope in superhero comics, particularly with GL characters. And I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with this particular incarnation of the character.
    this is called moving the goalposts, i'm afraid.

the statement is- "No Green Lantern is more special than any of the others."

the response was –"I'm looking at John Stewart as of issue 12."

the rebuttal is - "John Stewart is no longer a Green Lantern, special or otherwise."

Not one was talking about GL characters, in general. That's not the subject. Words actually do have meanings.

Nice try, though.

this is called moving the goalposts, i'm afraid.

the statement is- "No Green Lantern is more special than any of the others."

the response was –"I'm looking at John Stewart as of issue 12."

the rebuttal is - "John Stewart is no longer a Green Lantern, special or otherwise."

Not one was talking about GL characters, in general. That's not the subject. Words actually do have meanings.

Nice try, though.
    Sure. That's fair, but the end result is the same. You've leveled the playing field for all GLs (which I agree with), but did so by elevating John to the special status you're attempting to course correct from. Now, that's not necessarily a bad thing, depending upon how your Emerald Knight story ends up playing out.

Sure. That's fair, but the end result is the same.You've leveled the playing field for all GLs (which I agree with)
    No, it is not. And, no, I did not.

, but did so by elevating John to the special status you're attempting to course correct from.
    Again, that's false. The current status of the GLs has nothing to do with John's ascension. His ascension only gave him the means to help them back on their feet. He's not one of them anymore so his new status has no relationship to theirs. No ring for john. No physical or mission connection to the beacon or to the Lanterns. Of course, he has an emotional connection to his friends but that's not what we're talking about.

Even if DC put everything back the way it was- Guardians, Battery, etc.- John's ascension would remain unaffected. There's no longer a relationship between him and the corps.

Now, that's not necessarily a bad thing, depending upon how your Emerald Knight story ends up playing out.
    The emerald knights have their own stuff to do. which is sort of the point of making something new. while the company may choose to loop everything back to zero at some point, that was not the plan when i signed on and is not the plan for john and the knights.

Man I hope that the new Discovery regime focuses on the GL franchise again. Least they could do if they’re too gunshy to actually give us an update on the movie is bring back GLTAS
    Last edited by Vordan; 04-14-2022 at 08:17 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The emerald knights have their own stuff to do. which is sort of the point of making something new. while the company may choose to loop everything back to zero at some point, that was not the plan when i signed on and is not the plan for john and the knights.
    It'll be interesting to see who or what the Knights are since they're not Green Lanterns, yet there will be a bunch of GLs in the Dark Sectors.

I'm curious if they'll now have to change John's outfit in "Death of Justice League" and when that takes place in John's timeline. He seems to be wearing the one he only briefly wore during this storyline. And the images of his coffin have a GL symbol.... Again, we know DC lies in their promos, so it'll be interesting to see how this all lines up.

But since this is the Hal thread, here's Hal in his ascended New God form: (can you believe Tom "I don't even know what will is" King wrote this?)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 04-14-2022 at 07:32 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    It'll be interesting to see who or what the Knights are since they're not Green Lanterns, yet there will be a bunch of GLs in the Dark Sectors.

I'm curious if they'll now have to change John's outfit in "Death of Justice League" and when that takes place in John's timeline. He seems to be wearing the one he only briefly wore during this storyline. And the images of his coffin have a GL symbol.... Again, we know DC lies in their promos, so it'll be interesting to see how this all lines up.

But since this is the Hal thread, here's Hal in his ascended New God form: (can you believe Tom "I don't even know what will is" King wrote this?)
    Still one of his best works. That issue was worth the event alone.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Fantastic Member

I will just say I have zero issues with John's state, it's just at the moment hard to not see him through the lens of being a GL in all but name. Maybe what happens in the John Stweart and the Emerald Knights will make him feel more fully cut off from GL and in his own corner. And that is the last I'll say on that subject.

Astonishing Member

https://screenrant.com/green-lantern...k-dc-universe/

It's actually the Marvel Universe that's not real.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Hal vs Deathstorm.

DeathstormHal.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Man I hope that the new Discovery regime focuses on the GL franchise again. Least they could do if they’re too gunshy to actually give us an update on the movie is bring back GLTAS
    100% yes to this. I want to see Hal, Guy, and John in their planned Sinestro Corps War arc.

Look, I wish you luck in creating something new to explore for John and I'll definitely be there for at least the first issue, but it's not a matter of whether "the company may choose" to do something, it's an absolute certainty that John Stewart will be called Green Lantern again.

We're really in the wrong thread for this, but I appreciate you taking the time to chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I think the biggest issue with bringing back GLTAS has always been the budget with 3D animation. I still believe the show's revival would've been an actual realistic possibility had it been traditional animation like YJ. And even with YJ, after its revival I've seen complaints about the show supposedly looking cheap which noone used to say in the past.
    Last edited by Johnny; 04-15-2022 at 02:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    https://screenrant.com/green-lantern...k-dc-universe/

It's actually the Marvel Universe that's not real.
    Marvel really took the piss out of DC's character assassination of Hal here. Totally had it coming. Sharp must have really got a kick out of drawing that.