Page 89 of 202 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399139189 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,335 of 3027
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Catchy song

Does anyone know how much Hal was in "Road to Dark Crisis #1?"

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Does anyone know how much Hal was in "Road to Dark Crisis #1?"
    He’s the co-lead with Jackson Hyde in one of the five stories, so I suppose 1/5 of the book. About 9 to 10 pages I’d guess.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

^^ Yeah, another example of how bad "ACW" was. (or was this from the GL Special?) Either way, Superman hangs around one city on earth, and Hal has a sector of space to patrol. So yeah - get bent, Clark.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    ^^ Yeah, another example of how bad "ACW" was. (or was this from the GL Special?) Either way, Superman hangs around one city on earth, and Hal has a sector of space to patrol. So yeah - get bent, Clark.
    Let's not even forget he spends a big chunk of that time in one city screwing with the heads of Jimmy and Lois for shits and giggles instead of doing his job as a superhero

To be fair this seems rather out of character for Clark anyway, since he's not judgmental of anybody, let alone his friends' personal lives. Seems more like something Bruce would do, though he'd probably only care about Hal being "irresponsible" if it involves the League somehow. Bruce likely couldn't care less what Hal does in his private life. He may help him with the apartment issue but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber View Post
    Actually, if I recall correctly, Hal went to Bruce Wayne for help, and Bruce, like just about everyone else, told Hal to get lost.

There was REALLY strange writing going on for Green Lantern in the late 1980s. That's why Gerard Jones characterized Hal as a down on his luck washed up hobo. He was only working off the continuity that DC told him to incorporate. He didn't actually initially want to do that.
    If I recall correctly, Clark was the only one who was nice to Hal in that montage of rejection. I think Hal saw that Clark was already overburdened and actually felt bad taking up his time, so he begged off because he didn't want to add to it. The above scene was a different time. But either way, Supes was out of character there. There's a later scene where Hal recollects their exchange with Superman being even more of a dick, (was that when John was fighting Apartheid?) but then Hal kinda catches himself and says, "He wasn't really that rude" - which I wonder if it was a slight retcon of that scene - as though we're seeing it through how Hal feels, rather than what Superman actually said.

But yes, a weird time with Hal's writing around that time.

Fantastic Member

I think that panel was already Hal's second go-around remembering the conversation, and it was already getting worse.
    Right this is the first memory we have of Clack's vist to Hal:

In the rejection Clark is the nicest but still sort "man you need to get your act together." about it:
    Last edited by NathanS; 06-01-2022 at 10:48 AM.

Lol Bendis made a point of acknowledging that Clark can be a real dick sometimes to Hal

Interesting that even back before Hal went Parallux that there was some animosity between Hal and Bruce with Hal thinking Bruce only pretends to be his friend.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by NathanS View Post
    I think that panel was already Hal's second go-around remembering the conversation, and it was already getting worse.
    Right this is the first memory we have of Clack's vist to Hal:

In the rejection Clark is the nicest but still sort "man you need to get your act together." about it:
    "Carter, John, and Arthur were never really my friends...Barry's dead...Bruce pretends to be..." - Jeez, that's kind of sad.

Like he's closer to Ray than any of them?

He doesn't even have Diana's number.

John as in John Stewart? Or J'onn?

lol So is this why Superman is always a jerk to Hal in DC Super Hero Girls too. Though I guess in that universe Hal has it coming, since he's apparently the biggest jerk of all.

His appearance in the latest DCSHG/TTG crossover movie wasn't that bad though. In the end he even tells the other boys to stand down since he knows the girls can handle the villain on their own.
    Last edited by Johnny; 06-01-2022 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Lol Bendis made a point of acknowledging that Clark can be a real dick sometimes to Hal
    Where was this from?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    lol So is this why Superman is always a jerk to Hal in DC Super Hero Girls too. Though I guess in that universe Hal has it coming, since he's apparently the biggest jerk of all.
    Not positive, but I imagine that depiction of Superman blowing off Hal carried over from the Lego movies. (I think Lego Batman in particular?) And Hal isn't really a jerk in DCSHG - he's a bit too cocky, but all the characters have their one defining fault and are usually depicted as heroes despite their shortcomings.

Superman is more of a jerk in DCSHG than Hal is.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    "Carter, John, and Arthur were never really my friends...Barry's dead...Bruce pretends to be..." - Jeez, that's kind of sad.

Like he's closer to Ray than any of them?

He doesn't even have Diana's number.

John as in John Stewart? Or J'onn?
    John Stewart. He's... understandably not in a good mood when at Hal calls him after getting back to Earth after being in a space jail, over the whole Star Sapphire killing Kat and framing John for it so he's in jail.

ACW 606 is Hal feeling like his life is falling apart and realizing he could use being around some friends to help him ground himself. Which heck is a great message in a lot of ways. If you're stressed don't try to go it alone. Shame all his friends in it are assholes. And yes Clark is the nicest to Hal in it, but well the bar is LOW.