Page 96 of 202 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596979899100106146196 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,440 of 3027

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Huh, now I'm imagining the Spectre is like the Avatar where past hosts haunt the current one.
    Makes me wonder what a multiversal Spectre Corps might look like.

More Hal in "Dark Crisis"

And this is Barry not Wally, so it seems like Wally and Hal did manage to find him. I like Hal's prominence in this event but I can't help but wonder about his status afterwards. At least he's reunited with his buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    And this is Barry not Wally, so it seems like Wally and Hal did manage to find him. I like Hal's prominence in this event but I can't help but wonder about his status afterwards. At least he's reunited with his buddy.
    If anybody can get Barry out, it's them...

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Possible minor spoilers I guess, based on what's been solicited:
    spoilers:
    Well, Hal is on the cover of Dark Crisis #3 going against Pariah, which comes out the same month as Flash 785. Hal's also on the variant cover of Flash 786. (which oddly isn't listed in the Dark Crisis reading list) Make of that what you will.
    end of spoilers
    I predict a typical Johns/Venditti-style Hal outing where he's all big words and spouting one-liners like some cliched action hero only to get punked at the end.

To be honest, while a part of me is glad that Hal is actually present in this event, part of me is also extremely skeptical of having a writer as mediocre as Williamson bringing Hal into prominence. I'd much rather someone do a thoughtful and nuanced depiction of Hal as a character drawing on all his contradictions that make him fascinating than just have him in some prominent position at any cost even when he's written in a less than satisfactory way. I don't think anything I've seen from Williamson's depiction of Hal so far makes me assured he understands Hal beyond the way Johns and Venditti wrote him.

This was actually a really good story.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxStirner_91 View Post
    To be honest, while a part of me is glad that Hal is actually present in this event, part of me is also extremely skeptical of having a writer as mediocre as Williamson bringing Hal into prominence. I'd much rather someone do a thoughtful and nuanced depiction of Hal as a character drawing on all his contradictions that make him fascinating than just have him in some prominent position at any cost even when he's written in a less than satisfactory way. I don't think anything I've seen from Williamson's depiction of Hal so far makes me assured he understands Hal beyond the way Johns and Venditti wrote him.
    Yeah, I've never been too impressed by the stuff I've read from Williamson, which was mainly half of his Flash run (serviceable if forgettable) and JL #75 (just bad).

I predict a typical Johns/Venditti-style Hal outing where he's all big words and spouting one-liners like some cliched action hero only to get punked at the end.
    He might get punked but I expect him to go all out if he does.

Or at least I hope, Williamson wasn't even able to write a good sendoff for the main League.
    At least in the context of the story I think the way they're using Hal makes sense. I also think Williamson gets Hal as a character well enough that I have some faith here but I think we might have different standards for Hal's characterization .

I see Hal as the IT guy. Cocky because all the little stuff is beneath him and is tired of having to save the day because of others incompetence.

BANNED

Agreed. I always preferred Hal's more human depictions like New Frontier, Flash and GL: Brave and the Bold, or even the Emerald Dawn stories. When they overdo the macho, cocky stuff I find it alienating.

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Agreed. I always preferred Hal's more human depictions like New Frontier, Flash and GL: Brave and the Bold, or even the Emerald Dawn stories. When they overdo the macho, cocky stuff I find it alienating.
    I think it's like with most characters where there's a distinction between the Superhero side and the civilian side. As a hero Hal is brash, confident, and capable, but he still has his vulnerabilities.

Extraordinary Member

I understand completely.

Fantastic Member

I think people sometimes forget the amount of self-reflection Hal does in John's run. That and Hal's always been a sort of two masters ' self-confident Hal' arguably starting with Broome and ' self-doubt Hal' starting with O'Neil. synthesizing those two is... hard and no balance will ever please everyone. My personal fatigue is Wolfman stuff... that most people still haven't seen because DC just won't re-print it for some damn reason!

Also, it's really hard to get into other sides of Hal when he's just off to fight a bad guy. It takes longer more meaningful interactions with characters to really establish any depth to a character.
    Last edited by NathanS; 06-15-2022 at 10:18 PM.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

The most I expect out of Dark Crisis is generally spectacle.

So I don't expect Hal to really succeed, but my expectation is primarily that he goes down fighting and spectacularly so.

And also Kyle and Guy showing up so they can all fight like brothers together.