Page 97 of 202 FirstFirst ... 478793949596979899100101107147197 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 3027
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NathanS View Post
    I think people sometimes forget the amount of self-reflection Hal does in John's run. That and Hal's always been a sort of two masters ' self-confident Hal' arguably starting with Broome and ' self-doubt Hal' starting with O'Neil. synthesizing those two is... hard and no balance will ever please everyone. My personal fatigue is Wolfman stuff... that most people still haven't seen because DC just won't re-print it for some damn reason!
    I'm not going to get into this too much again since people got very argumentative last time, but while Johns' Hal had some good moments, he definitely played up the macho, womanizing, military jerk thing way too much and it soured me on Hal's character over time. I'm an old punk rock guy, so whenever they go too hard at making the character a cop/military jock type of guy, I find it personally hard to like the character. I don't think Johns is very good at nuance, either, so Hal went from being a favorite of mine that I was thrilled to have back to the kind of guy I can't stand in real life.

Fantastic Member

To be fair its always been a bit of a contradiction in Hal. He was said from day one to be a 'patrol-man' and well... is a test pilot which is something you tend to become by... being in the military. But also carried with it terms of a rebellious streak. At least in pop culture. O'Neil leaned HEAVY into the policeman element crafting a Hal who was purely by the book type, he believes in the following authority (often to... insane degrees in the famed 12 issues,) and working in the system. We then get a Hal defined more by that rebellious streak image and the whole 'fearless' element. But again the two have always co-existed in a fascinating but uneasy balance and each writer will end up balancing and trying to deal with the contradictions differently.
    Last edited by NathanS; 06-15-2022 at 10:59 PM.

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

Hal's always been a sort of two masters ' self-confident Hal' arguably starting with Broome and ' self-doubt Hal' starting with O'Neil. synthesizing those two is... hard and no balance will ever please everyone.
    I can't speak for everyone but I think Cooke nailed the dichotomy the Hal. And so did the writers of GLTAS.

I'm happy to see Hal used in Dark Crisis, (in a significant way, according to interviews) but I'll be happy if he's just shown as an effective hero - I don't expect any character work for him in a big event series, though I'm hoping for some nice scenes with him and Barry. I'm encouraged that Williamson remembered Hal and Wally are close so that's a good start. His role here is as part of the "mentor generation" so I don't expect much of "cocky Hal" here.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledMan View Post
    I can't speak for everyone but I think Cooke nailed the dichotomy the Hal. And so did the writers of GLTAS.
    Imo, GLTAS is the gold standard for modern Hal & Guy.

To be fair its always been a bit of a contradiction in Hal. He was said from day one to be a 'patrol-man' and well... is a test pilot which is something you tend to become by... being in the military. But also carried with it terms of a rebellious streak. At least in pop culture. O'Neil leaned HEAVY into the policeman element crafting a Hal who was purely by the book type, he believes in the following authority (often to... insane degrees in the famed 12 issues,) and working in the system. We then get a Hal defined more by that rebellious streak image and the whole 'fearless' element. But again the two have always co-existed in a fascinating but uneasy balance and each writer will end up balancing and trying to deal with the contradictions differently.
    This is where I see it as well.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Does anyone know why the complete collection trades for the Geoff Johns Green Lantern run hasn't gotten a new installment since vol 4 in 2020?

Like I got volume 3 which was the Sinestro War and that was fantastic, so its kinda disappointing I can't finish that collection. Gonna have to go with the very expensive omnibuses if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Imo, GLTAS is the gold standard for modern Hal & Guy.
    While I like what they did with Guy - it was an interesting twist to make him super-liked by all - I prefer a Guy who rubs most people the wrong way with only a few friends who understand and appreciate him.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    While I like what they did with Guy - it was an interesting twist to make him super-liked by all - I prefer a Guy who rubs most people the wrong way with only a few friends who understand and appreciate him.
    Same. It was a nice joke in the show but realistically not many people would actually like Guy .

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Does anyone know why the complete collection trades for the Geoff Johns Green Lantern run hasn't gotten a new installment since vol 4 in 2020?

Like I got volume 3 which was the Sinestro War and that was fantastic, so its kinda disappointing I can't finish that collection. Gonna have to go with the very expensive omnibuses if necessary.
    That’s why lol, DC wants you to buy the omnis
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I see what you mean. However, I thought Guy was manipulative with his meeting with the Guardians, and goading Hal. He still hit on the reporter, iirc. Straight arrow characters will still give him the side eye.

I still imagine Guy & Hal falling out had the series continued due to both having strong personalities, but different ways of dealing with problems.

Guy was still an a-hole, just not as dangerous when Englehart initially repackaged him.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Where is this from?

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Where is this from?
    End of the second arc of New 52 Justice League, so issue 12 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledMan View Post
    End of the second arc of New 52 Justice League, so issue 12 I think.
    It was stupid having Hal resign over something so ... stupid.