Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Marvel Studios and Disney’s Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness earned a sizeable $36 million in Thursday evening previews at the North American box office to score the eighth best preview gross ever behind Avengers: Infinity War, not adjusted for inflation.

Directed by Sam Raimi, the tentpole returns Benedict Cumberbatch in the titular role. Tracking suggests the latest entry in the Marvel Cinematic Universe will gross anywhere from $160 million to $180 million in its domestic debut, and more than $300 million globally. Some pundits believe weekend numbers could come in even higher, but acknowledge it all depends on how front-loaded the $200 million movie is.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ng-1235141845/
    A comparison would be 5.7 million Thursday box office for Morbius. 9.5 million for Eternals and 50 million for the last Spiderman.

Marvel is going to be very happy with the opening, the only question will be if the film has legs. Even if it doesn't its already looking to pull well over a billion globally.

The Rotten Tomatoes number is right now in the upper 70s, but thousands of verified film goers on Rotten Tomatoes are giving it 89% favorable number so far. This looks like everything critically and in terms of sales Fox wished Dark Phoenix (either of them) could have come close to doing.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Darker than Scarlet isn't even that Dark. She kills no one. She has a breakdown, becomes manipulated and is shown to have been manipulated her whole life. Byrne doing to her what he had done to Jean and Sue inspired Bendis to wreck her further though. I also wouldn't really call her other times in the Brotherhood her really being in it. When the other two times were not with her consent.

Definitely most of her career wasn't this sort of mess.
    Yes, she didn't kill anyone there and was stopped two times by Magneto. My point was she was cartoonishly villainous in Darker than Scarlet. She actually did kill many people in AD/House of M, but she was certainly more sympathetic. It was half depicted there that her powers were so jacked up her hold on reality was tenuous at best.

spoilers:
    The Scarlet Witch in MoM was ruthless, relentless, and emotionally broken; but she wasn't out of control the same way as AD/HoM.

Osen's performance was amazing in MoM.
    end of spoilers

The Scarlet Witch's popularity has been skyrocketing and this film will just accelerate that. It is at the point where she is more popular globally then even Magneto right now. For Lorna and Pietro at this point in terms of future MCU role it is more of a question of how can they be relevant and not be consumed by the massive vortex that is their vastly more popular and well-known family members?

For Magneto the MCU will have an amazing and prepackaged history and pathos for Magneto with the Holocaust they need only to figure out how to deal with his age which isn't that hard.

The Gifted season #1 was a case where Lorna had to make her own choices and live her own life without a Magneto figure to follow nor fight. For Lorna and Pietro in the MCU if they appear, the question will fast turn into how to exist and not be basically written around their more popular family members?
    Last edited by jmc247; 05-06-2022 at 08:32 AM.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/s...58089715331073

The ScarletWitch has arrived at Avengers Campus at Disney California Adventure.

Lots of articles across the press about Wanda and her family today some of them ignore the Axis retcon some of them don't.

Washington Post: The portrayal of Wanda’s identity has also faced backlash. In the comics, she was long depicted as Jewish — for decades, her father was believed to be X-Men antihero Magneto, who survived the Holocaust. But Marvel later established that Wanda’s father was someone else, effectively stripping her of her Jewish heritage, which angered some fans. She was also raised by a Romani family, but that has not yet made it into the MCU.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/comic...e-wandavision/
    That kind gets to the problem with the adopted family concept in that Magneto didn't raise them. I do think Axis will go away fully, but not for a few years. I also see Magneto trending this morning on Twitter along with Scarlet Witch.

spoilers:
    The Fox films absolutely failed with the Dark Phoenix storyline. I do think this will go down as a similar concept actually done right even with some scripting weakness.

There are some lessons from the film for the entire family in that frankly much like with Magneto and his basic ethos of having good intentions, but questionable methods these very basic concepts work with much of the family.
    end of spoilers

In terms of the 616 version of the family they are back together (sort of), but they don't really stand for anything at this point.
    Last edited by jmc247; 05-07-2022 at 06:12 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Lots of articles across the press about Wanda and her family today some of them ignore the Axis retcon some of them don't.

That kind gets to the problem with the adopted family concept in that Magneto didn't raise them. I do think Axis will go away fully, but not for a few years. I also see Magneto trending this morning on Twitter along with Scarlet Witch.

spoilers:
    The Fox films absolutely failed with the Dark Phoenix storyline. I do think this will go down as a similar concept actually done right even with some scripting weakness.

There are some lessons from the film for the entire family in that frankly much like with Magneto and his basic ethos of having good intentions, but questionable methods these very basic concepts work with much of the family.
    end of spoilers

In terms of the 616 version of the family they are back together (sort of), but they don't really stand for anything at this point.
    It pretty much went away fully at the end of Trial of Magneto. The only thing left to do is a complete origin story, it’s a clear they are holding off until they do the complete origin story in the MCU. XMen 97 will be a part of the MCU so it maybe dealt with as soon as next year. Of course XMen 97 is in active production.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    It pretty much went away fully at the end of Trial of Magneto. The only thing left to do is a complete origin story, it’s a clear they are holding off until they do the complete origin story in the MCU. XMen 97 will be a part of the MCU so it maybe dealt with as soon as next year. Of course XMen 97 is in active production.
    What is going away is any barrier it seems to talking about them as a family for promotion or treating them as such in universe. But, until the retcon comes down there will be confusion and skittishness in dealing with that matter. Yes, the retcon will come down, but we are a few years away from that point. In the meantime new fans from Wandavision and MoM are picking up House of M and finding about Wanda and her family which is doing what needs to be done there.

I am going to be brutally honest in terms of the comics and other mediums the family has been radically toned down since the Disney buy out (when it wasn't being dismantled) in large part I believe on the basis of creators working for what they think their new boss might want them to do. In some areas I will say that was helpful because the Ultimate Universe Magnus family needed to be gotten rid of. Edgy for the sake of being edgy helps no one.

In most areas attempting to make them what they think Disney would want was not helpful for them though. Wanda and Lorna for example are not Elsa and Anna. Post MoM maybe some get that message. They really need to really think about how all of them are complex and not simply force stereotyped bad family dynamics on them when it doesn't fit as Trial of Magneto often did.

The actual House of M universe had toxic family dynamics by them maneuvering around like a political entity. Magneto trying to marry off Pietro to Storm for political reasons. Magneto using Lorna as a general. That stuff actually worked because they were a metaphor for a toxic family in doing their family business.

Last edited by jmc247; 05-07-2022 at 06:56 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Easiest way to do it is reveal that Magda and Natalya Maximoff are the same woman using different names.

Wanda started out a mutant only. She then became a mutant/witch hybrid. Post-Axis, she is only a witch. She has had four different sets of parents:
    1. Django and Marya Maximoff
    2. The Whizzer and Miss America
    3. Magneto and Magda
    4. Natalya Maximoff and an unknown father

I believe we will go back to the mutant/witch hybrid. Magneto will be her father again, and Natalya Maximoff will be her mother. Natalya will be someone Magneto fell in love with years after Magda abandoned him because she resembled Magda.

Yes, she didn't kill anyone there and was stopped two times by Magneto. My point was she was cartoonishly villainous in Darker than Scarlet. She actually did kill many people in AD/House of M, but she was certainly more sympathetic. It was half depicted there that her powers were so jacked up her hold on reality was tenuous at best.

spoilers:
    The Scarlet Witch in MoM was ruthless, relentless, and emotionally broken; but she wasn't out of control the same way as AD/HoM.

Osen's performance was amazing in MoM.
    end of spoilers

The Scarlet Witch's popularity has been skyrocketing and this film will just accelerate that. It is at the point where she is more popular globally then even Magneto right now. For Lorna and Pietro at this point in terms of future MCU role it is more of a question of how can they be relevant and not be consumed by the massive vortex that is their vastly more popular and well-known family members?

For Magneto the MCU will have an amazing and prepackaged history and pathos for Magneto with the Holocaust they need only to figure out how to deal with his age which isn't that hard.

The Gifted season #1 was a case where Lorna had to make her own choices and live her own life without a Magneto figure to follow nor fight. For Lorna and Pietro in the MCU if they appear, the question will fast turn into how to exist and not be basically written around their more popular family members?
    Her popularity has been skyrocketing since her show and started with Endgame. I don't think that's impacted by how many people she kills. Her being a fully realized character seems to be though. Because she tends to then just become her powers with one singularly focused facet. Nothing well rounded.

She definitely was out of control in ITMoM spoilers:
    She attacked innocent sorcerers because she wanted to kidnap a child in order to kidnap another Wanda's children and play house.
    end of spoilers
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

BANNED

What is going away is any barrier it seems to talking about them as a family for promotion or treating them as such in universe. But, until the retcon comes down there will be confusion and skittishness in dealing with that matter. Yes, the retcon will come down, but we are a few years away from that point. In the meantime new fans from Wandavision and MoM are picking up House of M and finding about Wanda and her family which is doing what needs to be done there.

I am going to be brutally honest in terms of the comics and other mediums the family has been radically toned down since the Disney buy out (when it wasn't being dismantled) in large part I believe on the basis of creators working for what they think their new boss might want them to do. In some areas I will say that was helpful because the Ultimate Universe Magnus family needed to be gotten rid of. Edgy for the sake of being edgy helps no one.

In most areas attempting to make them what they think Disney would want was not helpful for them though. Wanda and Lorna for example are not Elsa and Anna. Post MoM maybe some get that message. They really need to really think about how all of them are complex and not simply force stereotyped bad family dynamics on them when it doesn't fit as Trial of Magneto often did.

The actual House of M universe had toxic family dynamics by them maneuvering around like a political entity. Magneto trying to marry off Pietro to Storm for political reasons. Magneto using Lorna as a general. That stuff actually worked because they were a metaphor for a toxic family in doing their family business.

The family barriers likely have already been torn down in upcoming projects that have already been written but not done yet ready to be filmed.

I think as early as X-Men 97 we may see the boundaries completely torn apart snd the family reunited. Film and television production was seriously slowed down to the pandemic. If not for that, we’d already see the family reunited. By the time they announce a movie or series to us, it’s already well into development so whether family reunification happens this year or three years it likely has already been written.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Wanda started out a mutant only. She then became a mutant/witch hybrid. Post-Axis, she is only a witch. She has had four different sets of parents:
    1. Django and Marya Maximoff
    2. The Whizzer and Miss America
    3. Magneto and Magda
    4. Natalya Maximoff and an unknown father

I believe we will go back to the mutant/witch hybrid. Magneto will be her father again, and Natalya Maximoff will be her mother. Natalya will be someone Magneto fell in love with years after Magda abandoned him because she resembled Magda.
    I believe you are right snd it’s why they didn’t mention who Wanda’s and Pietro’s father was. They left it open in case Marvel ever got the mutant rights back. Which they did.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

I Found this Interesting........

Regarding the future of #WandaMaximoff in the MCU, Elizabeth Olsen expresses interest in sharing the screen alongside the X-Men.

“If we’re bringing X-Men back, i’ll want to be there… I have no actual plans yet.. I am very excited to have a talk with Kevin [Fiege] about that..”
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    I Found this Interesting........

https://twitter.com/EOlsenCentral/st...54972486381568[/CENTER]
    I like how Elizabeth Olsen wants to explore all angles of Wanda and all of her connections and dynamics.

Wink

From my social media look this weekend Multiverse of Madness had a level of synergy power. Many new fans don’t just want Wanda figures.

jubesycos The Multiverse of Madness was fun (and scary!) But good scary and we really enjoyed it~
    Last edited by jmc247; 05-09-2022 at 02:57 PM.

They had some interesting comments on the podcast at that link. They talk about the retrograde view on witches before the 60s and Wanda came along, though the original western witch concept was women who sold their body and souls to the devil for power.

Anyway.

Link
    Last edited by jmc247; 05-09-2022 at 07:04 PM.