Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Sooo....any thoughts as to the final issue in this series?

It seems the only rebirth that took place occurred

spoilers:
    when Jack of Hearts was brought back by the Surfer. Maybe they should've called it Jack of Hearts Rebirth
    end of spoilers.

The whole series just seemed very anti-climactic.
    It wasn't meant to be anything more.

It was a story told between issues, a lost story if you will, from the last time Marz and Lim were together.

Rebirth was a bad name for it, but it was literally just a 'lost story' from that time, somewhere after issue 82, but before 109.
    Last edited by legion_quest; 07-09-2022 at 07:14 AM.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    It wasn't meant to be anything more.

It was a story told between issues, a lost story if you will, from the last time Marz and Lim were together.

Rebirth was a bad name for it, but it was literally just a 'lost story' from that time, somewhere after issue 82, but before 109.
    Calling the mini series 'lost' implies people were looking for it

I am such a klutz! I actually meant to draw attention to the legendary artwork of John Buscema. Indeed.

Once again, @K7P5V you saved my bacon!

Say, since we were talking about this some time back, can you think of a cool way to define and otherwise employ the Silver Surfer's space-time powers? As it was never clearly defined, I feel like some sharp writer could really dig into something like that.
    You're welcome, Cronus! Glad to know I was able to provide some help for you.

Edit: I think Kirby's last work on the Surfer with Stan Lee was in 1978 on this graphic novel

OMG! Kirby is incomparable (IMHO):

Quote Originally Posted by Darkshadow View Post
    Like I've said before: explore the TWO times the surfer has lived through our iteration of the cosmos. Explore how, apparently, he created the first spark of life in this cosmos. Surfer can write himself if people just use what has been gifted them in mythology and vol 3 as a template.
    That might provide the backdrop for a really interesting story.

I think I was wondering more about the semantics of Surfer's (supposedly) lost...

...then re-acquired "space-time" powers.

Me and KP75V were talking about this briefly a page or two ago.

Galactus definitely tied the loss of Surfer's "space-time" powers to not being able to leave the vicinity of the earth. However, in issue two of Silver Surfer vol. 3, we discover that the Surfer dissolving his own board, passing through Galactus' barrier (with no problem I might add...), then re-materializing the board outside of Galactus' barrier...worked just fine.

But as the last scan above clearly indicates, at the very least, Galactus restored the Surfer to full power. So, something from the Surfer's set of powers was removed. I gather issue 2 of Silver Surfer vol. 3 was just short sighted, lazy writing.

Given Galactus gifted the Surfer with cosmic awareness, the ability to track energies from light years away, heck he even tracked an energy signature through time...I find it terribly hard to believe the Surfer couldn't have at least intuitively understood that he could've dissolved his own board to leave the vicinity of the earth in the first place. Also...in issue 6, vol. 1 of Silver Surfer, we see the Surfer travel time with sheer speed alone, and as he has done many times in fact.

I'm thinking the Surfer's "space-time" powers would be an ability heretofore unexplored. Teleporting through time? Quantum jumping? Slowing down his own local space-time to zero?
    Last edited by Cronus; 07-10-2022 at 12:21 AM.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Calling the mini series 'lost' implies people were looking for it
    Eh, I enjoyed it for what it was.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    Eh, I enjoyed it for what it was.
    To each their own.

The story beats were just terrible, and I was actually looking forward to it.

Where was Ganymede? Why bother to bring back Mar-Vell, and barely use Genis?

And while Jack of Hearts isn't a bad character, he offers nothing as a big bad, even powered up.

And you'd think that they would have contrasted Surfer and Tyrant better, if at all.

The Silver Surfer appears today in Fantastic Four 45

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    The Silver Surfer appears today in Fantastic Four 45
    Now that was a more disappointing story to me than anything 'Rebirth' was or wasn't.

BANNED

So we know for the foreseeable future, the Sentinel of the Spaceways only gets one mini or one shot per year.

So here is your chance to make a wish list of what the next iteration will be.

Post what you want to be seen explored for the Sentinel of the Spaceways in his next outing.

For me, I want to see, as I've said a few times now, a story exploring one of the two times he has relived the entire history of our cosmos. Maybe just a single one shot that details how SS involvement in the first life of this cosmos contributed to Galactus's creation. The servant made the master made the servant. A retelling of the Thor issues from the `60's or Origins of Galactus, but involves a Norrin acting to continue the path he was set upon...unbeknownst...by himself.

Silver Surfer will get a regular series at some point in this decade. He got 14 issues in the 2000s and got 29 issues in the 2010s.

BANNED

Because it wasn't a "comic book" I never got into the graphic novel scene.

Well, the Silver Surfer has been the recipient of several graphic novel treatments. Not the least of which being the very last time Stan Lee and Jack Kirby collaborated. At a time when Kirby had found himself and truly knew who he was as an artist. And the result is 114 pages of under appreciated work. If you are a fan of Radd, you should own "The Silver Surfer, the Ultimate Cosmic Experience".

Quote Originally Posted by Darkshadow View Post
    Because it wasn't a "comic book" I never got into the graphic novel scene.

Well, the Silver Surfer has been the recipient of several graphic novel treatments. Not the least of which being the very last time Stan Lee and Jack Kirby collaborated. At a time when Kirby had found himself and truly knew who he was as an artist. And the result is 114 pages of under appreciated work. If you are a fan of Radd, you should own "The Silver Surfer, the Ultimate Cosmic Experience".
    I concur. Highly Recommended (IMHO):

BANNED

Next year's smattering of SS is called Ghost Light...and they are bringing Harper back as a superhero!
    Last edited by Darkshadow; 10-09-2022 at 11:49 AM.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

A bit of local lore.....

Back when the Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer came out, I went with some of my family to go see the movie at the local movie theater. Fox studios really had some cool promotions for their two movies that were out....The Simpsons and The Fantastic Four movie. They had a beautiful statue of The Surfer in the lobby that was practically life-sized on this board while the Simpson were also featured in a rather larger display. I was going through some of my photos that I keep on my hard drive and found the one I took of the Surfer display.

After the promotion was over, I remember one of the local comic book store owners was able to obtain this piece because the theater didn't need it anymore and the movie company didn't want it back. I believe they probably had more than one out there at various theaters across the country. I am not sure just how many were made. After a while, they stopped displaying this piece in the comic book store because they ran out of room for it.

Fast forward to last week and I was reading an article in the local paper how the store owner decided to move to a larger location (they had been at their current location for around 20 or 30 years). They will now have enough room to bring it out again along with a full sized Deadpool piece that they have.

Here are the pictures I took that day when I went to the Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer movie. You can see the actor who played Reed Richards, Iaon Gruffud on a screen on the wall.

Link to Story in the NW Indiana Times: Longtime Comic Book Shop Moves to New Location

I miss the Surfer, man.

I wish Marvel would give him a good creative team and make people remember why the character is so great.