Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

I liked #4. Of course, I'm a sucker for a Thanos storyline where he humbles several Surfers simultaneously.

Ultimate Member

This mini has been impressively bad, IMO.

What's the point of it all, besides Thanos just stepping on everyone?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post

I'm disappointed to agree. I was expecting to be fully happy with whatever Marz/Lim produced but...Lim's been good...but the plot is terrible. And I don't often use terrible to describe someone's work. So we find out in one of the last pages of #4 that Thanos suspected it was Tyrant (maybe all along). So go find Tyrant and fight. Instead, we had 4 issues of flipping through a photo album of sentimental 90's cosmic characters, all to end up somewhere we could have ended up in a SINGLE large one shot. Not pleased with the obvious milking.

Also, Tyrant's not stupid. The way Jack of Hearts was dispatched is the same way he'd have lost with no power up from Tyrant...so we get this tease of a power cosmic and zero energy infused Jack and absolutely no payoff for it. Tyrant doesn't care about his pawns. He would have just sent him off at normal power and not wasted his own energy.

I wish this miniseries took place in current continuity instead of being a flashback to the 1990s.

how often does time travel figure into Norrin's adventures?

Ultimate Member

Where's Ganymede, anyways?

She was hanging out with Jack at the time, is Tyrant's mortal enemy, and could use a dusting off. Yet there's not a word of her.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Well killing Jack of Hearts was the biggest anti-climatic thing one could do. **see recent issue of She-Hulk**
    What was the purpose of his power up if the result was the same? But the result isn't lasting since Jack is around present day.
    I would've appreciated at least two pages of several panels where a multi-Surfer vs Thanos fight happened.

This mini hasn't been the worst thing I've ever read and at least the art is a saving grace. However, I did expect a bit more.
    Curious how this is wrapped up.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Where's Ganymede, anyways?

She was hanging out with Jack at the time, is Tyrant's mortal enemy, and could use a dusting off. Yet there's not a word of her.
    I know, right?! Ganymede made her final appearance in Cosmic Powers Unlimited #3,
    where she left Jack of Hearts & joined her fellow spinster (Persephone) to continue their pursuit of Tyrant...

Last edited by K7P5V; 07-08-2022 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    how often does time travel figure into Norrin's adventures?
    From issue six of volume I all the way through numerous occasions through his 90's run. Oddly, before taking over the series, Slott said there would be no time travel stuff. And yet, there were two (?) occasions in his run involving time travel. I actually seem to recall giving a rough tally of time travel stories for the Surfer, I believe I had him around 16 separate instances?
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Yeah...have to agree. I mean the art was fun with Lim, but...the obvious milking of this story is just...ugh. I have to wonder what the final point of the story will be, if any?
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Yeah...have to agree. I mean the art was fun with Lim, but...the obvious milking of this story is just...ugh. I have to wonder what the final point of the story will be, if any?
    It will be something along the lines of "What would my life and reality be like had I never become the Silver Surfer?" is my guess. So in essence a Silver Surfer styled adaptation of It's a Wonderful Life. He get's the reality gem, he uses to temporarily give him his life back, he sees the harm caused by the lack of his super powered presence, puts reality back and ... I don't know...does "something" with the reality gem.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkshadow View Post
    It will be something along the lines of "What would my life and reality be like had I never become the Silver Surfer?" is my guess. So in essence a Silver Surfer styled adaptation of It's a Wonderful Life. He get's the reality gem, he uses to temporarily give him his life back, he sees the harm caused by the lack of his super powered presence, puts reality back and ... I don't know...does "something" with the reality gem.
    Sounds as good a prediction as any really. Maybe I'm hoping beyond hope, since Marz actually likes the Silver Surfer, that "something" will be a thing that positively affects his continuity going forward.
    ----------------------

George Perez (RIP)

BANNED

Great, so the last issue is delayed a full month.

Sooo....any thoughts as to the final issue in this series?

It seems the only rebirth that took place occurred

spoilers:
    when Jack of Hearts was brought back by the Surfer. Maybe they should've called it Jack of Hearts Rebirth
    end of spoilers.

The whole series just seemed very anti-climactic.
    ----------------------