Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Interesting how many languages does Sue speak? In her mini she spoke slovak and ukrainian.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Latverian. When Doom was sent to Hell and the F4 occupied Latveria Reed essentially uploaded Latverian into the others' brains.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    It's been mentioned before in this (or the FF thread) but I believe that Ben and Johnny don't prank Sue because she would kick their posteriors. Ben and Johnny seem evenly matched but I suspect Sue has a talent for this that Ben and Johnny want no part of.
    Just look at her pranking the Frightful Four. Although that didn't end well for her .

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    It relates directly to what you claimed, which is Aquaman is more relevant than Namor, which clearly isn't true, if he's been following Namor's lead, well since his creation.
    Perhaps our definitions of the word "relevant" differ then, because I'm still not understanding how that's important. Yeah he gained his relevancy stealing Namor's schtick, doesn't negate that relevancy. I say Aquaman is more relevant because he pops up in people's thoughts and conversations more. You ask some rando off the street who that superhero who lives in the ocean is, either now or even 20 years ago, they'd say Aquaman. But I'll just leave it at that, to avoid dragging this out.
    Last edited by Dipter; 08-06-2022 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Just look at her pranking the Frightful Four. Although that didn't end well for her .
    I don't want to speak ill of the boys in blue, but the NYPD (at least the 616 version) have very little respect for a brilliant prank.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

A collection of Sue images from the Deadpool: Invisible Touch book (art by Lucas Werneck)

If Sue gets a chance at a solo again, I'd 100% want him on the art.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Prior to the mid '60s, or "so", most women, American at least, wore shorter and more styled hairdos.

So while Sue went into that, as most of the female characters of that time, Sue will on occasion show up with different styles and lengths of hair.
    I've always appreciated that.
    In hindsight, I did not care so much for the curly mullet thing Byrne had on her, but it grew out eventually.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    A collection of Sue images from the Deadpool: Invisible Touch book (art by Lucas Werneck)

If Sue gets a chance at a solo again, I'd 100% want him on the art.
    Lovely Sue is lovely .
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I don't want to speak ill of the boys in blue, but the NYPD (at least the 616 version) have very little respect for a brilliant prank.
    Not every day you can say you arrested one of the FF...

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Prior to the mid '60s, or "so", most women, American at least, wore shorter and more styled hairdos.

So while Sue went into that, as most of the female characters of that time, Sue will on occasion show up with different styles and lengths of hair.
    I've always appreciated that.
    In hindsight, I did not care so much for the curly mullet thing Byrne had on her, but it grew out eventually.
    Yeah, it's no surprise that most of the women introduced in that era (Sue, Janet Van Dyne, Jane Foster) wore bobs when introduced. The ones who had longer hair were teenagers (Jean Grey, Gwen and MJ) or introduced a bit later (Black Widow). Once you get into the 1970s, longer hair was the fashion, and the comics reflected it, with characters like Ms. Marvel and Spider-Woman having long hair, and Sue now being shown with a longer do (it was the same at DC, Wonder Woman's long hair has only been the norm since the late 60s, it was originally shoulder length).

Unfortunately, that logic applies to 80s perms and mullets too! Which haven't aged as well as the earlier and later looks. See also, men with long hair, examples being Iron Man (Jheri curl), Bishop (ditto), Nova, Nightwing (both super long ponytails), and even Superman.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 08-07-2022 at 11:42 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Sue always looks good, mostly.
    ~ Oberon ~
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, it's no surprise that most of the women introduced in that era (Sue, Janet Van Dyne, Jane Foster) wore bobs when introduced. The ones who had longer hair were teenagers (Jean Grey, Gwen and MJ) or introduced a bit later (Black Widow). Once you get into the 1970s, longer hair was the fashion, and the comics reflected it, with characters like Ms. Marvel and Spider-Woman having long hair, and Sue now being shown with a longer do (it was the same at DC, Wonder Woman's long hair has only been the norm since the late 60s, it was originally shoulder length).

Unfortunately, that logic applies to 80s perms and mullets too! Which haven't aged as well as the earlier and later looks. See also, men with long hair, examples being Iron Man (Jheri curl), Bishop (ditto), Nova, Nightwing (both super long ponytails), and even Superman.
    Actually, Black Widow appeared in the '60's and did have short/shorter hair (black). It wasn't until about 1970 that Natasha started growing out her hair, (black) then it became red.

Wanda had shorter and much all-over curlier hair when she started out in the 1960's as well (also black) and as her Wimples slower changed, her hair grew longer. Upon returning to the Avengers full-powered, Wanda had her new Auburn hair and a length and style that she kept for quite a while.

Carol Danvers always had long straight blonde hair (60's) but as Ms Marvel (1970's) it was short and layered. Some say this was <to approximate> the competition's powerful girl hair.

Spider-Woman's hair (Jessica) long hair was said to be a wig, although at times, it appeared to be Jessica's. I think they meant for Jess to have shoulder-length hair and SW really long.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Default Who is the Invisible Woman's polar opposite?

I don't think she has an exact opposite, but one comes close: Laynia Petrovna, Darkstar. Both women project energy, one invisible, the other black. Both can shape their energies into constructs, and can fly in their own individual fashion. But there are differences. Sue can make herself and others invisible, and can see invisible objects via her cosmic vision. Laynia can teleport via the Darkforce dimension. To my knowledge this is the only time they've met, in the 80's Contest of Champions, and Sue had yet to fully utilize her force fields offensively.

I'd like to see them clash against one another again, force fields vs darkforce. While Sue can make herself invisible, Laynia can saturate the battle zone with low-density Darkforce, effectively blacking out the area as it is likely Darkforce can block Sue's vision, thus negating both her invisibility and ability to spot Laynia. Sue also can't render it invisible. Both of them would have to subtly probe with their energies to find the other.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    I don't think she has an exact opposite, but one comes close: Laynia Petrovna, Darkstar. Both women project energy, one invisible, the other black. Both can shape their energies into constructs, and can fly in their own individual fashion. But there are differences. Sue can make herself and others invisible, and can see invisible objects via her cosmic vision. Laynia can teleport via the Darkforce dimension. To my knowledge this is the only time they've met, in the 80's Contest of Champions, and Sue had yet to fully utilize her force fields offensively.

I'd like to see them clash against one another again, force fields vs darkforce. While Sue can make herself invisible, Laynia can saturate the battle zone with low-density Darkforce, effectively blacking out the area as it is likely Darkforce can block Sue's vision, thus negating both her invisibility and ability to spot Laynia. Sue also can't render it invisible. Both of them would have to subtly probe with their energies to find the other.
    Requests have been made here for Sue to have acquaintances and friends. Darkstar seems like a good potential rival or frenemy (if the term is still used). The powers match up well and the only possible drawback is Darkstar's X-gene. Can Sue and Darkstar mix it up without the mutants getting involved? Or better yet, the two working together to alleviate tensions between mutant and human.

Has Darkstar been given a personality recently? How would she get along with Sue? A point in common is Laynia's over-protective brother and Sue's attitudes towards Johnny, putting them on opposite sides of a sibling relationship. The FF has a history of bringing guest stars into their extended cast. Darkstar could fit this type of setup very nicely.

Darkstar is a particular favorite of mine. Hated her dying (Fantomex!) and feel her rebirth is very weird, so

let's forget that.

I remember this time they first/only met. And thoughts are the same as you guys.

Contest of Champions, for being so far back in time (mentioned Sue's still growing control over force fields) had one cool thing for me.

Sue was the only one who could move through the weird thing and reveal the enemy. Due to having experienced 'dream-time' with the other character.
    I thought it was a cool moment that should have been capitalized on more.

But back to Darkstar, despite the X-gene thing, they mostly seem to be out of mutant books, I think.

Were they even invited to the Gala?

Way back in the original FF, Sue says something about "beating" the Russians, to the Moon (their origin)

or I'm not quite remembering.
    So maybe it is a thread to use in FF meeting these guys again.
    ~ Oberon ~

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Way back in the original FF, Sue says something about "beating" the Russians, to the Moon (their origin)

or I'm not quite remembering.
    So maybe it is a thread to use in FF meeting these guys again.
    Part of the origin's flight goal was to beat the Russians. But the FF's origin has been very affected by the sliding time scale and realistically, there would be no need to beat the Russians as the US and Russia have a relatively friendly relationship towards space exploration. The shifts in what the flight was for developed from a realistic flight to FTL travel and then a trip 44 light years away.

If Sue and Laynia are going to get together in a story, there really needs to be something more than their powers fit together well. Perhaps Sue's espionage career causes her to connect with Darkstar. Or Krakoa's understandable nervousness about Sue if (WHEN) they decide to try to recruit Franklin again, brings Darkstar as a potential adversary for Sue.

In any case, this seems like a good pair with lots of possibilities.