Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast
    Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by markhyperion View Post
    Has Johnny ever had a chance to lead his OWN FF? He can grow up (again) as leader.
    For a short time Johnny took over his nephew's Fantastic Force much to Franklin's discomfort. And he cobbled together a new FF with She-Hulk, Namorita and Ant-Man while the other three were in the Negative Zone.

Back to Sue… I want her and Laynia to be on opposing missions. It's becoming an obsession with me.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Spectacular Member markhyperion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    For a short time Johnny took over his nephew's Fantastic Force much to Franklin's discomfort. And he cobbled together a new FF with She-Hulk, Namorita and Ant-Man while the other three were in the Negative Zone.

Back to Sue… I want her and Laynia to be on opposing missions. It's becoming an obsession with me.
    Another Sue agent of SHIELD one shot or short series is fine. Just not as small scope as last one. Then Laynia can be working for Russian version. Is there one?

Quote Originally Posted by markhyperion View Post
    This is why (and after current run) I want to see the team break up for a while. Each one has their own thing somewhere.

Reed can do sketchy illuminati things in some secret avengers nonsense with Tony, Steve Strange, etc.

Ben can have two-in-one cause I liked those always.

Has Johnny ever had a chance to lead his OWN FF? He can grow up (again) as leader.

Sue can be placed like I've said on the Guardians. Something better than and all girls team where she's just...another girl.

Her time in the Marvel Adventures run leading an Avengers team with Cap was cool. So was her turn as leader in Deflacos run. She does better sort of when she's on her own.
    I'm not sure I agree with the breaking up part. After Secret Wars, the team had in a way broken up, Johnny hung with Avengers, Ben with Guardians and those two shared MTIO. Reed and Sue hung with the the kids rebuilding the multiverse. That was maybe a year ago, Marvel time.

It's been correctly pointed out that Sue's non-FF appearances have done better by her than her FF appearances. The solution seems obvious. Write her better and more active in FF. Give her minis and guest appearances, but writing her well in her own book should be the goal.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with the breaking up part. After Secret Wars, the team had in a way broken up, Johnny hung with Avengers, Ben with Guardians and those two shared MTIO. Reed and Sue hung with the the kids rebuilding the multiverse. That was maybe a year ago, Marvel time.

It's been correctly pointed out that Sue's non-FF appearances have done better by her than her FF appearances. The solution seems obvious. Write her better and more active in FF. Give her minis and guest appearances, but writing her well in her own book should be the goal.
    It's a such a simple and easy solution yet the majority of FF writers can't seem to do it...
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Next week is Fantastic Four #47!

The story focusing on Sue going all "Die Hard" in the Baxter Building!

I have to wonder whether Marvel noticed that Sue was neglected in the last run and how bad that looks after she was gone for 3 years...

It could be why she got a short story before North takes over the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    It's a such a simple and easy solution yet the majority of FF writers can't seem to do it...
    The team's own recurring members make such recurring mistakes be a thing unfortunately.

It has been pointed out that Sue tends to benefit when Reed isn't around, but she's not even the only one, Johnny was way more mature without Reed and Sue around once he was in whatever Avengers team and Marvel Two-in-One.

In the end, characters can thrive more when being put in different situations, so something like the other F4 members not being around means Sue can be more active, and Johnny can mature.

Not saying this is the only way for characters to improve though, it's just more likely for it to happen if they're thrown in different situations.

It doesn't help that with something like Reed having super intelligence that is practically magic with the nonsense he comes up with, he's a very easy crutch to fall into.

Anyways, since the Sue/Deadpool mini was praised, I read it a few weeks ago, I didn't expect much of it, since it was written by Duggan, and I don't really like his X-Men run (Nor did I like Gala, and that's before I mention how I detested how he wrote MJ there), I expected it to be whatever, but it was actually pretty fun.

Basically Sue and Deadpool had better chemistry than expected, and the way Sue was written, while it's a more usual straight laced, serious hero, I feel it was pretty effective there.

She was serious but not without humor, confident but not too arrogant, was willing to listen to Deadpool's ideas so that made the partnership more interesting, and other characters respected and feared her.

Basically I feel this is a story that can give a good grasp of both of their characters (Though I'm focusing on Sue here), while making them look interesting during it, and that's pretty nice.

Honestly about the worst thing in that comic was how the art got repetitive at times, same page/panel being repeated with slight variations to waste space, but that's about it, was a fun read.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

This is a page from DC's Flashpoint Beyond mini series. The woman, Bonnie Baxter, is a scientist (well, she has a doctorate but her background is history) who was part of Rip Hunter's (her boyfriend at the time) Time Masters team createded in 1959. Her younger brother Corky and Rip's best buddy Jeff Smith (the Jeff on the call) completed that foursome.

Analogies can certainly be drawn, but Baxter taking a stand here without Rip Hunter (who's seen a LOT of solo time in the DCU) is something I think we'd all love to see Sue do more of.

I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

I can't remember if Darkstar and Sue have ever met, fought or collaborated since the Contest way back.

It could be a backstory thing. A story where each of them think, "hmmmm, this woman's powers are similar yet opposite to my own" and maybe a backburner thing,

each of them sorta investigating other covertly (but back, soon after they met, so not current)

Layna is a Russian trained spy after all

and Sue is the Invisible Woman and possibly already working with Shield.

But eventually they meet, spar and then realize they should work together on some mutual stuff.

A new Red Ghost or similar "red" feel that would cover both of their histories?
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Last edited by Crimz; 09-16-2022 at 02:47 PM.

Can't wait for this issue with Sue .

BANNED

Imagine liking a character that has apparently never been written correctly, but still liking it regardless. At what point do you quit complaining about the character and decide it simply isn't your character?

Sue has potential. She's rarely, if ever, been written to some people's standards. Maybe find a new character to latch onto? There's probably no other character in this forum that gets brought up so consistently other than to complain about her representation. If it's so bad, what did you ever see in her?

Modern writing has acknowledged she is the most powerful FF member. I think Alex Ross did a great example of that in Full Circle. Yet, in this thread, we never heard a peep about her impact or the positives about her representation. If all you're going to do is complain about the character, regardless of presentation...damn...just find a new character...

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Reviving one of Grant Morrison's eccentric creations? That takes STONES. Bold move for this creative team.
    I'm curious to see how they handle Exterminatrix from Morrison's MARVEL BOY series here...
    I wonder if they will make Sue and Oubliette kind of dark mirrors of each other because of their strong paternal connections...
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Oubli...as_(Earth-616)
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Besides her Malice costume, Sure really never has had a costume that wasn't based on the F4 look has she? She's the only member of the team thus eh?
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Besides her Malice costume, Sure really never has had a costume that wasn't based on the F4 look has she?
    Aside from her SHIELD uniform, her non-F4 costumes that I do recall were when she was also turned bad against her will. The first was still partly based on it, her hound costume in Days of Future Present.

The second was when the Twisted Sisters transformed her into Torque.

Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES